Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hello,
    I am a new member. I live in Illinois and have taken several big P&Y whitetails but never any of the other NA big game species. Recently my wife won an Alaskan Cruise in SEAK. We didn't like the boat so much but it was great to see the state. On one of our day trips we hiked up to Laughton glacier. Along the way I probably saw 15 or so mountain goats.

This really got my juices flowing and now my brother and I would like to return with bow in hand for a goat. They say this is the most challenging of the NA game species to take so we might as well start at the top. Any suggestions on drawing a tag, locations or outfitters vs do-it-yourself would be appreciated.

Looking forward to responses.

Also we would be open to trading a hunt.

later-

Default No DIY

Andy,

As a non-resident you'll have to go on a guided hunt for mountain goats. Only residents and non-residents who are accompanied by a relative within the second degree of kindred who's an Alaskan resident can hunt goats without a guide. Same holds true for brown/grizzly bear, and Dall sheep.
    Last edited by shart; 06-20-2007 at 18:21. Reason: hit reply too soon

Default Drop hunts

What about drop hunts? Can an guide drop me and my party, let us hunt and then pick us up. I am just trying to be economical and we like to do things ourselves. Otherwise I would appreciate some recomendations on guides.

Thanks.

Default Unfortunately,

You won't be afforded the option of a Do-it-yourself Hunt. Your Guide will be right beside you, making sure you shoot the right goat and telling you when to shoot. That'll keep you from possibly making an error in judgement, which may lead to a fine and surrendering of the goat.

Maybe start nearer the bottom, say, black bear, caribou or moose. Not that a goat is the most challenging hunt anyway. My pick for that is sheep...

If it's your dream, then find a way to live it.

Taylor

Default Give Jake A Try

If your set on goats you might give Jake Jefferson a try. He is a user of this forum. I believe his goat hunts are on Kodiak Island. Check his web site (address below). I've never hunted with him or been on any other guided hunts for that matter, but if I was giong to do so, I'd want a guide that I enjoyed being around as much as my other hunting partners. Jake always seemed to be that type of guy and I'm sure he'd set you up with a quality hunt as well.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akp...ting/index.htm

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Alaskan goat hunt...

...you could always became an x-Illinois resident, then after a one year wait there would be no problem for a DIY hunt...otherwise for nonresidents a guide is mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by shart View Post
    Andy,

As a non-resident you'll have to go on a guided hunt for mountain goats. Only residents and non-residents who are accompanied by a relative within the second degree of kindred who's an Alaskan resident can hunt goats without a guide. Same holds true for brown/grizzly bear, and Dall sheep.

See a pattern here?

Once again, the guides are writting the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    See a pattern here?

Once again, the guides are writting the laws.
    What are you talking about? Its been like that for years.