Thread: REd Salmon fishing help

Default REd Salmon fishing help

I need some advice. I have a group of friends from the lower 48 coming middle of June. They want to go red fishing. I'm not sure if I have the knowledge or the patience to take and teach all four of them myself, although one does have some experience. They want to do a guided trip on the kenai and I have no idea about who to talk to. Anyone got a favorite to recommend? Dates would be 24 or 25 June. Thanks for any input.

check your inbox. lots of good guides on the kenai.

Fishology. I highly recommend him.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I could be out in left field but red fishing the kenai that time of year is going to be terrible? The only fish in the river will be Russian reds???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed that most likely the best fishing at that point will be in the Russian itself, and even then the run might be on the downhill side. What about the Kasilof? I know I've dipped it with good results around then.

limon and brian are 100% right on the money. how ever, i remember 25 yrs ago when i was first experiencing fishing the kenai. even poor fishing by resident standards seemed fantastic to me at the time, as a nonresident. as residents we are spoiled when compared to SOME lower 48 fishing.
    (think 8 or 10 hrs fishing for one 5 lbs bass or walleye) so its kinda all in the eye of the beholder so to speak. just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    limon and brian are 100% right on the money. how ever, i remember 25 yrs ago when i was first experiencing fishing the kenai. even poor fishing by resident standards seemed fantastic to me at the time, as a nonresident. as residents we are spoiled when compared to SOME lower 48 fishing.
    (think 8 or 10 hrs fishing for one 5 lbs bass or walleye) so its kinda all in the eye of the beholder so to speak. just my 2 cents
    Yep, that's about right for Texas. That's why we drink a lot of beer while fishing

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    Good point, I forget my scale has been skewed by living up here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even thought The Klutina is getting worse as far as big ass crowds it seemed to got hit pretty bad after that very dismal early red run in 2012 and everyone made a run for the Klutina, so now everyone is headed up there to fish rather chance it on the upper Kenai and Russian river.. But anyhow I would definitely look towards the Klutina for June reds unless the Russian has a good run this year. I know the last couple of years I was up there the early red run on the upper Kenai and Russian really sucked ass. I have no idea how that run was last year.