Thread: Steese Highway Trails?

Default Steese Highway Trails?

What options lie up the Steese Highway for atv riding? Id like to go to Circle and pee in the Yukon river , but have no clue what kind of riding there is to do up that way. Gf rides a polaris 500 4x4 and I have a 500 6x6.

Also, for a 10 day trip (Anchorage-Fairbanks-Circle-back to Anchortown) would it be best to take the comfy 26 Class C RV or the truck and not-so-comfy camper? Just wondering about maneuverability of a Class C pulling a trailer hauling wheelers. Are there any good places to park and ride or camp and ride?

My trip would likely take place between June 22-July 17 or July 25-August 7. Will one date work better than another regarding trail conditions and skeeters?

Thanks,

Tim

Default Steese Highway Trails?

The white mountains and steese national recreation areas have a few good atv trails. BLM land. The Quartz Creek trail in the WM NRA in particular is very scenic. You can very often see dall sheep on Mt Prindle just across the valley or closer. There are two nice campsites in the area but I don't think I'd bring the big motor home. The BLM website has more info.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Good to know. I'll check the BLM site about the area. Great tip.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Good to know. I'll check the BLM site about the area. Great tip.
    I would definitely call for an update. We're pretty much at peak breakup in the interior and there's an awful lot of mud. The borough just closed the trails to wheelers in the Chena rec area; there's a good chance that the BLM trails have been closed as well.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Mishore, I was talking about coming up late June or July. Don't figure I'd be doing much riding anytime soon in most places due to the conditions of the trail. Too mushy and not good for the trails to ride this early in some areas, imo.

Do you guys have any advice about whether to come up in late June or July.