Thread: Chitina Work Party

Smile Chitina Work Party

After reading all the post about people looking for access on ATVís past OíBrian creek maybe we can organize some sort of work party to get it done. Of most importance though is input from folks who have seen the slides and letting us know if itís even possible. I personally have not seen the slides so have know real idea of the work that would be involved.

I would think that a group of 20 to 40 people could get a lot of trail cut for ATV use in a weekend. I know, thatís a lot of people to count on but anything is better than what the road commission plans to supply. Without this kind of work I think access isnít going to good at all for anyone without a boat.

Hopefully we get some good response and we can show the state what can be done. Iím sure we can get it done for a lot less than the millions of dollars that they are saying it will cost.

This would also give all of use a chance to put some faces to names and have some fun at night, hard work + little food + little drink= good times.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by FB Don View Post
    After reading all the post about people looking for access on ATVís past OíBrian creek maybe we can organize some sort of work party to get it done. Of most importance though is input from folks who have seen the slides and letting us know if itís even possible. I personally have not seen the slides so have know real idea of the work that would be involved.

I would think that a group of 20 to 40 people could get a lot of trail cut for ATV use in a weekend. I know, thatís a lot of people to count on but anything is better than what the road commission plans to supply. Without this kind of work I think access isnít going to good at all for anyone without a boat.

Hopefully we get some good response and we can show the state what can be done. Iím sure we can get it done for a lot less than the millions of dollars that they are saying it will cost.

This would also give all of use a chance to put some faces to names and have some fun at night, hard work + little food + little drink= good times.

Don
    What you need is a D-3 cat (or bigger) or a back hoe (larger) for a weekend. Why can't people get some money together, rent one, and move some rocks?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    What you need is a D-3 cat (or bigger) or a back hoe (larger) for a weekend. Why can't people get some money together, rent one, and move some rocks?
    I'd bet that if that was attempted, DOT, Chitina village, Ahtna, or an environmental group would shut it down pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'd bet that if that was attempted, DOT, Chitina village, Ahtna, or an environmental group would shut it down pronto.
    Yeah, probably so. It would be typical of an environmental group, no common sense. Wouldn't want to move any rocks around, that would be terrible! (We have got to put a stop to those earthquakes and mudslides!!!)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default lets party!

Hmm? Seems like the Egyptians managed to build some really cool pyramids with slave labor.. Hey, I'm not suggesting we bring back slavery but this work party thing might have some merit. I wonder if OSHA might show up and raise a stink about the safety issue?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    ....It would be typical of an environmental group, no common sense. Wouldn't want to move any rocks around, that would be terrible!....
    They just don't want us back there in "their" wilderness, and they'll gladly take advantage of landslides that assist them.

Thumbs up Brake Out The Shovels

And put some back into it. As I have read though some of the other post it seems some guys have already started the work. They have stated that there is only one spot where they had to unload the wheeler to make it as far as the tunnel. It was a stretch of no more than a hundred feet.

It would be nice to have some sort of power equipment but I am sure it get unwanted attention. I say we get as many people as we can, bring shovels, mattocks, chainsaws and get it done.

Now who's up for it and when do you want to meet?

Default Hi

I am not fully convinced that the Gov's office knows fully whats going on, or not beyond O'Brien Creek. We at CDA did send a good 'guest editorial' off to newpapers but not sure where that stands. I'm up for work done for access, even if that's me and my #2 shovel. But...I'll see if Chitina Dipnetters Association can get through to the Govenor and have her tell us point blank, "sorry, I'll get DOT right on that" or "Screw you guys". We had told and got a lot of people, to call the Govenor office back in April but since had heard that all those calls and letters were forwarded to DOT. She can make it happen and I will call our President to see what we can do to get through to our Chief Executive aka Madam Govenor.
    But I'm aiming for early August to head down for Dipnetting and would be open to doing a days worth or so of work between now and then. Some weekends and so forth are already spoken for.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

I sent a letter a few weeks ago and never got a response

Default road

Just returned and the road is not all that bad, only one spot which is about 200 ft long, just go slow and no big deal,

I dont see much being done with that road, too many slides, to costly to maintain sense there are and will always be rock and mud slides

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    .....I dont see much being done with that road, too many slides, to costly to maintain sense there are and will always be rock and mud slides
    I agree that there will always be slides on that trail, but maintaining it (or even expanding it) as a trail (as opposed to an interstate highway) isn't much of an engineering feat. In the case of the slides caused by that major storm last fall, it sounds to me like a one or two day job for a man in a rather small dozer to clear it back to good trail status for atvs.

I think the state's problem is the legal and regulatory aspects with respect to "road standards" or the expenditure on a trail that is actually designated as a state highway.

Not to mention the flak and always-present threat of lawsuits from Natives and environmentalists whenever a dozer is started up there...........

Default Not that simple

Your right about all the slides but one, they could be cleared by one machine and one man. The really bad one is not that simple. 6 of them just need the road cleared of rock. The one that is 200 feet long is a different story, the hill side is gone, no road at all, ATV'ers made it semi flat to drive over, I dont think you can just plow away the rock and trees because the road is gone, its the rock and trees that we are driving on

Default Govenors office contacted...

Hi. I contacted the Governors officer on Friday and got a response of sorts there. More or less wanted to make sure there were aware of problem, no access, and our dissatisfaction with the State's response to it. Also mentioned how there was talk of a work party and how if it came to that we would make sure the press would be covering it.
    The Chitiina Dipnetters Association is in the process of writing a letter to the Governor and the guy I talked to in the Gov's office, Russ Kelly(deals with Transportation issues) wanted to see that as soon as possible. From our perspective it's purely a political decision and one our Madam Chief Executive has to make.
    That road was a working railroad for 27 years hauling copper all the way to Cordova so while it may take some upkeep it is very doable to open and keep open. How many times has both the Parks and Richardson highways been shut down by slides, floods ect in the last few years? The same rains which caused the new problems on the road past O'Brien Creek closed the Richardson for two weeks. DOT can handle it. Can the Politicans? That maybe up to us and our voices/votes ect.
    Paul Holland

Default newest effort w/Governor's office

Hi...Just sent an e-mail to Gov's office. Does the Gov. support "Access for Alaskans and their Families to their Resources" or not? If not, fine, its time to get out the old #2 shovel.
    Will try to get a very solid thumbs up or down from the Gov(or office) as to either her overlooking the problem at Chitina and the road beyond O'Brien Creek(and NOW doing something) or her backing the existing policy of 'do nothing' at Chitina.
    Soooo...Work Party? I am looking at this weekend for a trip to Chitina, still up in the air at this point, but anyone else heading down or could to do some work? or at least get a good surveying of the 'bad slide' and some photos.
    And it seems heavy equipment would be best. Rent? Out of Glenallen?
    Paul Holland

Thumbs up Going Fishing

Tues. morning and plan on taking some tools. I will take photos and post on Thurs. night.

Default Right on...

I'm heading down this weekendish. At a bit of a loss as to where I'll dip as our lovely, capable of tough decision, and all for 'Access for Alaskans and their Families to their Resources' Madam Chief Executive has yet to call for opening the road.
    I'd much rather not do the Hem thing.(He's great for many but I like to be able to walk out, if necessary(thus don't like the 'Other side of the River') and the whole, hurry up and leave I got another paying customer... thing don't rub me right,(Granted, NO one knows the river, and the dipping half as much as Mark or the other charter guy)) and yes, I'm a cheap *******, so the $90 is kinda hard to let go.(plus I proxy for my gal's Dad, and I've heard Charter's are either charging double for proxies or not allowing at all for that extra harvest)
    At the least I'll see first hand the road situation(heard just today the "Bridge" is not only not wide enough for anything wider than a 4-wheeler but their is some sort of "Block"! in place to prevent anything wider!) and hopefully come home with some reds and a king or two. Can always head back down in early August.
    Wishing you luck(and yes, wish me luck) in Chitina.
    Paul Holland

In answer to how wide the bridge is I have a 450 Polaris and it was not much wider than it. There is a low wood beam on each side of the bridge which I'm suprised folks with argos have not been riding on top of the rail to get across as I'm not sure an argo would make it across the bridge between the rails but I do not know how wide they are. It is a nice bridge for 4 wheelers. Trail conditions have kept a lot of people away as we only saw 3 groups on our way in a 4 on the way out which is much less than usual.