Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, a new addition to the family.

Default Finally, a new addition to the family.

After a 30 yr absence (can't believe it's been that long) I have a new hunting partner. Meet Nova. She will be my shining star in my future hunting endeavors. She is a Munsterlander and I look forward to not only a waterfowl retriever, but a pointer too.
    Tomorrow will be two weeks with us. She is ten weeks old. She impressed me with multiple retrieves on her second day with us.
    I had hoped to wait one more yr before undertaking this in order to have a few chores out of the way, but the wife said its time. She's never had a pup before but is doing great with Nova.
    I guess I will be browsing a bit more in this gun dog section in the near future and welcome this fraternity to assist and advise us where needed.
    I hope I can be the master my dog wants me to be!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats on a fine looking pup! I would recommend joining a gun dog club if you have any in your area. I got my first bird dog about 1.5 years ago and didn't know squat about certain things like force fetch. I joined our local retriever club and they helped me train him. Had a great dove season last year and he just got his junior hunter title. Those clubs are great resources, but I have no doubt you will find great information and advice on this forum too. Gun Dog and Water Dog by Wolters are classic books that many people still use today (although some would argue his methods are a bit dated). Good luck to you and please post some hunting photos with Nova.

Thanks Lew. I have scheduled 'class' in June and then July. Don't know about a gun dog club, per se in my area but will be learning more with time and am in touch with the breeder and his classes, etc.
    Heard of another springer spaniel pup in my area and hope to meet up with him.
    Water Dog is on my 'to get' list along w a couple other references.

Moderaters .... Feel free to rotate my second pic if possible. Seems my iPhone always has this problem when I submitt photos. Thanks.

Cod - Here are a few links:

http://msgda.org/
    http://alaskaworkingretrieverclub.com/index.asp?ID=3
    http://retrieverclubofalaska.com/

I have been looking into some clubs in AK for my move up there next year, but I have only found clubs in the Anchorage area so far. Maybe others on the forum can chime in. The breeder you have may be able to steer you to a good club too.

Nice looking dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what kind of chores could keep a guy from a 4-legged hunting partner for 30 years. Not sure I want to know. Sounds like you have a smart wife. Besides, I can't think of a chore I could possibly do that would be more fun than puppy rearing. Good luck with her.
    ARR

good looking dog!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I have no idea what kind of chores could keep a guy from a 4-legged hunting partner for 30 years. Not sure I want to know. Sounds like you have a smart wife. Besides, I can't think of a chore I could possibly do that would be more fun than puppy rearing. Good luck with her.
    ARR
    Well, chores for the yr were get some things in order around the home for the dog, build a work shop for the wife, and generally get my life ready for possible retirement. Can't say I'm disappointed with the change of MY plans.
    Had the daughters 3-4 yr old golden retriever for 3 Wks just before picking up this pup. Even tho this golden was not trained for hunting, when I took it out scouting w me the natural instincts took over. It was pure pleasure to be in the woods with a four legged canine again! Brought back strong feeling from my early 25 yrs w two goldens I grew up with.
    What kept me from getting a dog all these yrs was I had/have a profession that kept me away from home a lot and really crazy schedules. The wife often was with me. There just was no real way to have a dog. Hard to convey, but it really was not possible and be even semi reasonable for any party.
    Looks like it's now time and I'm really really really looking forward to having a duck retriever (instead of using a fish pole w treble hooks), a companion for my scouting forays, and another set of eyes and ears in the woods that are better than mine. (I was amazed at the info I was getting from the golden we just took care of when we were in the woods together. It was wonderful.)
    Don't know who's luckier. Me or the dog. She will be on a virtual continual hunting and fishing escapade with us. Cuz that's about all I have to offer any more. Bummer, huh?

Dude, I'm so sorry for you and that pup.....HAH!!! I love pups. As crazy as they are. My son just brought home a hot rod black lab male from MN. Surprised me with it. The pup is fearless, and at 10 weeks has been on 2 a/c forays; one for ptarmigan in the foothills, one ice fishing (where he fell in the hole) jumped out of a truck window, and, well, just been a pup. Amazing how a bad day disappears when you have a bundle in your arms that smells like puppy breath.
    Have fun,
    ARR

Congratulations to all the new pup owners! Let the adventure begin!

Poor little girl got nipped in the muzzle this morning by a crotchety old choc lab who didn't appreciate a good arse sniff greeting. Swollen muzzle, a little torn hide and blood but nothing too bad. She had made many dog friends the last few weeks and I'm hoping she pulls her trust in other dogs back just a 'bit' out of this experience.
    Overall she's doing well with sit, come, fetching and somewhat heeling. A great little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Poor little girl got nipped in the muzzle this morning by a crotchety old choc lab who didn't appreciate a good arse sniff greeting. Swollen muzzle, a little torn hide and blood but nothing too bad. She had made many dog friends the last few weeks and I'm hoping she pulls her trust in other dogs back just a 'bit' out of this experience.
    Overall she's doing well with sit, come, fetching and somewhat heeling. A great little girl.
    Yeah, you gotta keep those pups away from mature dogs. Many don't like puppies, and you just never know which ones will go off on the pup. We lost a couple of pups in our dog club to this. In both cases (entirely separate incidents), the pups were allowed to go up to the mature dogs, then the dogs bit the pups. In both cases the brains of the pups were punctured and they both died. In one of these cases, a guy brought home a chiweenie pup and had a mature lab at home that killed it. I don't think the dog intended to kill the pup, it's just that pups are so easy to injure.

Glad your pup turned out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Water Dog is on my 'to get' list along w a couple other references.
    You may also want to look at his other books "Gun Dog" and "Game Dog" and use them together seeing that you want both a pointing dog as well as a retriever.

In saying that tho, I only used "Water Dog" and ended up with a chessy that not only retrieved but pointed as well. It basically comes just from his overall approach to having the dog wait for a command when it sees, or senses, anything "good".

Good luck with the pup, and let me know if you need any help with any potential problems that might pop up.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Picked up Water Dog yest and both the wife and I are part way into it. Interesting style of writing. So far so good.
    I was busy trying to help a guy on his cleared property with the wife and several other people when pup got nipped. Wife, (new with a pup) still has lessons to learn too. I didn't witness the encounter.
    If anyone has tips for stopping the peeing indoors, I'm all ears. She pretty much always goes when we take her out. But she doesn't give us any indication that she has to go out. So she still occasionally will pee indoors. Today she peed inside even tho the slider door was open for her if she desired. Instead she chose to go inside just ten feet from the open door.
    Anybody???
    Maybe just a bit more time?

You can try yelling NO and give a little swat on the nose and then take it immediately outside but you have to catch them right before or during or immediately after. If you wait too long (like more than a few seconds) then their little doggy brains have forgotten and gone on to other things.

Always give praise when they go outside and make it an "emotionally stimulating event" if you catch them going inside. If you miss it and find the mess later then you have missed a training opportunity.

Some have success tying a jingle bell on the door. Every time you take the dog out take its paw and swat the bell. Eventually they learn to swat the bell to let you know they need to go out. Our dog noses the blinds, so whatever you can get to work with your dog - be creative if you have to. Repetition and praise when they do it right will get you results.

Other people try crate training. We did that with our Labs and it worked great (along with nosing the blinds). Not sure if your breed does well with that or not.

Anyways, those are just some ideas. Many people have different methods so hopefully others will chime in as well. The puppy stage can be overwhelming at times but just stick with it and it will be rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
    You can try yelling NO and give a little swat on the nose and then take it immediately outside but you have to catch them right before or during or immediately after. If you wait too long (like more than a few seconds) then their little doggy brains have forgotten and gone on to other things. Always give praise when they go outside and make it an "emotionally stimulating event" if you catch them going inside. If you miss it and find the mess later then you have missed a training opportunity.Some have success tying a jingle bell on the door. Every time you take the dog out take its paw and swat the bell. Eventually they learn to swat the bell to let you know they need to go out. Our dog noses the blinds, so whatever you can get to work with your dog - be creative if you have to. Repetition and praise when they do it right will get you results.Other people try crate training. We did that with our Labs and it worked great (along with nosing the blinds). Not sure if your breed does well with that or not.Anyways, those are just some ideas. Many people have different methods so hopefully others will chime in as well. The puppy stage can be overwhelming at times but just stick with it and it will be rewarding Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, thanks. Pretty much the program already with the exception of the bell. Although that was discussed. We know about short memories and catching in the act, etc. Which is handled appropriately. About every pup has its own personal learning problem. This may be one that she may take just a bit longer than others. I'm not overly worried about it. She doesn't do it very often and she has taken the initiative to go out the open door and go outside. It was just a bit puzzling that she hasn't 'insisted' to be let out, since she seems to know that's where to go. Muzzle healing up nicely. Will be interesting to see how she acts around the next dog. Growing like a weed too. Our cat thought she could handle this 'little' problem. Now he has realized that Nova is becoming a 'bigger' problem. They wer about the same size just two weeks ago. Now Nova is about 4 inches taller than the cat.

Fun times!

best, but generally the least followed rule.
    Never give a command you can't enforce. Ever.
    I use a 20 (or more if we are outside) foot length of parachute cord on all my pups. If I want them to come to me, I first make sure I have the cord. And a treat.

I am looking forward to a new pup myself this fall and am envious you get the summer to spend with a young 'un...

I had a lab mix that didn't much tolerate the youngsters. She nailed my chessie pup when he was about 8 weeks. I have a photo of him with a rather swollen muzzle. He minded his manners around her after that, but it never affected his temperament with other dogs. He loved everyone. The muzzle 'grab' is a common way for an adult dog to discipline a younger one.. And a good way for humans to gently reinforce their authority over pup.

Looking forward to the updates!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Congratulations Cod, I admire the way you went about the decision. That type of commitment to a hunting partner pays off. Deliberate time with that pup will make all the difference in the world. Good looking to. Post lots of pics. Good huntin!

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Congratulations Cod, I admire the way you went about the decision. That type of commitment to a hunting partner pays off. Deliberate time with that pup will make all the difference in the world. Good looking to. Post lots of pics. Good huntin!
    Thanks Mark. I've always loved having my goldens growing up. Will be awesome to see MY dog fetching my ducks again. Maybe now I won't have to pass up some of those shots I've had to because I knew I couldn't get to the downed ducks.
    Mark, is that a Munster u have there, or is that a setter? ( can't tell on my little ph).

Thats Rigby in the truck there, he is an English Setter.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast