Thread: Yippie! Double in 12 ga.

Default Yippie! Double in 12 ga.

I finally picked up a double barreled 12 gauge, my first one! It is called the Stoger Uplander. It has 3" chambers and 24" barrels with a single gold colored trigger, tang safety and the stock appears to be stained walnut or hard wood with varnish finish. It came with interchangeable IMP./Mod. choke tubes and I replaced both with Briley IMP cylinder choke tubes for consistency. There are 2 gold beads on top of the rib. I plan on running No. 7 1/2 shot, 3" Brenneke Black Magic Slugs and low recoil tactical buck through it. I would like to get another set of barrels to "customize" and I will contact Stoger to see if their 20" Coach gun barrels will interchange, if not I will talk to the gun smith about whether or not the Uplander barrels can be cut back to 19 or 20 inches and re-install the choke tubes.

I have an idea about a big white tritium dot and an express sight that I am looking into and eventually sling swivels. I have a guy giving the checkering and finish on my old Mod. 70 Featherweight stock face lift. He uses teak and tongue oil and rubs out a darn good looking stock, but that will wait till this winter. It has a decent fitting rubber recoil pad, but I will probably opt for the black Pachmayr Sporting Clay's recoil pad when I have the stock finish and checkering redone.

Years ago I had a Savage 20 gauge, but never warmed up to it and sold it. This 12 gauge is nothing fancy, but will serve for my intended purposes. This will be my designated toy hauler gun that we take with us through Canada, they don't want shot gun barrels under 18.5 inches.I think Stoger doubles are made in Brazil and the barrels might be made in Italy. The reviews are mixed on this gun so I hope I get lucky.

Sounds like a great gun. I'm a lifelong fan of SxS doubles for hunting, but I see the appeal and utility of your setup. Quick and compact, no frills, but lots of service features.

If you decide you're hooked, keep in mind the fun you can have with a SxS 12 gauge muzzleloader. I do about 95% of my hunting with one now, and couldn't be happier. Usually there's plenty of time between shooting ops to reload a ML, and there's just something about that big old cloud of white smoke when you drop a hammer.

I would shoot some slugs through it first and see how close they hit.The little alignment done on these guns is at the muzzle At some point the slugs will cross or get farther apart. A good barrel man can cut back barrels and re regulate some but the regulation of SxS barrels on double rifles is a big part of high cost. Consider that without the six inch reciver you lenght at 24" is at same or less than the 18" pump gun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hey Will,

Your comment about regulating barrels started an interesting train of thought, a crossover from muzzleloading smoothbores to modern. It's enough to suggest to 338 that he wait a bit before installing screw-in chokes. This is speculation about his gun, but good speculation I think.

With round balls in muzzleloading smoothbores, it's not uncommon for them to shoot somewhere other than the sights. The solution is to "stone" the muzzles lightly on the side in the direction you want the ball to move. Through trial and error, guys can move their POI's quite a bit. Would it be possible with a modern gun and slugs from a CYL bore? Dunno. But an interesting experiment before deciding to install the chokes.

And as for chokes, in muzzleloaders "jug choking" is quite effective while not resulting in a muzzle constriction that results in difficulties seating wads for shot loads. Basically hones are used to open the barrels slightly a little ways back from the muzzle with no change in the muzzle. Several companies do it for muzzleloaders, though I don't know if they do it for modern guns.

What comes to mind is jug choking the barrels for some choke effect with shot while stoning the muzzles to regulate for slugs. Idle speculation, but interesting to contemplate.

Places like Briley will do the same for you with fixed choke doubles when installing tubes and get very close. It does cost extra
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I spoke with the folks at Stoger and was told they fit the double barrels to the receiver of each individual gun and do not make extra barrels, so I won't be able to use their 20" Coach Gun barrels on this gun or send the receiver in to have extra shorter barrels made up. So I either leave it as is or talk to local gun smith about shortening barrels. It came with interchangeable modified and improved cylinder chokes and I bought 2 Briley improved cylinder chokes as it seemed the best fit for this gun and my intended use. As I said, Canada prohibits shot gun barrels under 18.5 inches and I want improved cylinder chokes for it. This will be a good weapon for keeping in the toy hauler and taking on hikes. I can't think of any North American critters that won't be done in if they digest a pair of those 600 grain Brenneke slugs. I will leave the tactical 00 buck in it when out of brown bear country or it's in the trailer. I should get some trigger time in with it on Saturday.

So how does it shoot with slugs?

I am embarrassed to admit I have yet to make it to the range. Hope to in a few days and will report back then. If it will do 3 inches at 50 yards with both barrels I will be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    If it will do 3 inches at 50 yards with both barrels I will be pleased.
    I'd be downright flabbergasted. Lots of double rifles won't do so well with both barrels, maybe firing only one barrel. And that's with rifle sights. Anything under 6" with both smoothbore barrels and shotgun sights is going to be headline news.

I grew up shooting a Stevens 5100 double. I don't recall missing with it much.

I have an O/U now, but I'd like to get a nice double in 20ga.

Thinkin' about the CZs. They look to be pretty nice.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-sharp-t...ge-28-barrels/

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd be downright flabbergasted. Lots of double rifles won't do so well with both barrels, maybe firing only one barrel. And that's with rifle sights. Anything under 6" with both smoothbore barrels and shotgun sights is going to be headline news.
    A friend of mine has a James Lang double rifle in .500 NE 3.25".

It took a lot of experimentation and research to get POA and POI to converge at the same point in the space/time continuum downrage. At 100yrds the the groups are about 2".
    Now what ?

Well horse feathers. I will revise my accuracy hopes. How about the side of a barn at 25 yards! LOL I will try to get to the range and come back with a report to include the good, bad and ugly.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Well horse feathers. I will revise my accuracy hopes. How about the side of a barn at 25 yards! LOL I will try to get to the range and come back with a report to include the good, bad and ugly.
    Well, Shucky Gee, I cawn't find the thread, but some guy posted here on the Forum a while back, bout putting Iron Sights on his DB Shootgun. I remember questioning him about it.

It seems, he adjusted the sights for ONE of the barrels using slugs, and left the other for Shot. That way, he could go either way. He claimed it was a real meat getter, that he had used successfully.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thats how cape guns were built one barrel for shot and one for a rifle cartridge and a slug serves the same purpose. With luck he will get about a two or three inch group at 25 yards and almost touching at fourty where shotgun barrels in most cases are set to converge. After fourty the slugs would cross and spred again. Worse case is three inches at twenty and six at fourty each barrel shooting outward and we have not looked at up and down yet.