Thread: LR Reticle

Default LR Reticle

I am looking at a new 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 leupold scope with the LR reticle. For those who are not familiar with it, the scope has a regular duplex type cross-hairs but also has two dots on the lower vertical post. If you shoot a 30'06 and sight the main cross hairs in at 200 yards the first dot down is 300 and the second is 400. Have any of you had any experience with this reticle or a similar one? I am not interested in a scope with turrets, but have always been curious about one of these. I do pretty good shooting my old scope with a regular duplex, but I am curious about this particular scope so as to not have any guessing for hold over on longer shots. Also for you leupold fans, do you think there is a big difference between the vari-x and vari-xx? Thanks.

Don't count on your dots being right on 300 and 400 yards. Very few scope reticles are really caliber/velocity specific. Your first dot might be right on at 325 and your second at 450. But they'll be close and that's OK. You just have to know where it's shooting. Get out and verify your drops and make up a range card and tape it to your stock. OF COURSE you'll also be carrying a rangefinder.
    I use both turrets and stadia lined reticles and by far the turrets are more accurate. I've sent in my verified drops along with velocity, bullet BC and caliber to Leupold (or others) and they've made custom turrets that have worked very well.
    I have some of both the VX-1 and the VX-2 and I can't tell much difference in clarity but the VX-2 seems to be a bit more sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncowboy View Post
    I am looking at a new 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 leupold scope with the LR reticle. For those who are not familiar with it, the scope has a regular duplex type cross-hairs but also has two dots on the lower vertical post. If you shoot a 30'06 and sight the main cross hairs in at 200 yards the first dot down is 300 and the second is 400. Have any of you had any experience with this reticle or a similar one? I am not interested in a scope with turrets, but have always been curious about one of these. I do pretty good shooting my old scope with a regular duplex, but I am curious about this particular scope so as to not have any guessing for hold over on longer shots. Also for you leupold fans, do you think there is a big difference between the vari-x and vari-xx? Thanks.
    I forget exactly (traded/swapped/bought a rifle with it) how I got a LR reticle in one of my scopes, but I have one. I've been seeing/using these kind of things for more than 20 years (Shepherd Scopes/Premier Reticles) and never found much use for them. A standard duplex has two aiming points and that has been more helpful to me than cluttering up the view with ballistic circles, dots or hashes. In the field, turrets are much faster, more friendly and precise IME. Preferring a ballistic reticle to turrets is akin to preferring a chamber pot to a flush toilet, though I suppose there are those who have their reasons.

I'm not certain which model scopes you're questioning about within the Leupold line, and the Leupold line is extensive. If you intend to zero a scope and leave it, then I wouldn't make much difference in the various models, though I've definite models that I prefer due to their durability, eye-relief and ease of mounting. I'd rate the VX-3 3.5-10x40 the best of the lot as a general purpose variable.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Some experience with a similar one: I've been using a Nikon BDC for a few years and like, but don't love, it. Others on other forums hate it. Long story short: you use Nikon's on-line software to state where you want the cross hairs zeroed and it tells you where the small circles below "should" be at various ranges. For my 7mm-08 load I zero at 200 and then test it at the ranges listed. It's pretty close, kind of surprising, but I'd never trust the software without testing it in the field. Most likely it's similar to other long range/hold over reticules. I don't want to be spinning turrets for general hunting either.

I hunted with an old Weaver K4 for about 20 years and did fine with that until it fogged up. Kind of miss the simplicity of it.

I had a scope with various aiming points am I found I kept forgetting what ranges they were for, I elected to go back to a standard cross hair and limit the range oft shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I am going to have to think about this one for awhile...and in the mean time I will continue running rounds through my rifle.

A few years ago I was looking into developing my shooting skill set out to 400 yards, my scope set up was a leupold vxIII 2.5x8. I sent it in to leupold and they covered it to the CDS system they recently developed. It's a great set up, simple to use and has paid dividends in the field by extending my range. I have both vx-II and vx-III models, you can tell a difference in clarity, I won't upgrade from a II to a III but for an initial set up I would go for the higher end. Best of luck

I have a Leupold Vari-X3 3.5X10 with the Boone and Crockett reticle. Sighted with a zero of 200 yards, the horizontal hash marks mirror the impact of my 30-06 load very closely out to 400 yards. I find it exceptionally useful. My son and I have used it on several sheep and a goat. I don't like to twirl knobs while I'm hunting. If my quarry is further than 400 yards away, then I won't shoot and will attempt to find a way to close the distance.

I have one of those scopes you are mentioning above, Its a Leupold Mark 2, its their version of a tactical scope and reticle, they don't make the Mark 2 anymore, but I do believe they still make the Mark 4 and Mark 6, however there is an array of mildot reticles out now. As far comparing them to a VX-2 or VX-3, the glass is similar, the reticles different, I only seen the B&C reticles on the Vx-3. I used the Mark 2 on my 280 remington before for sheep hunting and it worked fine.

I have a mark 4, 4.5-14x40 with capped target turrets and a mil dot reticle on a 7 rem mag. Its a great scope and I prefer it over my Swarovski 3.5-18x44

I've taken sheep out to 552 yards with it and it's been a great so far. Turrets are solid and repeatable. The only thing I wish was that the clicks on the turret were a little harder of a click. The mil dot reticle has worked great and helped make a windage adjustment on a long shot.

I agree with 1Cor about the LR reticle. I too have one but don't use it. This rifle scope set-up was sighted in like all of my other rifles without the LR reticle. I use the point blank range for the cartridge and call it good. It is easy and simple to use out to the PBR. No fiddling with the turrets or guessing about the dot to use. I sometimes pick up one of my other guns depending on the game situation and never have to worry about the set-up.