Thread: Finally, an article about Bear Defense, that I can agree with.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Finally, an article about Bear Defense, that I can agree with.

In this month's, May, Fur-Fish-Game Magazine.

Rogue Bears, by David O'Farrel

The subject is thoroughly examined, without all the obligatory nonsense, although that stuff is examined, too.

I highly recommend it, to all the swamp trompers and other outdoor recreators. CUZ, I think he's right, that's all.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, did this fellar really interview the bears to get their side of the story, or is it just another subjective article from a human view????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Smitty, did this fellar really interview the bears to get their side of the story, or is it just another subjective article from a human view????
    The latter.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty:

Could you copy and paste the article here?

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    Smitty:

Could you copy and paste the article here?
    The article is in the magazine, to which I have a subscription, but since it is not a "Featured Article", at their website, I can't find the article Online, and post a Link to it. OR, cut and paste the text of it.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

How about scan it...convert it to a PDF or word doc...and then copy and paste?

Let's be careful with that, fellas. It's copyrighted. Excerpts are fine, but not entire articles. Best to buy the mag.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

OK Smitty: we have been admonished. Time for a "book report" synopsis in bullet points. We await your feedback.

Fur Fish & Game is my favorite magazine. Plenty of useful info without all the bs ads. Everyone should subscribe.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

OK Smitty: we have been admonished. Time for a "book report" synopsis in bullet points. We await your feedback.
    Did I "admonish" anyone? Who am I, to do that?

Hmm, well, gimme some TIME, maybe I can come up with some excerpts that illustrate why I'm approving the article.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty:

Sorry, I was referring to Michael's "copyright" post above. No harm, no foul :>)

Smitty:

Sorry, I was referring to Michael's "copyright" post above. No harm, no foul :>)
    OK, I understand. I should have known.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've been critical, and impatient, in the past about some of the "Baloney" that has been written about bear, bear attacks, etc. This, what I've described as Baloney, has been repeated by posters here on this Forum, and some have taken me to task taking exception.

That's OK, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion, some of these "common beliefs" are downright dangerous. I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I like to think that I have a LITTLE common sense, enough to reject the Nonsense, that I'm speaking about.

Obviously, I can't go into detail about what I've said, and others have said on other threads, and all is forgiven, but we're still talkin, because this subject comes up pretty often. I think that's due to the fact that it is interesting as well as important.

This article, is not heavy on the things I've mentioned. It covers it all, I think, but it does seem to refute some of the ideas, about bears, that I find objectionable.

How people FEEL about bears, and what they think they KNOW, about them, effects how the authorities that deal with bears, act. Reference, the Governor's recent action, regarding the bears on Government Hill, in Anchorage.

No Book Report, but,,,

Following, are excerpts I've retyped from the article in FFG magazine. Keep in mind, that mentioned in this way, they can be "out of context".

"too many truly believe that all bear attacks are in some way provoked by the people, and thus avoidable."

"A grizzly bear came through a window after a young couple, inside their home." (Killed the woman, BTW)

"Few animals are as unpredictable as a bear. Legendary Master Guide Hal Waugh expressed this quite strongly in his book Alaska Game Trails."

"Predatory attacks are by far the most dangerous. The bear does not appear to be agitated, because he is not. It's intent is to eat you, and you may fail to recognize this fact until it's too late."

"Few things in the outdoors are as dangerous as a bear in camp. These animals are hungry, and have lost their fear of humans, or both."

'Most of the wildlife agency handouts, I have seen advise campers to keep all food in bear-proof containers, and to store these containers some distance away from camp. Wise campers may question this advice. In fact"

I would say that this article is not the norm, but the approach is more on the practical side. I wish that everyone could read it. I know now, that that Black Bear that my wife was afraid of, was a lot more dangerous than I thought, at the time.
    You can't out-give God.

What if everybody is not in fact entitled to their opinion?

Got to agree with you Smitty, and the article. I've read Hal Waugh's books also. Been around bears all my life. Lots of them. Have taken dozens of black bears, even one with my bow. Been charged a few times while logging and once by a wounded boar. Some of the things I hear people repeat are laughable, but it might be their experience.
    I used to chase off the black bears that came around our logging operation.....until that one that didn't take off like the others. LOL. Was breeding time for bears, and she had a yearling to protect. After her 2 false charges and she finally left, I noticed the huge boar sniffing down her trail. I got lucky that day, twice. I didn't even let the boar know I was around. After work, we went back with big medicine, and made freezer pets out of all 3 of them.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    What if everybody is not in fact entitled to their opinion?
    Well, they've got mine or yours to fall back on.

Opinions aren't always exclusive.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Got to agree with you Smitty, and the article. I've read Hal Waugh's books also. Been around bears all my life. Lots of them. Have taken dozens of black bears, even one with my bow. Been charged a few times while logging and once by a wounded boar. Some of the things I hear people repeat are laughable, but it might be their experience.
    I used to chase off the black bears that came around our logging operation.....until that one that didn't take off like the others. LOL. Was breeding time for bears, and she had a yearling to protect. After her 2 false charges and she finally left, I noticed the huge boar sniffing down her trail. I got lucky that day, twice. I didn't even let the boar know I was around. After work, we went back with big medicine, and made freezer pets out of all 3 of them.

Thanks SmokeRoss:

I'd like to hear your stories in more detail. Anything you'd care to post.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Let's be careful with that, fellas. It's copyrighted. Excerpts are fine, but not entire articles. Best to buy the mag.

Mike
    The May issue is no longer available, at least at the largest Barnes & Noble in my area.

Had a thought to search for this article, thinking someone may have posted it.
    Found a site called http://www.magzter.com/ where you can purchase a single digital of this magazine for $3.99
    I am reading the Rogue Bear article now.
    Bill

here's a long video. well worth the time, very funny, realistic, matter of fact, research supported......