Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

Hey all -

Just a simple thread to ask the best way to get started baiting.

I have never done it but have wanted to for years, but I am not sure how to go about finding a location.

I had a friend start a couple years ago but he put his station too close to a cabin and got fined $700 before he even got to hunt - trooper was at his station waiting on opening day.

now 1, I wish AKFG would just tell you to move once they determine the location is bad rather than setting you up like that for a fine (i understand it if he hadn't registered it, but he did)

but 2, it really scared me off from even trying because I have no idea where all the cabins are and everywhere I have ever hunted would be a tough place to get a mile away from the nearest cabin or trail

not really looking for specific places to hunt (unless you want to PM me that info!) but general guidelines on how to locate a legal spot

Thanks for any advice.

Also, do most of you use climbing stands or do you build something and take it down at the end of the season?

I have always used Google Earth to look around the area first, establish proximity to other sites, acquire lat and long for the permit, and look at different ways of approaching. Next, I always scout the area to make sure no one else has a bear stand close to mine, or if anything was built after the Google satellite images were taken. Also, you might even be able to call a local Wildlife Trooper post and ask them questions about the area and they might be able to tell you that information. Once I have a barrel set up, I usually build a platform and take it down when I'm done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like Alaskatrevor stated above, You can ask but the best way to find out is to put some miles on the shoe leather express and scout it out. Set your GPS for the area you are thinking and then start a circling pattern around the spot on GPS. Walk until your GPS states that you have made a complete circle around your bait about a mile out or more and if nothing is found then you may be safe and you really get to know the area. You can find all the game trails and may even decide on a better spot during your wondering.
    Good luck,
    Steve

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    Like Alaskatrevor stated above, You can ask but the best way to find out is to put some miles on the shoe leather express and scout it out. Set your GPS for the area you are thinking and then start a circling pattern around the spot on GPS. Walk until your GPS states that you have made a complete circle around your bait about a mile out or more and if nothing is found then you may be safe and you really get to know the area. You can find all the game trails and may even decide on a better spot during your wondering.
    Good luck,
    Steve
    Better bring a lunch with you, that's about a 6 1/4 mile walk...no easy task in black bear country!!!