Thread: Problem importing firearms from Russia for a hunt

Default Problem importing firearms from Russia for a hunt

A sheep hunter from Russia wants to bring his US made H-S precision rifle with him on the hunt. He got the hunting license, and applied for the permit with the ATF, according to instructions on their website. His application was denied, because apparently ATF has a DOS approved list of firearms, and only allows those to be imported. That list only has firearms made in Russia on it, and his US made rifle is not on the list.

Did anyone encounter similar problems with the ATF?

The guide/hunt planner should have someone set up to do that. Then you just present the rifle at customs and have paper work checked and go hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amigo,
    l it is not working like that for foreigners when they are bringing a firearms into the states.

you need an approval from BATF,

to the op i got approval for Russian or American rifles so cant explain the reason. but im coming from Canada maybe not the same back ground check.

I would contact SCI national office for help.

Brett

I know hunters come here from Russia every year now from early 90's and Americans go to Russia to hunt. Canada and U.S. have changed much sense the eighties but mostly because of Americans not doing a simple task when returning to the U.S.,not turning in their handgun paper. Someone is just dropping the ball for this hunter in question.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by 375ruger View Post
    Amigo, l it is not working like that for foreigners when they are bringing a firearms into the states. you need an approval from BATF, to the op i got approval for Russian or American rifles so cant explain the reason. but im coming from Canada maybe not the same back ground check.

He did go through the proper channels to get approval. This problem is specific for someone trying to bring a firearm from a former soviet union country. When ATF denied his application they gave him this link: https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2...lassified.html and also a link to a pdf listing all the allowed firearms: https://www.atf.gov/files/press/rele...attachment.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I know hunters come here from Russia every year now from early 90's and Americans go to Russia to hunt. Canada and U.S. have changed much sense the eighties but mostly because of Americans not doing a simple task when returning to the U.S.,not turning in their handgun paper. Someone is just dropping the ball for this hunter in question.

They can probably borrow their guide's gun to make the shot. Do you know that any were successful in bringing their own firearm into US for the hunt?

Somebody at the ATF has their finger up their you know what; this administration, and the ATF in particular, is not in the mode of helping sportsmen. His outfitter/guide is not doing their job either.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Somebody at the ATF has their finger up their you know what; this administration, and the ATF in particular, is not in the mode of helping sportsmen. His outfitter/guide is not doing their job either.
    Policy according to the links were from 1996 and 2004, which according to my calculations were well before the current administration.

This has nothing to do with our current farce in office. This has to do with regulations in place. It isn't that people aren't doing their jobs, it is that rules aren't meant to be broken.

I think, from the OP's statements, that the concern here is that the weapon isn't on the import list b/c it is American made? Is that correct?
    The Russian hunter may have to explore other options it seems. Sucks, but that is what happens when you have to follow the law.

The hunter is not exporting or importing a firearm to the U.S.. The hunter needs a permit to bring his own rifle to hunt for say 21days and the rifle need only go through airport customs. Customs holding warehouses are for buyers in this country reciving firearms from other countries where ownership has changed.Yes I know for sure some folks from Russia have brought firearms here as I have shot with them and shot their guns in shotgun sports many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The hunter is not exporting or importing a firearm to the U.S.. The hunter needs a permit to bring his own rifle to hunt for say 21days and the rifle need only go through airport customs. Customs holding warehouses are for buyers in this country reciving firearms from other countries where ownership has changed.Yes I know for sure some folks from Russia have brought firearms here as I have shot with them and shot their guns in shotgun sports many times.
    But I think by definition it is considered importing. If I was to go through Canada and carry firearms with me, it is considered importing, even though I am only traveling through.

The issue here is that the Russian is bringing a gun to America that is not on the approved list. His gun is an American made gun...It is different b/c it isn't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    But I think by definition it is considered importing. If I was to go through Canada and carry firearms with me, it is considered importing, even though I am only traveling through.

The issue here is that the Russian is bringing a gun to America that is not on the approved list. His gun is an American made gun...It is different b/c it isn't on the list.

Both statements are correct. It is considered "importing" by them even though it is temporary importing. The application for temporary importation is here: https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5330-3d.pdf

And it is correct that the gun is US made and is not on the list and that's why they are not approving it.

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    Both statements are correct. It is considered "importing" by them even though it is temporary importing. The application for temporary importation is here: https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5330-3d.pdf

And it is correct that the gun is US made and is not on the list and that's why they are not approving it.
    Then my suggestion is to contact the guide/outfitter to see if they have a gun he could use, or for him to buy a gun on the approved list and bring it (if there is enough time).

Well none of the guns I saw are on that list either. Most were British or German made. Got to wonder how the Russia trap and skeet shooters get guns here to compete,for sure they don't use someone else's gun. This ain't passing the sniff test for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    I would contact SCI national office for help.

Brett
    X2...........

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post

It's true! The ATF is not the friend of shooters and hunters

We contacted the SCI and asked the guide to reach out to the congressman and the senator for help dealing with the ATF. We'll see what happens of it. Thank you for your replies.