Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver for bait?

Default Beaver for bait?

Can beaver carcases be used as bait at black bear bait stations?

yes and im actually currently looking for a few to toss in the grinder

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...g.baitlocation

Types of Baits
    What types of bait should you use at your bait station? Only biodegradable materials may be used for bait. The only parts of fish or wildlife which can legally be used as bait are heads, bones, guts, and skin. In GMUs 7 and 15, fish or fish parts are not allowed to be used as bait. This is because brown bears are often attracted to fish and other decaying meats. In some parts of the state, baiters are strongly advised against using rotten items such as chicken or turkey carcasses because these items are so effective at drawing unwanted attention from brown bears. You don’t want brown bears at your bait site: You’ll need to refill the barrel more often, they’ll chase black bears away, and they can be dangerous to you and others using the site. Even if meat or fish are legal baits in your chosen GMU, they are not necessary for attracting black bears.

There are two main bait classifications, call bait and food bait.

1.Call Bait: This is usually a strong scent used to draw bears in from long distances. It is most effective when you can get the call bait up high in a tree. Examples of call baits include sweet items coated in syrup or vanilla. A number of effective commercial scent lures are also available.
    2.Food Bait: Every veteran bear baiter has their own secret food bait, but the bottom line is to find something that keeps the black bears coming back. Examples of food bait to put in your drum container are: dog food, syrup, honey, molasses, doughnuts, old bread, popcorn or any mixture of the above items—but mainly sweet stuff.
    Using grease as either a call or food bait has significant drawbacks. Like other meat or meat-related products, it tends to draw brown bears. It can also make your task of post-season site cleanup extremely difficult.

This is from the ADFG website. Im not so sure an entire beaver carcass can be used. Maybe Im wrong. NHRAFOX, can you show me where using an entire beaver carcass is legal?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

That is how I read it as well. So do the wildlife troopers apparently. Only the head, bones, guts, and skin of harvested game can be used for bear bait.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Archer View Post
    That is how I read it as well. So do the wildlife troopers apparently. Only the head, bones, guts, and skin of harvested game can be used for bear bait.
    I think a bunch of people miss this. I know lots guys who use the carcass. It’s great bait. A guy at work today mentioned that he heard they are going to be revisiting this definition?? IDK for sure.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

It just depends on whether the meat was required to be salvaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    It just depends on whether the meat was required to be salvaged.
    How do you figure that?

"The only parts of fish or wildlife which can legally be used as bait are heads, bones, guts, and skin."

Show me something different than what I pulled off the ADFG website. I may be wrong, but I cannot find anything that would alow the use of the meat for bait.

Check out the bear baiting regs located through the bear baiting tab.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It says "other parts of legally taken game not required to be salvaged."

The wording on the baiting conditions states only the head, bones, skin, and guts can be used as bear bait. This is the paper that you have to sign to register a bear bait. In the regs it does say other parts of game not required to be salvaged can be used as bait however the bear bait conditions paper that every baiter signs trumps the hunting regulations.

Beaver can be used for bait in any other circumstance, just not for baiting bears. Maybe not the intention of the regulation but that is the way it is worded.

The same question arises for using non-gamefish species with no salvage requirements...say a bucket full of herring, or hoolies, or pike.

The only parts of fish harvested with a sport license that can be used as bait are the heads, fins and guts.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Archer View Post
    The only parts of fish harvested with a sport license that can be used as bait are the heads, fins and guts.
    "Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under
    sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait,
    except;
    • Herring and whitefish may be used as bait,
    • Species for which bag limits, seasons, or other
    regulatory methods and means are not provided
    in sport fishing regulations may be used as bait,"

No such exception for using beaver at bear baits.

Page 17 of the hunting regs states that the skinned carcasses of furbearers may be used for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Page 17 of the hunting regs states that the skinned carcasses of furbearers may be used for bait.
    You are correct. However, not at a registered bear bait site, Which the bear bait conditions and alaska statute clearly state. Have you registerd a bear bait this year? It's number 2 on the conditions list. The troopers in Fairbanks have confirmed this.

It is confusing and probably not the intention of the regulation but it is what it is...

So deos this mean that I can't use "Trespassers" for bait..........?????????

It sounds like this is a good example of reminding people that while all bear bait site stuff falls under the category of "baiting", all "baiting" stuff does not necessarily apply to bear bait sites. One is general while the other is specific to a certain type of baiting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast