Thread: Surface Drive Motor on Upper Skwentna

Default Surface Drive Motor on Upper Skwentna

I am getting mixed response on this. Some people say it is possible, others say it will not be possible at all.

Can I use a mudd motor, either a mud buddy or a go devil on a 18ft jon boat to go up and down upper skwentna above happy? A person who uses a jet motor there advised against using a jet motor cause of silt. Is mudd motor a possibility? Go devil has a picture of their motor on shallow gravel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You won't know for sure until you try it your self.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I wonder if go devil is willing to do a test drive there to show what their stuff can do.

You didn't buy land up there without seeing it did you?

A friend has a cabin there, lands in a cub. We're just thinking about getting a boat out there.

usually where there is a will there is a way. An air boat would do it even if it is just snow or wet grass.

Yeah, I know. Joe B has an airboat there I heard, and runs it over the rainy pass on a regular basis. LOL. I just wanted a more recreational boat than an airboat, and there is always fuel to consider, and they are pricey $$$

Default mud motor experience

based on my personal experience, a mud motor can push a boat through soupy muck even if there is almost no water,
    rock and gravel is very different, the boat needs to either float or be on step, the water must be deep enought to keep the propeller submerged to its minimum required depth. my mud motor propeller needed to be mostly sumberged to function maintain thrust.
    I can also tell you that three hours of grinding a mud motor prop across gravel and coarse sand will pretty much wear out the prop to the point of almost needing to be replaced. so in short:

soupy mud = no problem, hardley even need water
    gravel = deep enough to float boat, or stay on step, and submerge prop to required coverage, and wears out prop very quickly

Some guys have been taking outboard jets up to the whiskey bravo mine exploration program, which is a few miles about happy, I think about 5 miles. They told me one trip is enough in a boat, and they all fly in now.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Some guys have been taking outboard jets up to the whiskey bravo mine exploration program, which is a few miles about happy, I think about 5 miles. They told me one trip is enough in a boat, and they all fly in now.
    Did they complain about river or about jet? My guy complains about jet more than he complains about river.

Nothing about the skwentna is any harder on a jet than any other silty river, in low water it can be challenging to navigate past the tal until a few miles past the Hayes

An airboat is your easiest option, but it can be run in an inboard jet if you are on your game

They said it takes to long, I guessed they valued there time enough it was cheaper for them to fly in.

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    I am getting mixed response on this. Some people say it is possible, others say it will not be possible at all.

Can I use a mudd motor, either a mud buddy or a go devil on a 18ft jon boat to go up and down upper skwentna above happy? A person who uses a jet motor there advised against using a jet motor cause of silt. Is mudd motor a possibility? Go devil has a picture of their motor on shallow gravel.
    It is apparent that you have no knowledge of the upper Skwentna river and the boat that could take you there. Unless you want to sink a boat and get rescued or worse I would advice not to purse this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1980 View Post
    It is apparent that you have no knowledge of the upper Skwentna river and the boat that could take you there. Unless you want to sink a boat and get rescued or worse I would advice not to purse this.
    No offense, but I like Music Man's advice better.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    usually where there is a will there is a way.

And thank you everybody for your help. I can see that both jet and mud motor will make the run, its just the question of what motor will last longer.

I have a 35 hp Go Devil surface drive that I've been running for 6 years now and for my needs I wouldn't trade it for a jet any day. Simple to maintain, tough as nails and it takes me where jets can't. As long as my boat floats, it goes. But with everything, it just boils down to what best suits your needs. I have no experience running the upper Skwentna so I'm no help there. Best of luck in your travels.

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    No offense, but I like Music Man's advice better.

And thank you everybody for your help. I can see that both jet and mud motor will make the run, its just the question of what motor will last longer.

That is true, back in late 1800 a expedition pulled wooden boats from lower Susitna up over Portage pass, so anything is possible. But once again novice+surface drive+upper Skwentna = disaster. But some people have to learn the hard way.

I recently was searching for a shallow water motor but, being a typical Alaskan, didn't want to pay the prices I saw for a new one. I did a lot of research into mud motor kits and one company kept coming up as the one to get so I gave Backwater a call. I ended up getting a Swamp Lite Glider Kit in the 13-16 hp range. I bought a motor from AIH and put it on a 1542 Topper jon. The boat runs great and the motor is awesome. I have only had it in the Kenai, but have big plans this year for some of the shallow water up north. The kits are also available in V-Twin 13-23 hp models and this would be prefect for an 18' jon. Call Jake at Backwater and see what he can do for you. He is very knowledgable, extremely helpful and has a real passion for mud motors.