Thread: New To Alaska

Default New To Alaska

I moved up here last summer to Wasilla and have been looking for some good areas to go Bear Hunting. Looking specifically in units 14 and 16. I have hunted off Wasilla Fish-hook road, Trappers Creek along the river, and scouted out in Petersville. This was mostly in the fall and I went to these areas last weekend again. I have yet to even see a bear. I would like some suggestions on places I should start looking to try and bag my first bruin.

Default New To Alaska

Since your not getting any replies, I'll be the one to break it to you, your question is asked at least a dozen times every spring and fall, it appears everyone is tired of answering it.

Do a search and you'll find all kinds of advice.

The areas your looking have bears, I don't think they are very active yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as stated before, the areas do have bears, had a buddy with a black bear bait stand out in hatcher pass last year get a decent brownie on his bait just couldn't shoot it. I drove up Palmer Fish-hook on Sunday just to see how much snow was still left up there and maybe do some glassing around (boredom) but there is still a decent amount of snow up there. So still to early. Give it a couple more weeks to a month and they will prob be more active around there.

If you are just looking for a spot and stalk (although a lot of work and lower success rate), glass all the mountains from Turnigan Pass down to the Kenai Pen./Seward "Y". I very seldom glass those mountains without seeing a few bears.

But, it is still early of them. I haven't been down there yet this spring, but usually mid-May is when they start popping up. And, spot and stalk on a mountain side is hard work with little reward. But it will help you see and bear, and learn to see what to look for. Drive to onmountainan and glass ithoroughlyly before moving to the next. At least 10-15 minutes each. Sometimes you will see a bear right away, and other times you will need to watch, and one will suddenly "appear".

Good Luck !!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Thanks for all of the info. I have been through Trappers Creek and haven't seen any sign of bears yet. I have also scanned the mountains allong Willow Fishook Road into Hatchers and haven't seen anything in their either.