Thread: Baits in

Default Baits in

So (more to follow as I have been hammered with unpacking the house and getting things in order). However baits in 14 are in and did some scouting in 16 yesterday (ran a fresh set of blackie tracks up north but snow pushed us out (whiteout) was pretty surprised to see them moving in the 4+ft drifts but hey its been a odd winter. Our station in 14 is set and still have 1 more to set up with a buddy next week. No hits since the 15th (no surprise) but we did cut some tracks so we predict the first bear on the barrel should be in the next week or so. I will be keeping my blog updated once I finish getting the first round of boxes unpacked (1/2 way done) have more crap showing up Weds then I have to inspect all our stuff as we already have over 8k in damages so far (thank god for shipping insurance).

Hope everyone has a stellar season

-Ryan

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

What's with all the damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poor packing from the moving company... sadly one of my bigger black bears was pretty damaged in transit, computer desk arrived in pieces, lots of damage to furniture etc. luckily we should be reimbursed a good portion of the money.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Wow sorry to hear that, I've heard so many horror stories about movers up here, definitely will shape my move back down south!

Interesting you say that Limon32. I worked in the moving industry for 22 years, here in AK, and we set the standard. $8k in moving damages? I'd like to hear more. Was this a local move, a move that started and ended in AK, or a move that started elsewhere and came to AK? And if out of state, where did the move originate?
    Good luck NhraFox getting things in order.
    ARR

That is a real drag NhraFox. Hopefully your black bear can be repaired (most of the time damaged mounts can be). I recently repaired a bison pedestal from the Conservation Center in Turnagain. They had used it for a parade, then stored it in a barn where it got damp and filled with straw dust. Broken ears, horns broken off, cracked lips and nose, skin pulling apart from the form, a cantaloup sized hole in the back of the form in the brisket and a grapefruit sized hole where the hanger was (I guess because they decided to change it from a pedestal to a wall mount, and pedestal forms do not have any type of back board on them). I wish I had taken pictures of the before and after (except the orginal work was not mine and I didn't want people to think it was. LOL)

On another note - I hope everyone has a good time in the bear stands this year. Take videos! I love watching them , someday I will give baiting a try... Especially the ones of the bears climbing the tree the hunter is in. LMAO!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Move started in NC ended here. The moving company up here was very professional (AAA) however the original shipping company was piss poor at best (missing bow, firearms damaged and removed from their hard cases etc.) bear rugs just dumped into boxes and not properly packaged, computer desk was in pieces as well as most of our nicer furniture (legs snapped off dresses, only half our dining room table even arrived).

Holy wow.... That is just terrible. Sorry for the disaster you have to deal with.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Interesting you say that Limon32. I worked in the moving industry for 22 years, here in AK, and we set the standard. $8k in moving damages? I'd like to hear more. Was this a local move, a move that started and ended in AK, or a move that started elsewhere and came to AK? And if out of state, where did the move originate?
    Good luck NhraFox getting things in order.
    ARR
    Could be that lower 48 guys are giving you a bad rap but I don't see how the public can differentiate that OR that it matters, stuff has to get to you no matter how many times its handled.

My move up here was great, I had no issues, but I have several co-workers who's mounts "got lost", damaged furniture seems to be the norm and even damaged vehicles.

I'd still use a moving company, but I'm going to be careful about what I send with them.

It appears you know little about the moving industry Limon and are making blanket statements that have no merit. Your comments remind me of the neighbors that used to stop by on moving day to try and "one up" each other on their worst moves ever, never ever taking into account their own part in the "game". I could write for hours about all of the crap I had to deal w/ that frankly was not fit for anything more than a garbage truck.
    Whether military or civilian, there are options for you (customers) to handle, pack, transport, and deliver your own household items, and take the risk on yourself. If all movers are so bad, then I suggest you do that instead of making blanket statements that disparage professionals in this manner.
    I am proud to have worked as a professional mover for as long as I did, for an Alaskan owned company that has been in business for well over 60 years, and to have had the opportunity to help both our military and private sector move successfully.
    ARR

It appears you know little about the moving industry Limon and are making blanket statements that have no merit. Your comments remind me of the neighbors that used to stop by on moving day to try and "one up" each other on their worst moves ever, never ever taking into account their own part in the "game". I could write for hours about all of the crap I had to deal w/ that frankly was not fit for anything more than a garbage truck.
    Whether military or civilian, there are options for you (customers) to handle, pack, transport, and deliver your own household items, and take the risk on yourself. If all movers are so bad, then I suggest you do that instead of making blanket statements that disparage professionals in this manner.
    I am proud to have worked as a professional mover for as long as I did, for an Alaskan owned company that has been in business for well over 60 years, and to have had the opportunity to help both our military and private sector move successfully.
    ARR
    Your taking my comments way wrong, I simply said I would approach a move differently now, exactly what you suggest? You are correct that I know little about the industry, simply reporting what I've seen others go through. We have gotten so far off thread topic I'm going to stop now.

Agreed Limon. Sorry to get defensive, you just happened to find my "on" button. I tried to send a PM, your box was full. You take care, and we'll talk about more fun stuff.

Ryan, forgive me for getting off tangent. I hope your season proceeds smoothly. Let us know when you get your first hits. We also got bait out this past weekend, that was a real adventure. I've never skipped water pulling a 500lb sled.
    ARR

Agreed Limon. Sorry to get defensive, you just happened to find my "on" button. I tried to send a PM, your box was full. You take care, and we'll talk about more fun stuff.

Ryan, forgive me for getting off tangent. I hope your season proceeds smoothly. Let us know when you get your first hits. We also got bait out this past weekend, that was a real adventure. I've never skipped water pulling a 500lb sled.
    ARR
    No worries man, it's clear you take pride in your work, I can only hope I get your crew if I have to move again!

Figured I would post up with what we have seen in unit 14 (our appetizer unit for bear season). No hits as of today (4/30) have crossed 2 sets of tracks in the past week scouting and once riding out towards my station. I figure with another week or so of warm weather activity should be on the rise and things should start picking up.

I flew today, but could not see down through the trees to determine that anything was going on. Bummer. I was hoping to see black spots, no such luck.
    ARR

yah I will be out flying next week with a buddy to do some scouting as well

Whoop, found 2 bear from the air tonight. Very cool. First one, while maybe not a hog, is 6' or better. The second was just a little guy, maybe 4'. And a butt ton of moose. The bears are all pretty safe for now, they are a long ways from anybody.
    ARR

Went up yesterday to one of my stations. no hits yet I figure another week or 2 before we get the 1st hits on.. added quite a bit of smell to the area with some homebrew as well as Bait' em 907 smelly stuff. Will be setting stations this weekend in my PCA area so will give upper 16 weather/trail reports this weekend