Thread: Whittier Tunnel Shutting down early.....

Default Whittier Tunnel Shutting down early.....

Received an email from DOT....

(4/14/15)—The Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities is alerting the public that the Whittier Tunnel will close early on weekdays from April 20-April 30.

The tunnel is scheduled to close early on Monday, April 20, through Friday, April 24, and again the following week Tuesday, April 28, through Thursday, April 30. The tunnel will close at 9:15 p.m. and will open at 7 a.m. each day. This alternate schedule is necessary to allow the Alaska Railroad to make rail repairs inside the tunnel before the beginning of the summer passenger schedule.

The tunnel will open at 7 a.m. Friday, May 1, and move to the summer schedule that same day. We appreciate your patience while these rail repairs are under way. For more information on the Whittier Tunnel, including schedule and hours of operation, please visit tunnel.alaska.gov.

2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

of course the rail repairs could not have been done prior to the season starting... more great planning in place right there...

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    of course the rail repairs could not have been done prior to the season starting... more great planning in place right there...
    Really, this is before most of the "season" gets going. Except for some going after shrimp and maybe some bear hunters (depending on the recently reduced hunting options), the typical start of the boating season isn't really until Memorial Day. Yes, a number of people start before that, but not most. They are probably trying to squeeze this work in between winter weather and summer traffic. It's also probably not the only project they are working on. It doesn't look like they are reducing the hours all that much anyway, so pretty easy to work around.

As i was reading the OP i new the first person to reply was going to complain.

Im sure theres many reasons for their timing, cant we all just be happy?

They have to fix the tracks at some point, might as well be now. Its really only one or two cycles off each day during the week, they did it last fall as well to fix something else. Not a huge deal just wanted to make sure people knew so they did not get caught doing a late night shrimp run or getting back from bear hunting.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I was not complaining, I was pointing out the obvious..

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I was not complaining, I was pointing out the obvious..
    The obvious would also be the fact that on a normal year there is about 8 feet of snowpack on the ground at both ends of the tunnel. Pretty tough to start on any kind of construction work until now or later into the summer. I think they do a pretty **** good job of trying to accommodate us. Now if they would just accidently run a grader across the parking lot for us since the owners of that property are too **** cheap to do so...

Thank You for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Received an email from DOT....

(4/14/15)—The Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities is alerting the public that the Whittier Tunnel will close early on weekdays from April 20-April 30.

The tunnel is scheduled to close early on Monday, April 20, through Friday, April 24, and again the following week Tuesday, April 28, through Thursday, April 30. The tunnel will close at 9:15 p.m. and will open at 7 a.m. each day. This alternate schedule is necessary to allow the Alaska Railroad to make rail repairs inside the tunnel before the beginning of the summer passenger schedule.

The tunnel will open at 7 a.m. Friday, May 1, and move to the summer schedule that same day. We appreciate your patience while these rail repairs are under way. For more information on the Whittier Tunnel, including schedule and hours of operation, please visit tunnel.alaska.gov.

Thanks for the post JR2 !!
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's