Thread: Revised plan

Default Revised plan

I know you cant get free land, I know that homesteading is gone, I Know its expensive.

The plan is as follows

I am saving money now, after graduation I will move to Montana for roughly 2 years to work on a ranch( hopefully visiting Alaska By then)

After that i will drive through Canada and up to Fairbanks, where I will have already acquired a job and a dry cabin

I will stay in the dry cabin till I find the property I want to build my house on (get established)

I would like to live a lifestyle where i grow most of my food or raise/hunt it.

I have experience with live stock and some carpentry, hunting and fishing all my life

On the road system, accessible by 4x4

Basically I want the closest thing to a homestead as possible

I know I don't know everything I would like some criticism on this plan. Anything I am forgetting

I already have this years milepost for planing

With regards, AK47nutter

Ive sold most of my life, and bought a ton of stuff to start a new life in Alaska, I already have 2 properties, but haven't figured which one I want to build on,once I get there probally 1st or 2nd week of june ill be in Alaska, Ill over look the lands and maybe ill have to find another property. I know its going to be hard but im willing to try. Fail or succeed we will find out

Dee

I have been going to flea markets and yard sales buying stuff I will need I have several friends that are diehard homesteaders, thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    I would like to live a lifestyle where i grow most of my food or raise/hunt it.
    Consider that the growing season is only three months long here in the interior, and raising livestock is expensive and labor intensive.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes, I have been looking at cold boxes and something like a green house to extend the growing season a little. The feed price when I looked online was almost the same price that it is in PA.

Default what supplies do you plan on bringing, and what are you going to get when there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    I have been going to flea markets and yard sales buying stuff I will need I have several friends that are diehard homesteaders, thanks for the reply

Sounds like you have some general ideas laid out. I've been thinking about Alaska lately, and have been pondering some scenerios.

maybe others more experienced can comment.. but is it the smartest move to build up all the materials before your move to Montana years out? (only asking if this is material only for Alaska) as the shipping price/moving (two times) expense may be more then getting in Alaska?
    i don't know, depends on what those are? guns, tools, atv, etc?
    just something that might be worth detailed thought. (what you will bring, how, cost, etc)
    Best of Luck!

I have decided to skip moving to Montana because I found out that i will be in Colorado Elk hunting, when i was planning on moving.
    and a recent raise has caused me not to need to.
    I am a firm believer in the economic collapse that will be far worse than the great depression. The materials that i am buying are for prepping in general but mostly Alaska, nothing i buy will be shipped up, it will be brought up with me
    I have decided that the only gun going i am bringing is my Mosin. I will have the rest of my prohibited stuff shipped up by my dad
    I do plan on bringing my YZ 125 with me and a 17 ft boat that i was given does anyone have any experience bringing boats and or dirt bikes through Canada. I will be bringing a lot of tools with me, hand drill, hand plane, buck saw chainsaw mill , etc

Thank you for the reply excuse my grammatical mistakes i just had my wisdom teeth out.