Thread: 375 ruger guide gun reloading recommendations

Default 375 ruger guide gun reloading recommendations

Just purchased a 375 Ruger Guide gun that I plan on using in Alaska for brown bear and moose trip looking for recommendations on bullet make,weight and possible loads. I have been looking at the Barnes 270 gr and 300 gr TSX bullets.Is the 300 gr bullet to heavy for making a possible longer distant shot. I am going to reload so I am open to any suggestions.

I chose the Barnes 250 gr TTSX as my all around bullet for my 375 Ruger. I have the 23" barrel and get 2890 fps with r-17. With a .424 bc and zeroed at 2.5" high at 100 yards, I get a +/- 3" out to 282 yards which more than covers 90% of my hunting situations here in Alaska. I've taken moose, caribou, and black bear so far with one shot results and wouldn't hesitate to use this setup on a brown bear.

Quote Originally Posted by FootedShaft View Post
    and wouldn't hesitate to use this setup on a brown bear.
    Ya think...???!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I too am just starting to do some searching for load info for this cartridge. Loving my new Guid Gun, but so far have just shot it with 270 Hornadys.
    I've been considering the 250 Barnes or 260 Accubond. Trying to get an idea what powder to start with for the shorter barrel. Need to see what's on my shelf....
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

270 TSX should do the trick . . . .

Killed my Moose this past season with a 300 grain Nosler Accubond. 400 yard shot, moose dropped in its tracks and full pass thru, did not recover the bullet. I have the African which has the longer barrel, so I get more velocity, but either should work just fine. Just remember, the heavier bullets, although they don't shoot as flat, retain more energy at longer distances, up to the point they just drop off.
    RE15 or RE17 should work great with either of those bullet weights.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

The 270gr TSX and 260gr Accubond would be a great choice for moose and brown bear.

I don't have a chronograph but I collected all the load data I could on 375 Ruger handloads and come up with this.
    It's based on being shot from a Ruger 77 African 23"bbl. Its an estimated ballpark velocity chart. But I've confirmed most of the data with other members on other forums that have used a chronograph. Now every rifle is different and nothing is writen in stone so you can give or take 20fps. And for every inch of barrel that's not 23" subtract or add 25fps. per inch. And about 30fps per grain of powder.

Using H4350
    300gr. 79.5grs. 2610fps
    285gr. 81.5grs. 2680fps
    270gr. 82.5grs. 2730fps
    260gr. 82.5grs. 2785fps
    250gr. 82.5grs. 2790fps

Using RL-17
    300gr. 81.5grs. 2730fps
    285gr. 82.5grs. 2765fps
    270gr. 83.5grs. 2800fps
    260gr. 84grs. 2875fps

270g TSX, new brass, RL 15 to sammi spec at a near max load according to Barnes reloading manual. Shoots MOA in two Ruger Alaskans at about 2680 fps from a 20" barrel. Nothing that walks on the planet will survive being shot with that load. RL 17 should improve velocity some, but there is scant load data for the TSX.

I shoot the 250 ttsx to improve my point blank range and reduce recoil a bit. It goes about 2750 FPS. I use one more grain of RL15 than with the 270g TSX.

I played with RL17 and the 250g TTSX and had good results around 83g, but I did not have my chrony to see if all the increased work was worth it. I will change to RL17 if I can get velocities in the 2800 fps range.

Did some load testing in the 375 Ruger Guide Gun yesterday. The 2 loads that I have worked up is 78.5grs. of RE17 behind 300gr. Nosler Accubond using WLRM primer and OAL was 3.385" this load produced a 3-shot 1/2" group at 100yds. The other load is 73.0grs. of RE17 behind a Woodleigh 350gr. PP. OAL was the same and produce an 1" group at 100yds.

Here's a table I compiled from various forums last fall plus here in this thread. There may be more updated data out there.

Let's keep this thread going. It seems like the 375 Ruger is becoming more and more popular.

Well, none of the formats for my table will upload. I've tried jpg, png, tiff, doc. If anyone has a method of taking info from an Excel table to upload, I'll be happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
    Well, none of the formats for my table will upload. I've tried jpg, png, tiff, doc. If anyone has a method of taking info from an Excel table to upload, I'll be happy to share.
    I'm looking to start reloading for the .375 ruger and am soaking this info up like a sponge!

See if your computer has the "snipping tool." Have the excel sheet open, then open the snipping tool. Click and drag over the area you want to post, then save as a .png, .jpeg etc...

The other way is to hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard, then open Paint and "paste". Crop the part you want and save as a picture.

I'm sure there's an easier way...

Update on velocities on the 2 loads that I developed mentioned earlier on this thread.
    300gr. Accubond load is averaging 2590fps.
    Woodleigh 350gr. PP load is averaging 2391fps.
    This is out of my 20" 375 Ruger Guide Gun.

I have had my .375 H&H for over 50 years. Most of the time I used the old style 270gr. Nosler partitions. If you will notice, the great bear hunters here in Alaska also used a 270 grain bullet. Hal Waugh and P&T all mentioned using that weight bullet. That being said, when I had my gun in Africa, it seems that everyone there also had one. They seemed to think that the only bullet to use was the 300 grainer. The one thing that I would advise is to develop loads using a temperature insensitive powder such as the Hogdon Extreme powders. That way, no matter where you travel to, you do not have to change loads. Since I only have a handful of those old Nosler's left, I think that I'll try the 260 gr. Accubond's. The .375 in almost any configuration is so versatile, that it is "good to go" for all big game here. It does less meat damage on deer than a .270 and with a proper shot placement makes the big stuff go DRT.
    JMHOFWIW
    Craig

Nanook I can tell you that the partition 260gr bullets need to be seated deeper because of the bullet style. A lot of guys are using Barnes TSX 270gr. With good results.

I was dumb enough to let a dentist buy my .375 H&H years ago. Can you find 375 Ruger ammo over the counter in Alaska or is it pretty much a handloading deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
    I was dumb enough to let a dentist buy my .375 H&H years ago. Can you find 375 Ruger ammo over the counter in Alaska or is it pretty much a handloading deal?
    Seems to me if you check a few places in bigger towns you'll find something for it. I don't think its as easy to come by as H&H still. Handloading makes both of those guns really come alive, there are so many options, I have 4 good loads for my H&H just because. Its also into the realm of really good cost savings to reload for these, like 50% cheaper, even better if you catch good sales.

Reloader 15 with 260gr Accubond
    Alaska