Thread: Selecting a travel trailer

Default Selecting a travel trailer

I am going to be buying a travel trailer here in the next couple of weeks. But I keep flip flopping on a new toy hauler or a 2 place trailer and a travel trailer. I haven't really looked at buying used because this is my first trailer and wouldn't know what to lookout for. Any pros and cons about which trailer setup to go with. Really the only 2 I can think of is that 1) toy hauler is a big chunk of change which slightly lowers the distance and amount of time THIS summer to be out and 2) really only a couple of times a year and places we would take the wheelers.

Any advice I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.

You are thinking about what use you would make of it. Good. Other issues are do you want an island bed accessible from both sides or a crawl-over with only one side open. How tall are you? When you go to do dishes or cook does your forehead hit the cabinet? If everyone sits down, is there room to move fore and aft? If there is a slide, can you get into it without a head or toe bang? A trailer ought to be about comfortable living and for Alaska ought to deal well with moderate freezing temps to effectively double the season. Bumper pull toy haulers are pretty spartan. If you only need the wheelers a couple of times, make two trips and live in better comfort.

Look at tow vehicle capacity. Should be a primary consideration. As a rule about 75% of vehicle capacity full loaded trailer makes for a good combo. As you approach vehicle GWR, safety and peace of mind start to get stretched.

When looking at toy haulers....they are not all the same, regardless of what the sales guy says or the brochure. Empty weight may not be even close to what the book says. Measure the inside width and length. Make sure you know what you are going to be stuffing inside.

I have a Raptor 30FS (Bumper pull)and it is a great setup. It's about 35' long. It tows great fully loaded, nose heavy when there is nothing in the garage. On the Scale with truck and 2 Harleys loaded, full water, gear, food, clothes, 400 pounds of pups, 3 adults and 60 gallons of fuel I crossed the Cat scales in the lower 48 at over 23k total. I do have a topper on the truck. Just to give you an idea of what you maybe getting into.

Thanks for the response, we do have a Ram 3500 Diesel so towing is not a problem. The tow hauler has pretty much everything to enjoy our time out. Just can't really decide. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgh!

Either way since this is your first go with the trailer I would say that you should go used . The price that you will pay for new for a learning curve is spendy. You will find that there will be things that you want a little different than what you have . Most of the time if you don't pay a lot more that it is worth then you will be able to get most of your money back. Good Luck

I was in this same situation last year. I went with the travel trailer since we only ride and camp a few times out of the year. Those couple times my wife pulls the toys and I pull the trailer. I would hate to pull a huge hauler at some of the camping spots we camp at during fishing season.