Thread: CB Radio channels

Question CB Radio channels

Can anyone tell me which CB and/or CB SSB channels are monitored by truckers on the Dalton? Nice to know when they are coming down a long hill.

Thanks

Mike

Well I was hoping someone with the answer would reply, but I can tell you the last gas station leaving Fairbanks will know, I think they even had it on a sign and I think I recall a sign or two on the highway that mentioned it. When I was up there it was really nice having the CB and being able to communicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanna say it's channel 19 but it's been too long since I've been up there to remember. But there's only 40 of them and channels 30-40 are used for SSB. Just keep on changing the channel and listen, you'll have plenty of time to find it I'm sure. Or if your CB has a scan mode it'll be easy.....as they aren't shy when it comes to gabbin' on the radio......or at least they didn't used to be.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Buddy of mine works a sourdough said 19 as well.

Hey, thanks. I monitored 19 the last couple of trips but it was pretty quiet. Since I also have SSB, I thought I'd ask. I'll move through channels 30-40 and see if I pick anything up. I'll check in Fairbanks for info or maybe at the restaurant after crossing the Yukon. I've only been up a few times. Some of the grades make me a little nervous when I can't see who's coming down. Getting old, I guess. Taking my first fly-in hunt this year and it's out of Happy Valley. It's a long way from Sterling.

Looking forward to it the second week in August. Appreciate the feedback.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Hey, thanks. I monitored 19 the last couple of trips but it was pretty quiet. Since I also have SSB, I thought I'd ask. I'll move through channels 30-40 and see if I pick anything up. I'll check in Fairbanks for info or maybe at the restaurant after crossing the Yukon. I've only been up a few times. Some of the grades make me a little nervous when I can't see who's coming down. Getting old, I guess. Taking my first fly-in hunt this year and it's out of Happy Valley. It's a long way from Sterling.

Mike
    I think most general traffic and DOT, etc. will be on 19. I think the pump stations used to monitor the channel corresponding to the pump station number (one through seven). Not sure if that's still the case. Alyeska and all the private company traffic is on FM.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post

Mike
    I got info on trucks coming up/down hills by leaving mine on a few times and several notifications that it was clear to pass when it was too dusty to see. I believe the bottom of Atigun had the sign with CB instructions that I recall vividly, seemed odd to wait until all the way up there for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 is the only channel you should need up there, and yes the pump stations do monitor the their corresponding channel number.