Thread: Sitka sandlance spoons

Default Sitka sandlance spoons

Any one using the Sitka sandlance spoons for kings around Homer?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

What do they look like, and who makes them?

They look great, but that price tag. Ouch!

I was just on a Halibut charter out of Victoria BC with a well regarded local guy so I asked him about the Sitka Sandlance for Salmon he pulled one out and said it had outperformed bait-much to his surprise.

Remember the price you see is in Canadian dollars so you get about a 20% break

http://shop.sitka.ca/classic/

Looks like the same action and concept as a coho killer.......which I love.

I just ordered a bunch, so I'll find out for sure. But I like the fact that they're so long. Just lots more "sand lance" to them than any other available.

Worse than the price though is that they're saddled with Canadian postal rates. Those are killer!!!!!! Shipping for 6 of them is $28. Note that they give free shipping on orders of $250, so it might be a good thing to get together with some buds and come up with an order big enough for free shipping.

I'm betting they're killers and look forward to getting mine. Sand lance are a big deal around here, so it's always surprised me that more and better imitations aren't available. For casting the best I've found are 6" and 7" soft baits and jigs for "sand eels" used especially for striped bass on the East Coast. Those are unbelievable performers when cast, but stink for trolling due to short strikes. These spoons would take Alaska by storm if they could get around the shipping issues.

They're going to get some serious competition from the Candlefish version of the King Candy, and will have to get their price point in order. Those King Candy are outstanding for trolling "sand lance" but impossible to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    ....Sand lance are a big deal around here, so it's always surprised me that more and better imitations aren't available.
    Have a look @ these-the website is under maintenance right now but reviews are excellent they're designed by a Vancouver Island commercial fisherman and meant to be trolled fast.

Made in a local machine shop so prices are high and Yes shipping rates in Canada are ridiculously high.

http://www.ironneedlelures.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For casting the best I've found are 6" and 7" soft baits and jigs for "sand eels" used especially for striped bass on the East Coast. Those are unbelievable performers when cast, but stink for trolling due to short strikes....
    Yes I know what you mean about short strikes it's a PITA.

These British products have produced a few Salmon on the troll but work better for Pike when casted.

http://www.redgill.co.uk/red-gill-lu...d-eel/natural/

I was able to get them for about $6.00 USD apiece with a sizable order. I am doing something wrong trying to post a picture of them.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson