Thread: Pot Escape Hatch Thread

Default Pot Escape Hatch Thread

Is this legal? The thread is around the escape hatch/door and the hog ring holds it in place to the main pot frame. I bought these used and wanted to be sure I was OK.

If that is 30 count thread. But not sure what specifically the regulations say for a rigid pot. You could not hog ring the ends of your cotton thread on a mesh pot. It is semantics but it all comes down to the Trooper writing the ticket. I would skip the hog ring and just tie a knot to be safe according to the letter of the law.

Revive the "Ask a Trooper" Forum

Thanks...I've been checked several times for my permit and catch but they never have had me pull my pots to be inspected. These are Potbuilder pots...but since I bought them 2nd hand, they could have been altered. He'll probably chime in.

I don't think its one of mine, need to see the whole pot, rigid or folding, might be one of my early models, but i do it in a similar way with a hog ring . I had the head enforcement guy(Al Cain) at F&G in anchorage look at my pots(more than once) and he never said a word about my escapes or anything else about my gear. I believe he retired a year or two ago. Hog ring holds the ends of the twine on the wire leg BELOW the opening, cotton is single loop around the leg of wire on the escape door, cotton rots and escape door falls away to fully open pot escape hatch cut out in body of pot. Its no different than if it was knotted still only 1 loop on wire.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

They are folding units and have your yellow data plates with biz name/email address on them. No matter either way, they work fine and have made me and many of my neighbors happy campers. Sounds like I'm good on the string thing. Only thing I changed was adding a zip tie across the entrances as there were lots of fish and crab getting in. Thanks, G.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    They are folding units and have your yellow data plates with biz name/email address on them. No matter either way, they work fine and have made me and many of my neighbors happy campers. Sounds like I'm good on the string thing. Only thing I changed was adding a zip tie across the entrances as there were lots of fish and crab getting in. Thanks, G.
    ok then they are my earlier ones. If you need the cotton replaced just bring them out and i'll take care of it. I can also change the tunnels to the new style with the double hoops for a reasonable cost but the zip ties do the same thing for free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'm confused are these crab or shrimp pots? Dungeness rigid collapsible pots can have loops of cotton holding an entire side closed so that the whole side of the pot will open when they deteriorate, instead of having a side of the pot laced shut with cotton.

Those pictured in post 6 are folding shrimp pots and Steve was illustrating a couple ways to keep crab and fish out that I mentioned in #5. The escape hatch is only about 4" x 4" and located on the side and tied on with thread...not visible in the pictures. Shrimp can still come and go through the tunnels at will so I really don't get why they are required in the regs...but I don't make the rules.