Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas guide tents

Default Cabelas guide tents

I plan on picking one up for my caribou and moose hunting this fall. Do they ever go on sale? I've been watching for months hoping to catch a sale, am I wasting my time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I plan on picking one up for my caribou and moose hunting this fall....am I wasting my time?
    Yes.

Get a regular mountaineering tent. It will hold up to Alaska conditions. You might review our Tents Section and our Tent Reviews for advice on this topic. I don't know why this stuff is called "Guide Model", as none of the hunting guides I personally know would use it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Yes.

Get a regular mountaineering tent. It will hold up to Alaska conditions. You might review our Tents Section and our Tent Reviews for advice on this topic. I don't know why this stuff is called "Guide Model", as none of the hunting guides I personally know would use it.

-Mike
    Thanks Mike, when I asked about wasting my time I should have clarified, was I wasting my time waiting for a sale.

I'm satisfied the cabelas tent is of adequate quality for my intended use, I've got another tent for tougher work.

I'm still considering the arctic oven, I'd love to own one but I haven't justified it to myself yet, we'll see.

Thanks again for takin the time to reply!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Thanks Mike, when I asked about wasting my time I should have clarified, was I wasting my time waiting for a sale.

I'm satisfied the cabelas tent is of adequate quality for my intended use, I've got another tent for tougher work.

I'm still considering the arctic oven, I'd love to own one but I haven't justified it to myself yet, we'll see.

Thanks again for takin the time to reply!

Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time...
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

New in the box 8 man on ANC Craigslist
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Look at the cabelas XWT tent it works great

Yes.

-Mike
    I/we used to guide out of the 6 man all the time. It's a great tent. I had two different hunters tell me that they thought that tent saved their lives......lol.

I'd like to have one for myself as well.

And yes, limon.........I've seen them on sale before.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I took a trip with Deltana a few years ago they were using the 6-person Alaskan Guide tents which held up really well in pretty fierce wind and rain. I since got one of my own on sale, but only something like 10-15% off.

I have the Guide model 6 & its a GREAT tent.

We have used it on the North slope & on the peaks around the Steese when the wind was blowing almost 50 miles an hour. Heavy snow & terential rains.

I thought it was going to turn it inside out a couple times but ALWAYS held up .

Striker with Alaska Arctic Adventures has about a dozen of them & they hold up great for them every year.

You might find one in the Bargin cave in Cabelas .

I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

I ONLY use the Aluminum poles Not the Fiber glass ones.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

20 years on our 6 man tent, from prudhoe to kodiak an all over in between. Heavy rains to snow and wind. For the $ its a great tent. Only complaint is the only place to stand up is in the center but thats most dome tents anyway.
    I would buy another.
    Bk

While guiding for fall Brown Bear in
    Cold Bay it with stood a 338 thru the roof. I just reversed the fly the next night and the Bear didn't show no more. I had to run it off without killing it.
    Mighty good tent I must say.

I had one and really liked it. Especially the large vestibule. But with that said I sold it and bought an arctic oven and have zero regrets. The AO is SO much easier to set up. Less than 10min by myself compared to well over a half hr with 2 guys. I'm sure it gets easier as you set it up more though. My .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Thanks fellas, I was pretty set on the cabelas tent after watching a couple videos on YouTube of one being used on kodiak, pretty much layer half over but stayed up, broke a fiberglass pole but everything else in their camp was destroyed.

I'd love to have the AO but I haven't decided how bad I want to deny the savings account!

I've trusted one to protect my family on remote hunts. Mine has never failed. Buy the aluminum pole version only.

Cabelas had a sale that included these tents last year end of June or early July I want to say. I don't know if that will be an annual thing or not. I have had my 4 man for about 20 years and have had great luck even with the fiberglass poles. They are certainly heavier. I added the XWT for those times I want a bigger tent I can stand up in. That's assuming I can still stand up straight after lifting the thing. It is heavy.

Moral of the story is that the guide tent is a great Alaska tent. As with everything, it has its limitations too.

I have 13 Guide model tents and I always buy them when they go on sale which is about once per year. I like them although they are over 20 pounds and for Super Cub Fly outs that is a problem. I have also started adding Cabelas WartHogs 2 man tents for my hunters who are going out in Cubs and they look like the real deal @ 4.5 pounds.

Needles to say I am a big Cabelas guy because they stand behind their products and for my clients they demand them!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Drop Camps and Float Hunts-Unit 23
    www.northwestalaska.net
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    ... Buy the aluminum pole version only.
    That's excellent advice. Fiberglass poles will splinter and can break under heavy winds.

I love mine 13 years and counting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's excellent advice. Fiberglass poles will splinter and can break under heavy winds.
    Yes they can, and a couple were broken. BUT......they will give a lot before that happens, especially if you guy the tent properly. The aluminum poles are nice, but you know what happens once aluminum is bent........no trying to straighten it back up.....it's done. One big gust can do that. Hard to put a splint on aluminum, where it wasn't too much of a problem with the fiberglass. And I really don't know if the price difference is worth it or not.

One thing I learned pretty quick when it looked like gale force winds may be upon us, was to prop up a branch, small sapling, or even an old caribou shed up towards the height of the guy closer to the tent. Wrap the guy line around that first, THEN down to the ground. That way it supports that point at more of a 90 degree angle to the wind rather than the extreme angle from the guy on the tent all the way down to the ground. Makes a big difference. After I started guying off the tent this way we never broke anymore poles. Again, this is only necessary for when the big one is rolling through. The fiberglass poles are pretty darn strong against normal high winds.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Amen. Shattered two sets of the fiberglass poles in winds that didn't affect the aluminum poles on the dome tent next door. Should have replaced with aluminum after the first train wreck, but I'm slow to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast