Thread: Muzzleloader sellers in Anchorage area

Default Muzzleloader sellers in Anchorage area

I'm going to be in the Anchorage area in the near future and am looking to buy a muzzleloader. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get to a gunshow or not, which would probably be the best bet for finding a good deal on a used rifle. I'm thinking Cabelas or Great Northern Guns. Any other ideas? I'm looking for a Traditional rifle and would prefer 54 caliber. Thanks.
    Louis Knapp

Check Sportsman's too. If you don't find what you're looking for, you can order them online without an FFL, of course.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Kinda depends on what kind of muzzleloader you want. If a somewhat generic percussion most of the larger gun stores have them. If you are looking for a generic firelock, (flintlock), there are few places that sell them.

If you are looking for something historically accurate you may have to go mail order.

I looked locally for a firelock for quite a-while in stores and classifieds before I found what I wanted on line.

Found some good deals on each of these sites. May have to be patient and wait 'till something that you like in your price range comes along.

Could get a kit if you are handy.

Watch out for where they are made. The popular opinion is stay away from the ones made in India.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/

http://www.gunbroker.com/

Thanks, folks for the replies. I checked Sportsmans here in Fairbanks and all they had was a 50cal Traditions Hawken type. The rest of their selection consisted of modern types (they did have some nice cap & ball handguns) I'm not necessarily looking for an exact historic replica, would be happy with a TC or Lyman Hawken semi replica....actually I'd love an exact replica but most of those are a bit out of my price range. I think flintlocks are cooler than more modern types , but thought as a beginner it might be best to start with the percussion....of course a couple hundred years ago or so everyone started out with a flintlock and they seem to have done okay. I thought about a kit. I wouldn't be afraid to take that on, but it's probably a little late, at the speed I get things done to get the kit and having any chance of shooting the thing before the snow flies again. I don't want to build a rifle quickly and have it look like it. Thanks for the links, hogfamily. Do you happen to know which brands are made in India? Like you say, I'll be patient and keep my eyes open...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

The Indian made guns are sold by several sellers. A least one seller does some gunsmithing on them to make them more reliable. The Indian guns have their followers as they are less expensive and tend to be more historically accurate that some other commercial guns. From what I have read about the Indian made guns is that they require some work and / or tweaking to get them reliable.

http://veteranarms.com/ReproductionM...-Arms-LLC.html

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com

Percussion maybe a little easier to start with but if you really prefer a flintlock start there. That way you can spend your money once.

I started many years ago with Percussion. I am finding I enjoy the firelocks more.

You will also need to decide if you want a musket or rifle.

An advantage of percussion is that you can use black powder substitutes. Only black powder should be in firelocks. BP can sometimes be difficult to find.

I don't if there is any black powder, (BP), clubs in Fairbanks. If there is I would go to one of their meetings or shoots. My experience with BP folks is that they are very willing to share their knowledge.

Check out this forum. There is a lot of good info there.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

Track of the Wolf
    and Dixie are great places to order all the accouterments that you will need. Both also sell BP guns.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com

http://www.dixiegun.com

Another place to look is the ads on traditional muzzleloader forum sites. Google will be your friend in finding them. The prices being asked will likely surprise you. Used TC's in excellent condition are going for around $350-$450, give or take a little. Lyman GPR's don't appear as often, but they range around that price too. You'll also see a fair number of customs for not much more than you'd pay for a new Lyman GPR. The good thing about those sites, they're kind of pre-sorted for traditional muzzleloaders, since the sites don't allow the inlines.

I've got a couple 50 and 54 cal traditional Thompson Center Hawken and Renegade models, in great shape, good wood and barrels are 1 in 48 twist, accurate shooters and $350 to $400 would buy them. In the Kenai area, messsage if interested, good luck

Default Muzzleloader sellers in Anchorage area

Houston High School is hosting a gun show April 25 & 26 at the Big Lake Recreation Center. McKinley Mountainmen Muzzleloading Rifle Club will have a set of tables there with both display and sale tables. They will likely have something there of interest.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg_Stomper View Post
    Houston High School is hosting a gun show April 25 & 26 at the Big Lake Recreation Center. McKinley Mountainmen Muzzleloading Rifle Club will have a set of tables there with both display and sale tables. They will likely have something there of interest.
    Recreation Center????

I thought it was at the Houston High School.

They've been calling it the "Houston High Gun & Outdoor Show".

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Houston High School is putting the show on at the Big Lake Lions Recreation Center because it is a larger venue than the gym at the school.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks.

I found it, after finding the High School was NOT the place.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks for the further advice on this thread. I just returned from Anchorage without having much luck finding a muzzleloader. I think I'm going to end up ordering something. I get the impression that traditional black powder rifles are a bit of a rarity on gun store shelves. I went to Bass Pro, Cabela's and Great Northern Guns. Bass Pro had none (just a 36 caliber kit) Cabela's had only one 50 caliber Hawken type, which surprised me considering their large catalog collection of Traditional rifles. GNG just had a 40 caliber used percussion Kentucky type....on a positive note, I did have a good excuse to go to Bass Pro, Cabela's and Great Northern Guns!

I did go by the Houston gun show on the way home. I talked to the Guys at the McKinley Mountainmen Muzzleloading Rifle Club table, which was quite enjoyable. They had some nice flintlock rifles on display which weren't for sale. They were selling a couple of smoothbore flintlock Brown Bess muskets. Really nice looking, but they were a bit out of my price range, and I don't hear of many smoothbores being used for hunting, although I'm sure it's done. The only other muzzleloader I saw for sale there was a 50 cal TC at a different table. The price was low but it had a bit more rust on it than I was comfortable with. Oh well. I came home empty handed but the search has been fun!
    Louis Knapp

You're pretty much right on about the smoothbores for an only muzzleloader. They have there uses, but also their limits in AK. I have some, but use them only as shotguns. Yet I know guys who use them exclusively, with shot for small game and ball for large.

Your positive attitude and outlook will stand you in good stead in the world of traditional muzzleloaders! Looking at what you CAN do with something and not spending all your time complaining about what you can't is the name of the game.

Best of luck on your search! A couple of vendors to watch are Track of the Wolf in the midwest and The Gun Works in Oregon. They move a lot of used muzzleloaders with accurate condition ratings and prices that are competitive. Individual sales at the muzzleloading forum sites and the auction sites can have lower prices, but the condition ratings are more subjective. At the auction sites they're downright crooked too often for my tastes.

Don't forget to check out Dixie Gun Works. http://www.dixiegun.com/ DGW sells a lot of muzzleloaders.

I order stuff from both Track of the Wolf and DGW to keep my muzzleloaders firing. I get real black powder from Keith Bayha who is a member of McKinley MountainMen Muzzleloading Rifle Club as well as President of the Alaska State Muzzleloading Association.

Thanks, once more! I looked at those websites. It's looking to me like ordering might be the way to go. I'd guess the ease of ordering muzzleloaders may have something to do with gun stores choosing not to occupy a lot of shelf space with them.

Now that you mention buying real black powder, I'm really kicking myself for not at least picking some of that up while I was down there!
    Louis Knapp

I have had good luck with the firelocks that I have purchased through http://www.gunsinternational.com/ and http://www.gunbroker.com/

I emailed the sellers with a lot of questions and requested specific photos of parts of the firelocks. Any seller that would not respond to my requests I did not do business with. Only purchased from sellers that would allow returns if I was not happy with the purchase.

Figure out what type of firelock you want. Smooth bore or rifle. Custom or Commercial. What time period interest you. Do a lot of research.

The rifles I purchased are used custom. I paid a lot less than comparable commercial rifles. One was hardly fired and I browned the barrel as it was unfinished. The other need some lock work. I knew it would, (it's an original Tower lock from about 1800). Even with the lock work it was not too expensive.

Decide on how serious you want to be about firelocks. Decide on what you are willing to spend and be patient.

A warning...firelocks are addictive...you can't have just one...and don't forget all the cool accouterments you will need. Hunting bags, powder horns, patch knife, period clothing &c...

Seems like most gun stores, Cabelas, etc, just sell the inline stuff these days. I originally ordered my .54 cal T/C Renegade from Dixie Gun Works way back when. It will shoot sabots, minie balls, and round balls equally well. Order one up and have fun. You can find T/C Renegades or the like on Gunbroker for good prices since most people shoot inlines (because they really aren't interested in shooting historical firearms, just getting entry into their state's muzzle loading season). I agree with hogfamily, if you want a flint lock, get one. I don't have one, but wish I did.

Others can chime in, but a with a cap lock, you can use black powder or the substitutes, whereas with a flint lock, you really need to use BP - which can be more difficult to find.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Others can chime in, but a with a cap lock, you can use black powder or the substitutes, whereas with a flint lock, you really need to use BP - which can be more difficult to find.
    There it is in a nutshell. I have and enjoy both cappers and flinters. Supplies of real black start dwindling and I shoot the cappers more. Feeling particularly colonial, I'll shoot the flinters more.

I have a TC 54 cal. Renegade that I've had for at least 25 years. I shot it a few months ago and was having problems with accuracy. At 25 yards I could almost shoot thru the same hole. At 50 I was all over the target. I believe it was Brownbear who suggested using a patch. I finally made it to the gun range last week. I couldn't believe the difference that made. I was using 110 grains of triple 7 and Hornady's great plains bullets and I also tried round balls. I was consistently 2" high and 3" to the left of the bulls eye. All five holes were close together(with 2 to 3"). I did have to drive the great plains bullets in with a 2 X 6. Then I tried the round balls with very similar results. I even hit the bulls eye twice the the round balls. For jollies I moved the target back to 100 yards and fired three times with the round balls. I hit the target 3 times but was about 10 inches away from the bulls eye all on the left side of the target. This was a great improvement over how the rifle used to shoot, all by adding a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    ...using a patch. ...I did have to drive the great plains bullets in with a 2 X 6.
    Gotta clarify that the patch (or lubed felt wad like I use) goes UNDER the Great Plains and not draped around it. Just a "flame gasket" or something on top of the powder, rather than wrapping the bullet. If you're patching that GP bullet like you do with a round ball, I can see it taking a 2x6 to get it down the bore.