Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What boat supplies would you like more available ??

Default What boat supplies would you like more available ??

What boat supplies would you like to see more available ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

$1.00 per gallon gas 😁😂

And $5 a bucket for shrimp bait too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Heavy duty rod holders capable of holding a halibut rod while fishing. I just don't trust the molded plastic rod holders to hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Heavy duty rod holders capable of holding a halibut rod while fishing. I just don't trust the molded plastic rod holders to hold up.
    Fishon style holders made out of aluminum would be awesome

I second the heavy duty rod holders. The spline plates on the adjustable plastic rod holders always strip out. I have looked everywhere I can think of for steel or aluminum versions but so far no luck

Quote Originally Posted by Seafish View Post
    I second the heavy duty rod holders. The spline plates on the adjustable plastic rod holders always strip out. I have looked everywhere I can think of for steel or aluminum versions but so far no luck
    really it took me 10 sec

http://www.commercialbargains.com/pr...FRSIfgodbwQA-A

I'ld seen that type McGyver , none seem to be quite right for our boat. Mainly I need to actually remember to take some pictures of what we have so I can match instead of buying the wrong stuff over and over again hehe.

That is the general idea of what I have looked for. The metal splines vs the easily stripped out plastic splines.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    uploadfromtaptalk1429756609826.jpgI think he is talking about this style made from aluminum. I can't find any either

Pretty much exactly like those 03121Tony. Both of our downriggers have that style of rod holder and we've had them strip out in as little as 1 trip.

If you donít have railing to mount the clamp-on stainless rod holds then gunnel flush mounts would seem to be the way to go. I had the latter on my previous boat and they were solid, but you need to have the courage to drill a 2Ē hole in our gunnel. Only problem was they looked very similar to my fuel filler inlet when the cap was removed, caught myself putting the filler nozzle in a couple of times.

http://www.fishkatcher.com/fishing/f...d-holders.html

My current boat has railing so have mounted the expensive stainless rod holders, they hold firm but have had them bend over and slip on the clams a couple of times when hung up; better that then breaking off.

http://www.westmarine.com/clamp-on-rail-mount-holders

To answer your question Steve, I canít think of anything boat related I would need that I canít buy locally or online. I'll keep you in mind if I think of something.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    If you donít have railing to mount the clamp-on stainless rod holds then gunnel flush mounts would seem to be the way to go. I had the latter on my previous boat and they were solid, but you need to have the courage to drill a 2Ē hole in our gunnel. Only problem was they looked very similar to my fuel filler inlet when the cap was removed, caught myself putting the filler nozzle in a couple of times.

My current boat has railing so have mounted the expensive stainless rod holders, they hold firm but have had them bend over and slip on the clams a couple of times when hung up; better that then breaking off.

To answer your question Steve, I canít think of anything boat related I would need that I canít buy locally or online. I'll keep you in mind if I think of something.

Jay
    The flush mounts are no doubt solid and secure, but the angle is the problem. With the rod pointed at such a high angle (30 degrees or so), a solid bite/hooked halibut can easily result in a broken rod. Boat rods just aren't designed to high-stick a heavy fish.

Iíve never seen that happen, usually the drag kicks in and you fight to pull the rod out of the holder; adds to the excitement. Canít imagine one of my jig poles braking theyíre pretty stout.
    Only time I ever had a pole break was when my buddy set the hook with his hand about a foot in front of the reel, but that was a light trolling rod; he surprised me by replacing it with a much nicer one.

I've seen it (had it) happen once, broke the rod about 8 inches from the tip.

The flush mounts are no doubt solid and secure, but the angle is the problem. With the rod pointed at such a high angle (30 degrees or so), a solid bite/hooked halibut can easily result in a broken rod. Boat rods just aren't designed to high-stick a heavy fish.
    My wife sticks her rod in my flush mount and winches the Halibut up all the time. Never once had a worry or a problem.
    Granted the biggest she has caught this way was 50# or so.
    My Penn rods have held up well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've seen it (had it) happen once, broke the rod about 8 inches from the tip.
    My guess would be your rod had a nick in it already. Like above for years my son was too small to hold a rod and his never left the rod holder. He has caught some decent fish. Mine most often is in the holder when a fish strikes as I'm generally playing deckhand. Many times I've heard a drag running and have turned around to find my rod tip in the water and line running. Like was suggested maybe your drags were too tight or a reel malfunctioned? Many reasons a rod can break.

I agree with needing a stout rod holder and i have shopped the internet extensively. there are some models out there but they have such large side mounts that i would never want that on my boat, would just hit it every time i walked by. I like the ones you show but they are for mounting on a railing. i don't have railings. was there a side mount style?

Ive been kicking around doing a flush mount 2" angled holder with bent butt rods for fishing halibut. I want to be able to put the rod in the holder when out of whittier in deep water without worrying a big one will come by and break my holder.

They catch/fight 1000lb tuna out of swivel rod holders mounted in the gunnels of boats and don't bust any rods ! isn't that what setting the drag is all about.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

PB,

I want to say publicly that I respect your commitment to sell top quality, American made gear and equipment. I really do believe you offer a very nice selection and you build nice pots. If I didn't, I wouldn't have tried to send business your way in the past. Moreover, your knowledge of your trade is probably without peer. You're an institution around here and I'm a little guy and a nobody, and while what I'm about to say will probably get me banned from this awesome resource of a web-site for speaking up publicly what should probably be said over PM, my gut won't let me. I've been wondering if it matters to anyone else but me to even mention the following but after very careful consideration, I think it's right to share these thoughts with everyone. Please bear with me:

While researching your products a month or so ago (I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new e-dyne, davit, 5 pots, line, the works for the new "small" boat) I stumbled onto a post where you mention your Alaska clientele to your buddies back East. It didn't seem complimentary. You mention the need to modify a davit "to go on the small boats these guys around here call ocean boats but they never really go out in a ocean!!" [insert smiley that makes me look like a chump]. While I'll be the first to admit, I definitely fit into that category and in my case your estimation of the level of salt in my blood is pretty much spot on, I wonder if all your local "friends"/customers who spend their hard earned cash here in Alaska on your fine wares will be so open-minded about the back channel jokes at our expense. Regardless of the size of my boat, or the height of the waves she will traverse, I fell in love hard with being out there, rain or shine, very soon after I moved here a decade or so ago. It's my passion. I have other passions too, like loyalty, things of quality, and the people and places in this magnificent state.

Now before you dismiss my rant under the guise of censorship, I'll also mention (not to my credit) that I make my living upholding and defending the Constitution, including our protected right to unabridged free speech, so if this is just your style and nobody else cares, preach on. To me though, it stings because it makes me feel like a chump, correction, a chump-would-be-owner of some pretty sweet gear. My point is simple: is this really the best way to honor the Alaskan friends/clients who support your business? I ask because what it looks like is you sell to my fellow Alaskan outdoorsmen then make fun of them behind their backs.

I may be making too much of this and if so, I apologize but it just hasn't sat right with me. I hate the thought that I could drop thousands on gear only later to discover online that I'm the butt of some joke that real sailors of real waters with real boats on the dang east coast laugh at because I'm not the "real deal". In the end, we are all proud of what we've done and where we've come from and we should be. As for me though, if I wanted to be laughed at by the people I purchased my stuff from, I'd go to any number of the other businesses around here with outside interests.

Respectfully,
    Tom
    Last edited by archertom; 04-24-2015 at 05:22. Reason: grammar

Tom, the bigger question is, why does it matter what one guy in Palmer says to his buddies back east?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast