Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger Guide Rifle what power scope

Default 375 Ruger Guide Rifle what power scope

Just purchased a 375 Ruger Guide rifle and plan on using it in Alaska for a brown bear and moose hunt. I am not sure what scope to purchase.Two have caught my interest the Leupold VX6 1x6x24mm CDS illuminated reticle/fire dot duplex and VX6 2x12x42mm CDS illuminated reticle/ fire dot duplex.I know the1x6 has a much wider FOV for up close dangerous shots but I like the 2x12 with the CDS where you can stretch the shot out.Looking for Alaskan hunters that can give personal imput

Of the two that caught your eye, I would choose the 1-6X24MM

I am a huge fan of QR scope rings. And suggest having TWO scopes (One as back-up) with QR rings when going on a serious hunt.

Alaskan living in KY waiting to retire and get back home

I'm a huge fan of Zeiss Scopes and recently purchased the Victory 3-12X56 HT #2030mm with Reticle 20 and can't say enough about how happy I am with it. I guarantee you would be happy with it and if you are serious about hunting the best optics you can buy are will be the best spend you can make.

I have the VX III 1.5-5 with the German #4 reticle with quick release mounts on my 375 H&H. I could not be happier. I love that reticle. Target acquisition is fast. I have harvested animals out to 300 yards with this setup and never felt like I needed more magnification except when I am punching paper. It can shoot 1" groups off the bench if I do my part. Just another option.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Have the same gun, put a VX-3 2x8x36mm on mine.

I have the same rifle with a 23 inch barrel and no break. I spent a lot of time thinking about this. I wanted something that was as quick as open sights but precise enough for 400 yards and in. I finally found a burris 1-4 30mm that had a reticle tidy enough to be sure of where you are aiming. Since then I have discovered a few things. the true one power is incredible when I get the "your being watched" feeling. Another would be that the 375 ruger has the ability to be a ballistic monster, best saved for another discussion, but it made me realize that 4 power, no matter how small the reticle can not be placed sure enough for the easy range the caliber and gun can reach. I had a hard time at 280 yards placing a sure head shot on a blacktail. I would not hesitate to go with the higher powered option and as alg said get some qd rings. if you use a 1" scope your factory rings can become qd by using something like the back side of your knife, 30mm go with warne.

My wife bought me the Alaskan Guide Gun in 375 as an anniversary gift a little over a week ago. I'm poor so I put a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x 35mm on it & couldn't be happier. It will get QR rings soon. Enough magnification for 300yds +, but enough field of view on 2x for up close & personal. In a real bad situation I can pull the scope & use the irons. Gun is a shooter with Hornady 270s.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Forums sponsor Cameraland has a deal right now on Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42. It's on for $599 down from $899.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/z...st_hd5_2-10x42

Jealous of your problem!! While I don't have a 375 ruger, I am partial to lower power scopes. Numbers wise that 375 IS a monster.

Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32mm on my 375H&H Ruger #1. It has survived boats, ATV's, mud, rain...pretty much everything you could throw at it with zero problems.

I too chose the VX-3 1.75-6 x 32mm and love it. Never felt like I needed more, but if a little more is desired the VX-3 2-8 x 36mm is a great pick as well...

Quote Originally Posted by FootedShaft View Post
    I too chose the VX-3 1.75-6 x 32mm
    Yup, great all-around scope IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FootedShaft View Post
    I too chose the VX-3 1.75-6 x 32mm and love it. Never felt like I needed more, but if a little more is desired the VX-3 2-8 x 36mm is a great pick as well...
    Have same scope on my Browning 375h&h. Love it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I put this on my 375 H & H: Leupold VX6 1x6x24mm CDS illuminated reticle/fire dot duplex
    Very pleased.

Ditto: I have a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 on my .416 Ruger and love it!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher57 View Post
    Ditto: I have a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 on my .416 Ruger and love it!
    That's what I put on my .375, never tried shooting at 300 yards, but who shoots bears and moose at that distance anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the original 375 Ruger Alaskan, I put on warne QD rings and the Leupold VX-R 1-4, its verynice. I would go with the 2-7 VX-R if I had it to do again.

I put my Weaver 2-10x onto my Guide Gun last fall for caribou. I prefer to keep it on 2x then adjust to aim, but I don't think I ever wanted to adjust for the shot at about 70 yds. Field of view, in my opinion, is more important than having more than 6x or 10x power. It's not like we need to see the individual hairs on the animal. If I can't put the cross hairs in the boiler room at 6x, I've got no business in trying to put a bullet there. I think I've only ever used max power on a scope to try to find holes in paper. The Leupold VX6 1x6x24 will be my scope when I can afford it. Though I suppose for an expert marksman, a higher power (12x) option may be a good idea. Lord knows the 375 could do it's job from a long ways out if put in the right place.

Another vote for the VX3 2.5-8x36. It's my moose gun for Northern BC.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Another vote for the VX3 2.5-8x36. It's my moose gun for Northern BC.

Is that the factory Hogue stock?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast