Thread: Merc 150 internal lube oil pump issues

Default Merc 150 internal lube oil pump issues

Just wanted to check and see if there were any others out there that have had the same issue I have with my 2015 150hp merc.

I purchased a new boat with twin 150 mercs. In the process of breaking them in I had the starboard engine blow up due to internal oil pump failure. The motor had 4 hours on it. Marine services of Alaska (homer merc dealer) serviced the motor and got me a new engine. I work with someone who just bought a brand new 150 merc for his boat and had the exact same issue with only 42 minutes on the motor.

Just wanted to see if this is something others have experienced or is this just coincidence???

I have five new 2014 and 2015 boats running 150 4 stroke motors without any such problem. And first I have heard of this issue, but I have not researched it either.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post
    Just wanted to check and see if there were any others out there that have had the same issue I have with my 2015 150hp merc.

I purchased a new boat with twin 150 mercs. In the process of breaking them in I had the starboard engine blow up due to internal oil pump failure. The motor had 4 hours on it. Marine services of Alaska (homer merc dealer) serviced the motor and got me a new engine. I work with someone who just bought a brand new 150 merc for his boat and had the exact same issue with only 42 minutes on the motor.

Just wanted to see if this is something others have experienced or is this just coincidence???

Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post

We've installed half a dozen or more 150s and haven't had or heard of this issue. Mercury will definitely stand behind the product if there is one.

Mykle,

Sorry to hear about your motor troubles but glad to hear it got fixed in swift order. You have a beautiful boat. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on this thread. Thanks for posting your experiences so that we all may learn from them. Good luck and let us know what the future brings.