Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is your Spring Kodiak bear hunt going?

Default How is your Spring Kodiak bear hunt going?

How is your Spring Kodiak bear hunt going?

I'm on Afognak now and have been seeing a few bears but haven't found one I want to shoot. Weather is turning bad today.

2 bears have been taken on the road system. Plenty of bears out, but the weather hasn't cooperated IMO. My buddy took 1 of the 2 on the road system on Apr 6th. Was watching 2 boars boxing, took the bigger of them, ended up 9'6" and 26 n 9/16". I haven't been out at all, it's big king season.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

A friend of mine just got back from Raspberry.........didn't kill one. Only saw a couple small sows w/ cubs. Recent snow still keeping them sleepy. His brother is in the Karluck area now for the next two weeks. Looks like the weather might be nice for a few days. I'll let ya know how he does....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Just back from raspberry myself. Only seen 4 bears nothing I wanted to take. Smaller bears. Hunted 11 days. Weather was not so good; and did not see much sign. Had a great time though.

Spent 10 days hunting Uganik Island/ Terror Bay, Saw 18 bears, none that I wanted to shoot. Terrible weather, but sure was fun. Tons of deer around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Just back from raspberry myself. Only seen 4 bears nothing I wanted to take. Smaller bears. Hunted 11 days. Weather was not so good; and did not see much sign. Had a great time though.
    The friend that just got back from Raspberry somehow was able to talk to a bio.........He said that after the bears come out of their dens and then bad weather sets in and they get snowed on again, rather than go back to their dens, many bears will just find a nice tree to curl up under and basically go back to sleep for awhile. From the sounds of it there was around two feet of fresh snow up top to a couple inches down low. So thank the weather for not seeing many bears moving around.

Now this week may prove to be a different story.........hopefully.

Now this week may prove to be a different story.........hopefully.[/QUOTE]

I hope your right. I'm headed to Kodiak on Thursday for 10 days. I have to imagine the bears should be moving around next week.

Kudos to the guys that passed on below average bears in the hopes of finding "the one". That's why we hunt kodiak, not for 3 or 4
    Year old bears.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Kudos to the guys that passed on below average bears in the hopes of finding "the one". That's why we hunt kodiak, not for 3 or 4
    Year old bears.
    Over the years, what would you say the average age is of the mature bears your hunters have killed...???

Just got back tonight from Ugnanik Island. Only saw two bears in seven days, nothing over 8' but like someone above said the first real warm day was yesterday & today (spent sitting in Kodiak city) was real nice as well. I would imagine even if the rain comes this weekend with two days plus of sun & 45-50 they should start popping out in bigger numbers. Like CapnMike said deer were everywhere which should hopefully mean a good fall season.

4mer I'd say around 9 or 10? We did shoot a 10 footer once that was 5 though....
    Master guide 212

Wow, talk about ground shrink LOL Hope I beat 4mer on posting this HAHA

Touché lol
    Master guide 212

Alaskan living in KY waiting to retire and get back home

Just returned from my successful Kodiak hunt. Bears were moving like crazy the evening we arrived and it killed us not being able to go after one of them, didn't see him again the whole hunt. That big boar milled around less than a mile from the cabin that whole afternoon and evening. Wind would have made it a bit longer hunt but feel we could have gotten him. Saw 9 separate bears that first day none of which were cubs. We glassed the same area the entire next day seeing 7 bear but not the one we wanted. Day three we only saw 4 bear but put the perfect stock on one, if he would have went left he would have been ours but the darn thing turned right and never saw him again, 60 yards away on the opposite side of the alder patch. Next few days were scarce as we only seen a few including a sow with 4 cubs one day and sow with 3 cubs the next day. I ended up taking a nice 8 1/2 foot 20 year old sow with a 25.6 skull according to the biologist. Certainly not what I was going after but still a great hunt. The biologist said that there had been about 52 bears killed with 9 to be of B&C caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbig1bear View Post
    ] I ended up taking a nice 8 1/2 foot 20 year old sow with a 25.6 skull according to the biologist.
    Thanks for the write up..any pics? And congrats on the successful hunt!!
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Alaskan living in KY waiting to retire and get back home

I'm not sure if this will work but here she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations. I'm curious, though. How do you know she was 20 years old? I know ADFG pulls a tooth for aging, but this, (aging), is done in a lab "down south", and typically takes around 6 months to get the results.

Bear.jpg

Got mine on Afognak, 9' 6". got him on the next to the last day

Pretty sure john does the teeth himself on kodiak. He'll ballpark the age when he seals them.
    Master guide 212

AKbig1bear, congrats on the bear. Who did you hunt with? Also. to those who have spoken to John Crye, is he good about answering your calls for information? I have called twice and left messages about my bears tooth aging from spring 2014 and gotten no response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast