Thread: Considering a Plane

Default Considering a Plane

We are getting ready to retire and move to our remote cabin
    It is about 35 miles NW of Skwentna on a lake, definitely big enough for a plane on floats.
    We snow machine out in the winter (up the Yentna and then overland to the cabin)
    We are looking at me getting my license and maybe getting a plane.

Any suggestions?
    Planes?
    Instructors?
    Sharing a plane with someone?

Thanks

A lot depends on you. Your age and health will be determining factors. How often do you want to go in and out? It could be cheaper to just charter. Why didn't you start flying before? Why wait for retirement? Not enough land for an airstrip? A float equipped aircraft will be more expensive and more expensive insurance.

Fly because you have a passion for flying. Charter if you have a desire for transportation. In the end you'll spend far less by chartering. The only rationalization for the expense of ownership is the passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Fly because you have a passion for flying. Charter if you have a desire for transportation. In the end you'll spend far less by chartering. The only rationalization for the expense of ownership is the passion.
    True, but don't forget that airplanes historically appreciate in value, while the feds have historically allowed the purchase to be fully depreciated in six years, an attractive tax credit result.

Well I am 50, in very good health. Just re married 4 years ago, this piece of property was my wife's
    There is no place to put in a strip. In the summer we would not go in and out but once or twice. In the winter we would come out monthly, we would also do some flying to hunt and fish.
    I never really had time to learn before, was working so I could retire early. Also never really thought about living remote until I met my wife, her dad was a pilot/airplane mechanic for the FAA
    Besides who doesn't want to be ale to fly!!!
    I am retiring early but not because I am rich or have tons of money
    Thanks

Agree with Mr. Pid. I would not consider an airplane an investment in the financial sense...maybe in the sanity sense.

Charter will be very much cheaper.

If you fly yourself, you will also incur a lot more costs because you will want to fly a lot more than the missions you outlined above if you want to be proficient and safe.

What your own flight will get you that the charter will not is the flexibility and opportunity to go look at something just because, see something you would consider out of the way, or make long trips over multiple days. Those things sound romantic and fun. Many pilots don't do them...it is always a bit complicated to deal with extra logistics, and the airplane is almost like another child to care for...

I am one of the only people I know that bought a plane, learned to fly, and actually use it to go places and do stuff...including overnight adventures...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I am just learning to fly and bought a J-3 to learn in. I have throughly enjoyed learning to fly in my own plane and learning everything about the plane I will be flying when I pass my checkride.

I had a thread on co-ownership when I was beginning to look for planes you can probably search for it, bottom line, better to own your own. A lot to be sorted out in partnerships, insurance, maintenance, damage, modifications. For an off-airport plane, I want to know everything that happens to that plane.

Plane depends highly on your mission and budget.