Thread: Eklutna Kings in 3 years ??

Default Eklutna Kings in 3 years ??

F&G stocked the most ever Kings in Eklutna Tail Race in 2014
    2017 or 2018 be the year to fish ? ?
    No sure of the times ... how long after the stocked fry leave & when come back ???
    Do the stocked fry leave right after stocked ?? Is that 1 year of the 4 year cycle ?

over 394,000 June 10 thru 24
    kng ek.jpg

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=SportStockingHatcheriesSearch.main

It shows about 150,000 in 2010 and about 11,000 in 2011 if i'm readin that right so shouldnt some b comin back this year as well? Provided of course the ocean didnt eatem all... "Fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Chinook are stocked as yearlings. Those planted in 2014 are from the 2012 brood year, hatched in early 2013, held til spring of 2014 before release.

Jacks come back in 2015 (1.1's)
    Dinks come back in 2016 (1.2's)
    Avg kings come back in 2017 (1.3's)
    BIG kings come back in 2018 (1.4's)
    If any of them survive, MEGA kings come back in 2019 (1.5's)
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

So I guess that mean mayb or maybe not... I think is what your saying....
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

The numbers posted are of the fish they put in not the ones that's survive more than a week either from birds or kids..... With kings your fry survive rate isn't all that good which is why they are hard to stock. If they put 90,000 they should get back about 15,000 to 20,000 fish. I have been fishing the last 10 years and the worst year was about 4 years ago. It's been getting better the last 2 years. Some of the locals punch out every year but, they fish ever day.

Quote Originally Posted by cariboumaster View Post
    If they put 90,000 they should get back about 15,000 to 20,000 fish.
    UMMMM..... no!

You're talking a survival rate of 16-22%. That would be off the charts ridiculously GOOD.

Real survival is a tenth of that. With the horrible cycle of low chinook productivity in the ocean, you'd be lucky to see recruitment of 1500-2000 from a 90,000 smolt release.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Wow... no wonder why it's been so bad

Ya even on the Great Lakes where they have minimal predation we only saw 5% return rates.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

With the new hatchery on line, I believe released smolt size will be larger, which should improve return percentage. Speculation on my part, as I have not talked to the hatchery about this specific stock, but overall the new hatchery is producing bigger fish due to warm rearing water vs the Ft. Rich hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    UMMMM..... no!

You're talking a survival rate of 16-22%. That would be off the charts ridiculously GOOD.

Real survival is a tenth of that. With the horrible cycle of low chinook productivity in the ocean, you'd be lucky to see recruitment of 1500-2000 from a 90,000 smolt release.
    I agree the amount coming back is very slim, and with the massive amount of people fishing the chances slim down even more. But there is always ship creek....... The size is also a concern at Trailrace, providing very small kings compared to what has been pulled out of ship creek.