Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpacking Stoves

Coffee???....did someone say coffee???...

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Kovea spider 1109
    Much more versatile than a canister mount stove.

Pocket rocket. 30$. works great and very small/lightweight.

What ever happened to burning dried moose poop, lichen and a few sticks between two rocks? Sticks are hard to find up high and it's wet but I think I've made more coffee and meals on a fire than over a stove. Yeah...stoves are easier.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

The MSR Expedition....best cold wx stove out there.

Supporting Member

Old post, but I have a related question.....
    What are you using for very cold temps? I am talking -20 and below.

I have an Msr pocket rocket stove that works great for three seasons. However below zero the flame works but the heat loss out the top of the pot is as great as the heat put in the bottom by the stove. Therefore it is useless at low temps.

Anyone that relies on an MSR stove with a plastic pump, in the bush is in for a rude awakening. Dropped mine during setup from waist high and the pump plunger snapped off to render the stove useless. Others I have are a peak 1, pocket rocket and the old reliable SVEA 123. Probably burned 3-5 gallons thru the Svea over the years and has always worked. Sounds a little like a jet engine but other than that it’s probably one of the better investments i’ve Made in gear. 2nd choice would be pocket rocket or jet boil but I just don’t care for the canister stoves as I always think I’ll run out of fuel in the toolies even though I never have yet. Burned a lot of car gas and even avgas thru the Svea with no major issues. My whisper light international seems to be a decent stove but someone needs to come up with a more bulletproof handle for its pump before I’ll ever commit to it again as my sole stove.

Ray

I'll add my vote for the Whisperlite International. It burns any liquid fuel, it weighs almost nothing and, based upon the age of mine (30 years or so), it lasts forever. About the only thing I've done to it was replace the o-rings on the pump about 10 years ago. The MSR fuel cans are also nice as I've never seen one leak and they're easy to pack. As far as the pump breaking as wefly4u mentioned above, I've dropped mine more times that I want to remember and I've never had any part break. Perhaps the newer models use a different type of plastic.

Jet boils are wonderful, until you get somewhere in the bush and no cartridges are available, can't fly commercially with them either. I have several Coleman stoves but have gone to the Whisper lite. I carry an extra pump just in case but it is nice to have in the bush when no white gas is available. Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12