Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight adventure recommendations

Default Overnight adventure recommendations

Longer warmer days gets juices flowing... any recommendations for good places to fly and camp you are willing to share? I'm a Cessna 170 on wheels and am not ready for anything too tight/hairy, but I've got 400+ hours and a bit of off-airport. Based out of Anchorage. I'm just looking to plan a couple adventures away from folks, do some hiking, etc.

For those willing to share, thanks in advance!

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure of the status these days, but you might try Nugget Bench, about 40-miles west of Talkeetna, or Chitina Bay, either north or south side. North side is smoother, while the south side is a bit rocky, though usable.

I flew over nugget bench last year and it indicated it was closed. With all the mining operations around there, I assumed it was now private.

Quote Originally Posted by brianwalch View Post
    I flew over nugget bench last year and it indicated it was closed. With all the mining operations around there, I assumed it was now private.

It's always been "private", but if there is no activity there I reckon its use wouldn't be a problem. I used to fly a bit for the Nugget Bench Placer Mining Corporation and know a little about its history. That's the reason I recommended it . . .

2nd on Chinitna, but prolly should stay on the north side which is NPS land and a very easy beach, lots of brown bears. Down the coast a bit is Amecktadori(sp) the beach can be trickier but usually doable, or there is a little airstrip just up from the river mouth. Good beach combing and not as many bears (but the ones there are not used to seeing people so they are a little skittish).
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Bold strip at Eklutna lake - close by and good hiking/camping.
    McCarthy - a little further away but should be doable with the 170. You can refuel in Gulkana if need to.

Yes, Chinitna has a good beach and it is some beautiful country. As mentioned watch out for bears.

Same boat here. Once I get some experience in my new to me 170B, hoping to get out as well. Split my time between Birchwood and Fairbanks. Bold, Quartz Creek are a few on my list. May try and make a run to Galbraith Lake or Happy Valley when I'm flying out of Fairbanks.

There are lots of different airstrips in the Wrangell-St Elias area and I believe the Park Service has back country airstrip information on them;
    http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...ps-Booklet.pdf

Hope to meet up with other 170 pilots and learn.

Jason

Jason-I'll be up in fbks a couple times this summer with my 170b if all goes according to plan. I'll try and DM you when I'm not on this iPad with my contact info.
    Thanks for the replies, folks... got some plans to make now.

Landed at Bold for the first time today. There sure is some cool exploring to do back there. You might not be alone, as folks can bike and/or ATV into there (depending on the day of the week), but it sure is beautiful country.

Look at Iditarod checkpoint Rohn, Tatitna airstrip (8KA). I just learned about the Rohn last week. Lori and I packed up and flew there Saturday (Apr 25) and stayed at the public use cabin which is first come first serve. The area is green and around 55 during the day already. The cabin is cozy with plenty of firewood. No worries if it has occupants when you arrive as there is plenty of space for tents all around. Be prepared for crosswind landing and takeoff and have a backup plan if the winds are to squirrelly when you get there. I have a 150 with just over 250 hours.

The next morning we flew to McGrath (also a first) to refuel. From there back Skwenta for a burger with Mark and Cindy at he Roadhouse.

I appreciate the inquiry and responses as I am looking for new destinations and adventures.

Scott

You might consider flying down to Seldovia and camping on the outside beach. You could walk there or hitch a ride pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you get your 150 into and out of the Chelatna Lake airdstrip. Is that still state owned and is there any public land there to camp on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talkeetna memorial fly in May 15-17. Camp under your wing. Maybe Polly Creek for razors. If you don't care if your bird gets muddy there are a bunch more spots some with cabins.

Any thoughts or comments about landing at the Million Dollar Bridge, NE of Cordova? Had plans of sleeping under the wing last week. Unfortunately, it did not appear to be friendly for the 150. The vegetation next to the road south of the bridge appeared prohibitive. Any feedback would be appreciated as I am planning on returning to the area this summer and camping.

On the next trip, my backup will be landing and camping on the road system between the Mil $ Bridge and Cordova (CKU) with Mudhole (PACV) along the way. Any thoughts, feedback, and experiences would be awesome.

Fuel and weather should be considered for the trip. Call Cordova Air Service 907-424-3289 ahead of time to ask about 100LL, or there is auto fuel in town.

Marrs

Quote Originally Posted by WildRingo View Post
    Look at Iditarod checkpoint Rohn, Tatitna airstrip (8KA). I just learned about the Rohn last week. Lori and I packed up and flew there Saturday (Apr 25) and stayed at the public use cabin which is first come first serve. The area is green and around 55 during the day already. The cabin is cozy with plenty of firewood. No worries if it has occupants when you arrive as there is plenty of space for tents all around. Be prepared for crosswind landing and takeoff and have a backup plan if the winds are to squirrelly when you get there. I have a 150 with just over 250 hours.

The next morning we flew to McGrath (also a first) to refuel. From there back Skwenta for a burger with Mark and Cindy at he Roadhouse.

I appreciate the inquiry and responses as I am looking for new destinations and adventures.

Scott
    Is there any issue landing there with it listed as emergency only?

Quote Originally Posted by Wldlndfirefghtr View Post
    There are lots of different airstrips in the Wrangell-St Elias area and I believe the Park Service has back country airstrip information on them;
    www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/upload/Airstrips-Booklet.pdf

Hope to meet up with other 170 pilots and learn.

Jason
    Your post with weblink is a great resource. Thanks for the post.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Could you get your 150 into and out of the Chelatna Lake airdstrip. Is that still state owned and is there any public land there to camp on?
    I don't anything about Chelatna Lake Airstrip. Nugget Bench 14 miles east seems doable but would need to check it first.

Scott

I've often flown into Chelatna Lake with both C-150s and C-170s. The former lodge owner, Graham Mower, who had been a pilot with Cordova Airlines, had a stock C-170 that he used there - - - OFTEN. Still, it required a careful approach because of the surrounding terrain and a dogleg turn in the strip itself.

So . . . be careful, but don't be afraid of it.

Has anyone landed at Jonstone Pt on Hitchenbrook Is. info says it is 60 by 1700 ft and the weather cam puts you right on the ocean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast