Thread: DB246 Kodiak Brown Bear

Default DB246 Kodiak Brown Bear

I drew DB246 for spring 2016. When I put in I had heard some decent things and figured either to stake out a stretch of Sevenmile Beach or work some high land off of one of the two lakes north of Larsen's Bay. However, I keep going back to the idea of floating the 22 odd miles of the Karluk River from the Larsen's Bay portage to the Karluk Lagoon. Honestly I think a float trip would be a lot of fun, with the idea of floating to the start of the mountains and then setting up camp on the banks somewhere near an ideal looking spot and hunting it out for a couple days and move on as appropriate. I guess my question is my odds of taking a bear hunting that river valley and adjacent uplands. Everything I have seen suggests that the bears will be mostly up high in the spring, with some others foraging the beaches, and they won't really start staking out the river until the salmon show up. I plan to hunt late - right up to May 15, so not sure my timing would make any difference, but thought I'd throw that out there. Anyone out there hunted DB246? Successful? Thoughts on strategy? Thought on success odds doing float hunt down the Karluk? (FYI - I know about the fees to hunt the native lands portion of the unit - once in a lifetime hunt, so I just want to do what gives me the best odds.). Thanks very much for any thoughts or info you can provide.

I took a nice Bear from the Portage area cabin. Friends took exceptional Bears from saltwater at the head of Larson bay. I guided to a smaller Bear last day at seven mile beach. Heard of a huge Bear by the lagoon.
    What does this all tell you ?
    Bears can be anywhere. You can rent a skiff at the lagoon and hunt west and do good. I would hunt earlier if possible, your less likely to harvest a rubbed Bear

Thanks for the comments Roland. Your comment re the rubbed bear is well taken, but I've had others tell me a lot of bears won't be moving around until about the first of May. I guess it depends on the year. My brother is coming from Germany to be my backup shooter and the direct flights from Germany to Anchorage don't start until May, so I am pretty tied to late season. I guess a chance at a rubbed bear is the risk I'll run. All else being equal, I think I'd like to float it because I think it would be most fun. But, like I said, I ultimately just want to do what gives me as good a chance at success as possible. Let me ask you this: have you ever heard of anyone who has hunted the unit in spring as a float hunt?

Alaskan living in KY waiting to retire and get back home

Quote Originally Posted by Lelantus View Post
    Thanks for the comments Roland. Your comment re the rubbed bear is well taken, but I've had others tell me a lot of bears won't be moving around until about the first of May. I guess it depends on the year. My brother is coming from Germany to be my backup shooter and the direct flights from Germany to Anchorage don't start until May, so I am pretty tied to late season. I guess a chance at a rubbed bear is the risk I'll run. All else being equal, I think I'd like to float it because I think it would be most fun. But, like I said, I ultimately just want to do what gives me as good a chance at success as possible. Let me ask you this: have you ever heard of anyone who has hunted the unit in spring as a float hunt?
    Lelantus,

I hunted the area several years ago and it's a great area for bear but the winter and spring season will play so much into the equation. I have had much more success in the past 10 years with a late spring hunt trying to be there around the end of April beginning of May and will be in the field on April 29th this year trying my luck, however, I will I would have been there 4 days ago because it is warming up fast this year and had such a mild winter. The dens will be filling with water and melting now forcing everything out.
    I can't say I have heard of a lot of success floating the river during the spring but if you do as you say and stop along the way and trek off for a spike camp with some nice vantage points you could have a successful hunt. Then again, you never know, may see nothing but small bears looking for an early meal along the river. There are some great spots along the bottom half of that float that I think could produce something worth taking.
    Regarding 7mile beach, I can assure you that has been a productive location for sure but does get hunted pretty heavily. Timing is everything!

Default DB246 Kodiak Brown Bear

Wife has same tag for spring 2016, nice to see someone on here has the same tag. We will have to keep in touch to make sure we don't overlap areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get a few more posts we can private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan Quest.

guys please post your results of your hunts this year as I have drawn the db246 tag for the spring of 2017 and this will be my first kodiak hunt ever. I have been kicking around the idea of being put in at either lake 445 or 440 due to the fact they are right by the hills where bears could be denned up and it is not on the native land. Thanks and good luck!

by may i'd guess almost all bears will be out this year. they travel so much and so fast i'd never assume they would be high or low. assume they'll be anywhere and everywhere. Boars will go anywhere they think a sow will be or has been, cutting tracks of a sow and walking her down. i've seen the same boar in the same place a week later before, doing a big loop or circut. he died almost in his week old tracks. ten foot and change.
    glassing is everythere and patience. no matter where you chooose to hunt, never second guess it and log in the hours behind the glass, bears move so much faster than we do, just sit tight, let your scent trail be as small as possible and be low profile. let the bears do the moving.
    learn what a big bear is, alot of residents hammer smaller bears because its a "once in a lifetime hunt" so they just kill something to say they killed something. thats why resident average size bear is so much smaller than a non resident. can't kill big bears by shooting smaller ones.
    rubbed hides...? well they can be rubbed in the den. late season don't mean they'll be rubbed, but more of them probably will be. still some fantastic hides out there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Lelantus, any update on the success of your hunt?