Thread: gulkana

Default gulkana

anyone been on the gulkana thought bout doin a float startin at paxson lake down to sourdough anyone heard what the water levels are like dont want nothing to fast just a nice trip for me and the wife

Default Sourdough on down

Floated from Sourdough to MP141 last Sat, then Poplar Grove down on Sun. I thought the water was pretty low, but I don't have a ton of experience on the river. I was with two friends, we were all on 1-man catarafts. No problems on any of those stretches with the small boats (one lady was a total rookie).

Fishing was slow, got 1 small king each day, didn't really try to target reds. But a beautiful float on two gorgeous days. The fish were a bonus. I wouldn't hesitate to float that section - don't know a thing about Paxson to Sourdough.

Mort

Thumbs up Paxon to Sourdough

I did this float last year with the wife, had a good time but the bugs were almost unbearable. The fastest water you will enounter will be at the falls, which might be a little less than half way. You can portage your gear through there if you don't feel comfortable trying to float through it. The grayling fishing was probably the best I have ever encountered in my 13 years living in Alaska. Literally almost 1 fish for every 3 casts!! Take your time when you float, we were on a guided trip and made it to the falls on the first day but it was a very long day at that, by the time we got camp up I was totally exhausted and all I did was fish!! It's an awesome float that I will do again, maybe next year. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Default Water Levels

Very Managable for the most part. Rain early in the week pushed the river up but it is now back to normal levels. If the lack of rain continues plan on dragging your boat for a while from Paxon to the Middle Fork then again below the class II / III rapids always fun and and always work. Pushing towards the 4th weekend there is always extra traffic on the lower river plan on camping early.

Tight Lines

Moose-O

Default float

thanks for all the info should be a good trip