Thread: Gold on the Kenai Peninsula beaches? Yup I got some!

Default Gold on the Kenai Peninsula beaches? Yup I got some!

I won't say where but we went out today with my gold prospectors club for some beach gold.
    Thanks to some of our members who prospected this spot in advance so we had a good place to go.
    Working some sand at home now and here is some of what I got from 1/2 a bucket of sand.
    The gold is very fine so it takes a bit to get it separated.
    I still have a full bucket to work after cleaning up some more of the stuff from bucket number 1.
    But here is a sample of what I got thanks to the help of my stepson. He did good with the digging today.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Better hope the Discovery Channel doesn't see that

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Thanks to some of our members who prospected this spot in advance so we had a good place to go.
    I wonder if the reason they went early was to get all the nuggets? LOL

I won't say where but we went out today with my gold prospectors club for some beach gold.
    Working some sand at home now and here is some of what I got from 1/2 a bucket of sand.
    The gold is very fine so it takes a bit to get it separated.
    I still have a full bucket to work after cleaning up some more of the stuff from bucket number 1.
    But here is a sample of what I got thanks to the help of my stepson. He did good with the digging today.
    Wow....that's great!!! There's actually quite a bit there for only a half a bucket.

Who'd a thunk it...???........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I wonder if the reason they went early was to get all the nuggets? LOL
    While some members did find a few flake size pieces, nuggets off the beach like this are extremely rare.
    So no they did not go to get all the nuggets. Besides they really didn't have to give up this spot they found anyway.
    A bit farther out then the area they found last year though.
    I just wish the tide hadn't chased us out. With these big spring tides you have to get in and out on one tide.
    Many of the peninsula beaches have a bluff behind you with no where to go should you get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Wow....that's great!!! There's actually quite a bit there for only a half a bucket.

Who'd a thunk it...???........lol
    There's more gold in the pan I have to get out so that may only be 1/2 of what came out of that 1/2 a bucket. Granted some of what was in bucket #1 was stuff I panned down into a tub to say 1/4 to 1/6th of the material I started with.
    The Gold cubes a couple of members had seemed to work good but with the amount of heavy black sands present they couldn't run them anywhere near the rate the manufacturers said they could run at.
    In Nome they run a beach box that would be awesome to try here because you can run a large volume of material through them.
    The problem is they need lots of water to run them. In Cook Inlet our tides are so big at low tide you would nee 1/2 a mile of pipe to reach the water for your pump. So they are not really useful for us here.
    If anybody wants to learn how to do this kind of stuff we Have our meetings the first Thursdays of every month at the legion in Kenai.
    You do not need to be a GPAA member to attend. Or send me a PM for more info.

Great gold for the beach! I had no idea there's a gold club on the Kenai. Is it a GPAA club?

How are you running the sand at home a recirculating sluice with Vmats,a blue bowl or just panning thought it?

Great finds! Could you post a picture of your take after you get it all cleaned up?

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    Great gold for the beach! I had no idea there's a gold club on the Kenai. Is it a GPAA club?

How are you running the sand at home a recirculating sluice with Vmats,a blue bowl or just panning thought it?

Great finds! Could you post a picture of your take after you get it all cleaned up?
    Yes we are currently a GPAA chapter.With the new owner of the GPAA we were having issues with them and have been considering forming our own club separate from them.I did here they have some new people in place now so we will see what happens.

As far as cleanup goes I am using a modified Gold Buddy recirculator that I replaced the riffle and carpet with black matting.
    I have a rain gutter sluice and may try that as well. My magnet is getting out tons of the black sands also.
    Panning this stuff is tedious work as the black sands are just so heavy and there's lots of them. Especially compared to the stream gravel panning.
    Can't wait for other areas to open up. Really wanting to visit a friends claim on Canyon creek this year.
    Just remembered I need new permits for 2015.
    So much fun so little time.

I know that there was a mine at Anchor Point beach. They hired coolies to dig a big ditch to mine some portion of it. You can see it on the old topo map.
    Gold is where yo find it.

Nice find Chris!
    Bk

Yes we are currently a GPAA chapter.With the new owner of the GPAA we were having issues with them and have been considering forming our own club separate from them.I did here they have some new people in place now so we will see what happens.

As far as cleanup goes I am using a modified Gold Buddy recirculator that I replaced the riffle and carpet with black matting.
    I have a rain gutter sluice and may try that as well. My magnet is getting out tons of the black sands also.
    Panning this stuff is tedious work as the black sands are just so heavy and there's lots of them. Especially compared to the stream gravel panning.
    Can't wait for other areas to open up. Really wanting to visit a friends claim on Canyon creek this year.
    Just remembered I need new permits for 2015.
    So much fun so little time.
    Thanks for the response, I understand the changes with the GPAA. I dropped my membership due to the new owners. Never had any direct issues except that they changed their forums online and I never receive any of the mailings I was supposed to. Maybe it was growing pains but I didn't wait around to see. I think if you are considering forming a new club and it was not just for folks in your region it could gain some interest. I always wondered why there was no Alaska prospecting association. I have friends in the states that are part of in state clubs and it seems to be a great setup. Yearly trips, outings where they get together and hunt for gold. One of them even has there own club claims. Like mini GPAA for folks that enjoy looking for gold and meeting up. Just sounds like good times with good people.

I just got my permits last week, now if may 15th would get here or some of the non closed creeks would open up I be out. Your lucky if you get to go play on canyon creek, seen some beautiful big gold come out of there. Never prospected it myself though.

Again beautiful color you found, it's ramped up my fever! Good luck and have fun!

Yeah we had issues trying to contact them and getting no response. Then when members got a hold of them the response was "what should we do about it you fix it". This was involving a claim the member had turned over to the club.
    If we do our own thing it will most certainly only be a Kenai Peninsula thing. Since we all live here and our club is on the Kenai we do not have any reason to make it a statewide club at this point.