Thread: How to Prepare Lox...

Default How to Prepare Lox...

anyone with a good Lox recipie? Thanks

Man now I need to buy Bagels & Cream Cheese!!! SLRRRRPP!!!

Goalie, we used to make lox by just making salt fish. We always used a plastic five-gallon bucket (don't use metal containers). Put in a thick layer of salt, and then a layer of salmon (cut in chunks), layer of salt, layer of salmon, top with layer of salt. Put a weight of some kind on top (we used a wooden board cut to fit topped with a clean river rock) It will make a brine over time. Lasts a long time this way. Only problem is in soaking the salmon to get the salt out, really takes a lot of soaking in multiple batches of water and will still be salty.

Anyway, after removing salted fish from bucket and soaking to remove salt, you can cut in thin slices like lox, lay on bagel with cream cheese. I love lox...wife makes killer bagels...but cream cheese is hard to come by out here <grin>. Doesn't last long when we do get some either. Salt fish like that is about the easiest way to preserve salmon if you have salt...takes a lot of salt though.

good lox guidelines in the book "smoking salmon and trout".
    50/50 salt and brown sugar, chopped fresh herbs, and cognac. book is available nearly everywhere, spiral bound...author is jack whelan.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Blue ribbon lox...

Ron Eller from Beaver Creek Lodge in Kodiak has been pulling the blue ribbon at the Kodiak Fair for years with his lox. His method is intensive and time consuming, but the product is superior.

I see Ron in three weeks and I will be asking him to submit his recipe (and others) in our forthcoming cookbook.

Eller is a great chef with a great sense of humor. He showed up one evening at his lodge with a government issured USCG chef's outfit and brought down the house! He renders lox for his guests by purchase order at the lodge. They pay (as I have) and get a superior product at a fair price.

Coming your way...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Exclamation i am pretty sure that you cannot sell cold-smoked fish.

as far as i know the AK DEC requires that all fish processed in alaska be brought to a certain temperature to kill parasites and bacteria, this would preclude any actual lox being sold...legally, at least, as lox is either not smoked at all, or smoked very lightly at low temperature.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Smile

Alaska Sausage (in Anchorage) smokes and sells lox. Cold-smoked.

My understanding was that gravlachs (from the Scandinavian tradition) is the one that's not smoked at all - it's cured. Doesn't it have to be cold-smoked to be lox?