Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Finally, a new addition to the family.

  1. #61
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Well, being that we had the dog 2 weeks before I wrote this quote, and it's been a week since its posting, our dog is now 6 months old too. So it's quite probable that they are out of the same litter. Is yours from the "J" litter, as Jewel is? Or from the "I" litter?(or did u get it out of state?) Details please, tell us about yours.
    He's from the J litter, Jewel's brother!! We just got home from fishing, but I'll follow up. Too cool!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  2. #62
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    He's from the J litter, Jewel's brother!! We just got home from fishing, but I'll follow up. Too cool!

    Bump.... Still waiting for your follow up, Fishgod.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

  3. #63
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,201

    Default

    Did you see this from another thread?


    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  4. #64
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Did you see this from another thread?



    No I didn't. Link?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

  5. #65
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,201
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #66
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    No I didn't. Link?
    Thanks for the link, 4mer.
    Took the 2 hounds out a couple days ago from the house for just the last couple hours of daylight. Wasn't long b4 Nova gave me the over her shoulder look, 'this way, dad!', that tells me she's got a bird scented off trail. I got off the wheeler and followed the dogs 70-80 yards off the trail and they quickly found me a covey of about 8 sprucies. With my .22 rifle I quickly harvested 4 of these birds and allowed each dog 2 retrieves apiece. Ten minutes later the same scenario of the over shoulder look told me I'm going on a short walk off trail again. This is a relatively new game for the 10 month old Jewel (aka "Juice" or "Juicy") but on this walk Juice announces with a couple sharp 'yips' that she has a bird pegged in a tree she is guarding. Nova, my trusty hunter confirms this find of Jewel in short order but before I can get there the bird flies past me and lands 30 yards from me on another branch. I take careful aim at a seemingly easy shot and somehow cleanly miss! The bird flies off and I decide not to pursue. Later, the dogs signal another bird somewhere in the area and after much searching Jewel convinces herself she has on treed. I circle the tree several times without seeing anything and when I am sure there is no bird in the tree, I put the dogs on the whoa command and start walking around nearby trees. Moments later I hear a bird flush from a tree and catch a very quick glimpse of wings pass through the spruce grove. Too fast for a sprucie and the sound of the wings, coupled with the frantic search in so many places by the 2 dogs tells me this was likely a quail. As we do have a few of these birds in our area and the type of more frantic ground searching by the dogs corresponds with what I've previously witnessed when they come across quail in our area. I spent some time searching the direction it flew thinking it would be nice to come back with a quail in the bag to compliment the grouse, but had no luck so headed home.
    Jewel has recently been introduced to hunting the field and a duck hunt and has exploded her world with enthusiasm. She has really had very little training at all and the only teacher she has had is Nova. I need to do some official 'pointing' training with pigeons and her so she knows exactly what is expected in the field of her. I'm looking forward to more walks with the dogs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

  7. #67
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Thanks for the link, 4mer.
    Took the 2 hounds out a couple days ago from the house for just the last couple hours of daylight. Wasn't long b4 Nova gave me the over her shoulder look, 'this way, dad!', that tells me she's got a bird scented off trail. I got off the wheeler and followed the dogs 70-80 yards off the trail and they quickly found me a covey of about 8 sprucies. With my .22 rifle I quickly harvested 4 of these birds and allowed each dog 2 retrieves apiece. Ten minutes later the same scenario of the over shoulder look told me I'm going on a short walk off trail again. This is a relatively new game for the 10 month old Jewel (aka "Juice" or "Juicy") but on this walk Juice announces with a couple sharp 'yips' that she has a bird pegged in a tree she is guarding. Nova, my trusty hunter confirms this find of Jewel in short order but before I can get there the bird flies past me and lands 30 yards from me on another branch. I take careful aim at a seemingly easy shot and somehow cleanly miss! The bird flies off and I decide not to pursue. Later, the dogs signal another bird somewhere in the area and after much searching Jewel convinces herself she has on treed. I circle the tree several times without seeing anything and when I am sure there is no bird in the tree, I put the dogs on the whoa command and start walking around nearby trees. Moments later I hear a bird flush from a tree and catch a very quick glimpse of wings pass through the spruce grove. Too fast for a sprucie and the sound of the wings, coupled with the frantic search in so many places by the 2 dogs tells me this was likely a quail. As we do have a few of these birds in our area and the type of more frantic ground searching by the dogs corresponds with what I've previously witnessed when they come across quail in our area. I spent some time searching the direction it flew thinking it would be nice to come back with a quail in the bag to compliment the grouse, but had no luck so headed home.
    Jewel has recently been introduced to hunting the field and a duck hunt and has exploded her world with enthusiasm. She has really had very little training at all and the only teacher she has had is Nova. I need to do some official 'pointing' training with pigeons and her so she knows exactly what is expected in the field of her. I'm looking forward to more walks with the dogs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Went for a walk in the neighborhood this aftrnn for an hour or two with the dogs and the 22 rifle. Young Juice showed her stuff again today by showing Nova and I the first of the 2 birds we got. As I left the spruce grove and Nova clear over on the other end of the grove looking, Juice's sharp couple of yips turned me around to see what she had treed. Nova arrived and confirmed the find and shortly after Juice got to bring me the downed bird.
    Spruce hen hunting sure is easy with these dogs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

  8. #68

    Default

    They sure are pretty pooches. They don't have that wild hard to control look in their eyes either. I like them!

  9. #69
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    They sure are pretty pooches. They don't have that wild hard to control look in their eyes either. I like them!
    Nova has always had a quiet, independent demeanor to her which I like. Juice, now 10 months old still has the pup qualities of excitement, energy, and friendliness that most young dogs have. Nova is not a fan of photo shoots and Juice is not a fan of sitting or getting near Nova when Nova's retrieve's are nearby. I believe that stemmed from Juice's early encounter trying to get involved in the excitement of a squirrel retrieve Nova made from a shot off the deck after being in the family a short week or two. Juice went to help Nova up the stairwell with the squirrel on Nova's way to hand it over to me and Nova gave the nearly new to the family, Juice, a very sharp rebuke and reminder that this fetch was HER squirrel. This rebuke kept Juice out of the retrieval/shooting game for probly 2 months after that. Took some real slow reintroduction with some excitement features to get Juice to participate in gun or game activities.
    Nova has always enjoyed swimming and had no fear of water. Juice? Reluctant at best. That is, until I got her out on her first duck hunt w Nova and I. The 3 of us went for a jump shoot walk on the flats of a nearby river mouth. Alaskan hunters understand the kind of hunt this can entail. Sneaking on ducks that are hidden in the guts that are formed by the twice daily rising and falling of the tides and the gullies up to 25-30 ft deep,ranging from anywhere from either full or near empty of water depending on the height of the tide at that time. This kind of hunt at low(er) tides can result in some good jump shooting. So we lucked into a flock of 6 teal almost immediately and I was able to drop one in the gut that was 5 ft full of water and 20 ft across. Nova made the retrieval with little fanfare on the flopping duck in a quick minute while Juicy got into the whole excitement of the event from the nearest solid ground. A few min later I dropped a second beautiful drake greenwing that crashed to the water w a damaged wing. Try as Nova would, she could not catch up with the wounded diving teal. Several frantic attempts and 5 min later the little duck was still coming up and laughing at us. I could have easily ended this affair but wanted to take this learning moment to its full potential. Great experience for Nova to figure this game out and Jewel, going crazy out of her mind that after 5 minutes of giving Nova all the verbal encouragement she could, finally decided to forget her water fears and dived right in to help! For another 5 min I watched the two dogs vainly go in and out of the water after this diving target. Finally I decided to end the affair and unloaded the 3.5 inch shell from the chamber (had hoped to jump those late season big mallards) and chambered a 2 and three quarters shell to finish the diver off. I swear the duck read my mind because as the shell went in the gun I looked up to see him dive about 30 ft from me. Believe it or not, we never saw that duck again even tho we scoured the guts shoreline for the next half hour. Even swinging by 45 min later to give it another look. No dice on the duck but the experience has changed Juicy forever, I think. She got bit by the bug.....errrr, birds! Welcome to hunting, Juicy!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

  10. #70
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Sorry about the delayed response. I forgot about that thread. Two years ago I lost the love of my life after being with her for 14 years. She was an English Pointer and the best dog I’ve ever had. She was a unique dog for Alaska and I was grateful to have had her. After she passed away, I was completely heart broken and I wasn’t sure if I ever wanted a dog again. I grew up with three different GSPs and a Brittany Spaniel, but my last hunting dog was special in my heart. Almost a year and a half after she passed away, I still couldn’t even think about getting another dog.


    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  11. #71
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Out of the blue, I bumped into a friend who had one of the J litter Munsterlander puppies and for the first time in a while, my curiosity was stricken. I could tell this puppy was part pointer and unique. After a million questions and some soul searching, I started entertaining the idea of a new puppy. I wanted a unique hunting dog from a reputable breeder. They mentioned Don was that person. I called Don up and we arranged to meet. He introduced me to the puppy and it was love at first site. It was the first time in a while that I felt truly happy and my mind was made up, I’m ready for a puppy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  12. #72
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    I had planned to get him tested and trained with Don this past spring/summer, but family health issues got in the way. I plan on attending Don’s classes in the near future. I spent the spring and summer getting him used to loud noises and eventually over the course of a couple months, worked him up to live fire. This fall I just focused on making sure he had a good time and that he always had a positive experience in the field while hunting. From the start, it was obvious he was very inquisitive, intelligent and affectionate. During the past few months he’s retrieved 40+ grouse to hand and gets ecstatic when the gun bag comes out. Unlike my last dog, he LOVES to swim, which has complicated my fishing endeavors. We’ll work on that next summer. At this point, I couldn’t be happier with the breed selection and he’s turning out to be a fantastic partner in the field and a loving companion that makes me smile every day. We’ll be out tomorrow morning chasing Ruffed Grouse!


    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  13. #73
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    If anyone is considering an all around Alaskan hunting dog, look no further.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  14. #74
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Beautiful dog, Fishgod. Thx for the update. Curious what u named him.
    We'll probably meet this spring as I will most likely be assisting Don with his puppy clinics.
    Get ready for fun!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •