Thread: Homer or Seward and Fresh or Salt??

Default Homer or Seward and Fresh or Salt??

I'm making my first trip to Alaska the first week in June. I'll be there for about 5 days and want to do some fishing. I'll be staying with a friend in Anchorage. From the research I've done I think my 2 options are halibut out of Seward or Homer and King's north of Anchorage in the river's.

I want to hire a guide and will possibly try to do both the halibut and king trip.

Halibut: Is there much of a difference between Seward and Homer when talking quality of fishing? If fishing will be equal, I would probably prefer Seward because it appears there are more things for my wife to do in Seward than Homer while I'm fishing. Any recommendations on guides or general insight?

Kings: I was told that I'm probably 1-2 weeks too early for the king salmon fishing to be really good, but while I'm there I want to try it. Any recommendations on guides? Most of the trips that I find are half days for around $150.

I sincerely appreciate any advise and would gladly return the favor if you ever happen to be in Texas and want to do some fishing!

-Rett

So the Seward or Homer issue gets rehashed every spring on this forum buy some nice, but unsuspecting first time visitor. This forum and Alaska in general has lots of people with their own opinion. I will try to start this off in as fair a way as possible

There is not much difference in the fishing, in that you are going to come home with fish, fishing out of either place. Yes there are details that make them different but in the end, you will have a great day on the water in either place.
    if you choose the right fishing guide. It is getting very late to be able to make a great choice in either area. Homer is a longer drive on the road system but you get to see more of Alaska. Seward is a small town, like you might imagine one to be in coastal Alaska. Homer is more spread out. Both have plenty for your wife to do. Fishing is very good in both places.
    You can catch halibut and Kings in both places at that time of year.
    I'll let others chime in with more details but either way, can are going to have a great time.

The king salmon fishery north of Anchorage (the Valley streams) has been on the ropes for several years now. It would be a waste of your time.

Your two best options out of Seward are with Crackerjack Charters and Saltwater Safaris. I've fished with both, and both are really good. Book now or you may not get a slot; they fill up fast.

In terms of comparisons, Seward sits at the end of a long fjord, so the scenery is nicer there. Plan on a two-hour run out to the best fishing areas, depending on the weather. You could fish two days out of there, or perhaps go on an overnight trip. Plenty of places to stay there, including some nice B&B places. Check our Directory for listings. The waterfront area is nice, and your wife might enjoy wandering around there. There is also an aquarium there; the Alaska Sea Life Center. She might enjoy that too.

Homer is a four-hour drive, so you have to factor that in to your plans. Still, with four days on your hands, you might consider a couple of days of fishing, and a water taxi ride out to Seldovia. It's a beautiful little town off the road system. Nice place to walk around and explore.

Hope it helps!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the reply guys. Looking forward to hearing other's chime in.

You mentioned catching king's in Seward or Homer. I spoke to one guide service that said that wasn't possible due to regulations for 2015 not allowing king's to be fished for in that general area...only up north in the rivers. Is that not true?

I would be interested in hearing other's opinions on the river king trip being a waste of time. One guide did tell me that the fishing had been off the last yr or 2 in the river's but overall it was still really good. Is that not accurate?

It depends on 'what' river it is...for how good the fishing would be, most Valley rivers are having problems with King returns. And I will add that IMO they should be closed entirely until they recover.
    "Grin and Bear It"

If it were me I would for go the river all together and do Homer over Seward. Seward is very nice and I do like fishing out of there but I do think the king fishing is better out of Homer and you can do combo for all species there. Michael suggested doing a taxi to Seldovia and I would agree. That is a great little town and a beautiful boat ride to see it.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

There will probably be only 1 river open for kings to the North of anchorage, maybe another and it will get EO'd for sure. The 1 river with kings will be combat boat fishing without question.

Spend your two days on the salt - either place will be a good time. I personally prefer the scenery out of seward a little bit better than homer, but if you want scenery go to Whittier (not much for the wife to do there).

Kings in freshwater throughout the whole area has been terrible. However saltwater kings out of homer, seward and whittier have been awesome. Combine that with a halibut trip. Google brooks Alaskan adventures in homer or Crazy Rays Charters out of whittier. If either of them have a seat left while you're up here I'd book a trip with either of them.

Andy:

Are there kings around during the latter 1/2 of July? Do charters catch them at this time, or just target halibut, rockfish and lings?

Cheers

Verdun

Quote Originally Posted by bayman099 View Post
    Andy:

Are there kings around during the latter 1/2 of July? Do charters catch them at this time, or just target halibut, rockfish and lings?

Cheers

Verdun
    Once the Silvers show up, Kings become more of an incidental catch. It's hard to get the bait through the silvers to target the Kings at that time of year. Especially this coming year with warm water temps I would expect to see early silver runs.

Both Homer and Seward are beautiful places with great fishing. Homer is quite a bit bigger of a town, offering more restaurants, lodging options etc. If you get to Homer and are looking for kings I'd try to get a day with Josh Brooks on the huntress, or Shane at driftwood charters. Those guys slay the kings, and halibut too. If river fishing was a priority, I'd use Bob Ball with piscatorial pursuits on the Kasilof. For another Seward option I like jdock charters, ask for Will Gentry. Good luck, oh yea and start calling yesterday, the good guys book quick.