Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use a 308 for Sheep ???

Default Anybody use a 308 for Sheep ???

I used my 338 last couple years but now have a AR version 308 that is a lot lighter weight than my 338.

My question to you guys is Whom has used a 308 to hunt sheep & how it worked ??

I would really like to use the lighter rifle just not sure about knock down .

I can efficiently shoot both the 338 & the AR 308 at over 400 yds, so I am not worried about that.

Thanks
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

.308 is way more than enough for sheep. Knock down power really isn't much of a consideration with sheep - they may live in difficult places, but they're not hard to kill. Plenty of folks use .308, and many use smaller rounds down to a .243.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post

I can efficiently shoot AR 308 at over 400 yds

Thanks
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936

I'll tip my hat to that type of shooting with an AR setup. You should have absolutely no problems at all for your intended use. As Brian stated, many guys (and women) get the job done with much less.

I think if it wasn't for the toothier critters walking around out there many folks would be using a similar cartridge for the high country.

I've done a lot of hunting with the .308... I'd take one sheep hunting any day without worry.

I've taken critters a fair bit bigger than sheep with mine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I also don't see a problem using a 308, just keep the shots under 500 yards.

Thank you guys for the advise.

That will save me a couple pounds on my back.

As for the bears, My 308 with the larger magazine carrys 20 rounds compaired to the 4 in my 338.

If I cant take him down or at least change his mind with 20 shots he is going to get me no matter what. LOL

Again thanks

RJ Simington

This year I took a sheep and caribou with a 308, and last year my wife took a sheep with a 308. All animals were about 200 yards away and all died quickly. I like the Barnes TSX 150g in the 308s I have.

Just a little unsolicited advice... don't know how much shooting you've done with the .308. My apologies if this is all old hat, someone else may benefit though.

For smaller, softer critters like sheep, deer, caribou, etc. You're going to get quicker kills with bullets softer than you normally would use in a high speed magnum or a .338- especially at the 300 yard mark.... Tough bullets just poke holes without much expansion at lower impact speeds. My son hit a big caribou with his 7-08 and the controlled expansion bullet (Speer DeepCurl) just didn't do diddly except drill a clean hole..7mm in and 7mm out. It would have died eventually, but a lucky 2nd shot into the spine kept the drama level down. A Corelokt or Ballistic tip would have worked far better.

Just food for thought- I'd very likely use a 150gr Ballistic Tip(Hunting) on a sheep in a .308WIN.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    I used my 338 last couple years but now have a AR version 308 that is a lot lighter weight than my 338.

My question to you guys is Whom has used a 308 to hunt sheep & how it worked ??

I would really like to use the lighter rifle just not sure about knock down .

I can efficiently shoot both the 338 & the AR 308 at over 400 yds, so I am not worried about that.

Thanks
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    I've really considered a setup like this, except I was thinking an AR in 6.5 Grendel. One idea I liked was getting a tunable gas block and turning it all the way down, and getting an extended charging handle so it functionally converts an AR, which is already a very compact, lightweight platform, into a bolt action. 6.5 Grendel is a super accurate round and can shoot up to 140 grain bullets.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 308 at a sheep. In my experience, 308 has been more than enough power on caribou and moose.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

we have already taken a couple of Caribou with the 308 the last couple years but they were all under 100 yds.

Absolutely dropped em.

I am shooting 160 grain TSX Barns.

I have a M308 Nikon 800 on it for a scope & it is deadly so far out to 400 yds.

I shot at a fox last winter that was eating a Caribou gut pile our about 700 yds.

The wind was blowing gusty & I kept hitting around it on both sides but let him go after 4 shots.

If it would have been the size of a sheep or Caribou it would have been a different story though.

So when one is considering a good all-around mountain rifle, one that would do the job for both sheep and goat, whats the caliber? With goats usually being harder to bring down, would you still grab the .308?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    So when one is considering a good all-around mountain rifle, one that would do the job for both sheep and goat, whats the caliber? With goats usually being harder to bring down, would you still grab the .308?
    Depends on the person.

-Recoil sensitive?
    -Like to keep all shots under 250/200 yards?
    -Buy factory Ammo?

If yes to Q's like these (and proper bullet selection), you will be extremely hard-pressed to find a better performer IMHO

Now if you like to stretch your shots a bit (and don't mind the added recoil), a 300WM can give you a slight edge on trajectory and wind drift.

Edit- I assume your referring to the 308 Win

Goats tend to be sort of "slab sided" so as a consequence bullets tend to prod through and through wounds that are not immediately lethal. Some of the fastest goat kills (dead right there) that I have seen have been with highly explosive bullets. One of the best combinations I have seen is a 270 Win with an original Nosler Partition. Any similar caliber such as a 308 would be expected to have the same effect. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Anyone find a round they like from a .338 for sheep/smaller game? I love my model 70, synthetic .338 and use it for everything.

I bought a box of SST Hornady 200 grain in .338 for caribou. The ballistics looked identical to a 30-06 with 180 grain, or similar...not super flat, but really not bad.

It killed the caribou dead, dead, dead... for moose I use the fed premium 250 noslers... again not super flat, but way more than enough for moose.

308 is a good round for sheep I have to imagine, just hit them through both lungs..dead..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    I believe goats are tough animals pound for pound. I also think their body configuration- big shoulders, longer hair, etc- tends to confuse hunters into shooting low and back. A couple of friends swear the high lung/shoulder shot drops them in their tracks.

That said- I'd still pop a goat with a .308... and like Shphtr suggests- a fairly soft, explosive bullet. Their tough, but thin. If I recall correctly, even Elmer Keith thought the .270/130gr Partition made a good goat rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Anyone find a round they like from a .338 for sheep/smaller game? d\..
    My partner has been using the .338/ 180 AccuBond for 3 years.... all one shot kills on 5 caribou, 100 to 400 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    even Elmer Keith thought the .270/130gr Partition made a good goat rifle.
    Well I took mine on the last two goat hunts, but have to admit I was a bit worried after hearing all the horror stories of goats that just kept on going......

Never found out tho as I haven't managed to pull the trigger on one............yet.

(really don't want to have to lug my 8mag up the mountain yet again).........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My partner has been using the .338/ 180 AccuBond for 3 years.... all one shot kills on 5 caribou, 100 to 400 yds.

oh wow.. interesting. I've rarely seen .338 loaded 180 grain.

Not to hijack this thread(tpics seem to co mingle pretty well)... are there issues to driving a smaller slug with similar force? Or do they lower the powder?

Interesting topic... if it's discussed elsewhere, I'd be interested.

thanks...

AccuBond
    Not to high-jack buttt since we're on the subject...

If pressed to choose one bullet for all applications, do you think this would be it? I used to think Partition, but now believe an Accubond to be just that, but with the increased BC (not to mention the cost savings of around $10 a box). From Noslers site-

"Both bullets are designed to expand into consistent mushrooms while retaining 65-70% of their original weight with proven performance over a wide range of velocities and game. PartitionŽ users will not see a gain by switching to AccuBondŽ unless their particular firearm shoots them more accurately."

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Anyone find a round they like from a .338 for sheep/smaller game? I love my model 70, synthetic .338 and use it for everything.
    I use my .338 for everything as well, and it thrives on the federal premium 210gr noslers. Sheep, goats, deer, bou, moose, blackies... Everything has dropped in its tracks.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast