Thread: Any boat builders here?

Default Any boat builders here?

Well I'm working my boat to get it ready to put UHMW on it as some might have read in the other thread. I'd like to get my bottom flattend out the best I can to mate the two together. It's .125 thick. I was thinking a air hammer with a 3" square foot. A hammer or sledge just isn't doing the job. Any suggestions? I know some metals once they take a shape they never get back. Now it doesn't have to be perfect but just a little more of the big stuff out of it.

Thanks,

GS

Id suggest getting a book on automotive body work. Depending on the size and shape of the dents, you do run the risk of causing the metal to crack when you hammer it back in place.

If it's really beat, you're likely better off cutting out the offending area and replacing it with new.

Default boat builders

There are a few boat builders lurking around here. However, you might discover that most of us consider aluminum to be a totally inferior material....

True, aluminum boats transfer the cold right through them, and are noisy. But you don't hav to paint them, and for a beat the heck out of it boat, it does have it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierShaker View Post
    Well I'm working my boat to get it ready to put UHMW on it as some might have read in the other thread. I'd like to get my bottom flattend out the best I can to mate the two together. It's .125 thick. I was thinking a air hammer with a 3" square foot. A hammer or sledge just isn't doing the job. Any suggestions? I know some metals once they take a shape they never get back. Now it doesn't have to be perfect but just a little more of the big stuff out of it.

Thanks,

GS
    I've got a 13# deadblow that you can borrow... I've beat many a 1/4" bottom back to true with it. I've also had good luck at thicknesses up to 5/16" with a rented 90 jackhammer and a tip with a forged mushroom on the end... You can borrow the bit if you want as well... but I think with a bottom as thin as your dealing with a half hour with the deadblow ought to do you just fine and then you don't have to rent a high volumn air compressor and jackhammer. Give me a call if you want to use it. (By the way, I'm no fan of uhmw, but if you want to see some examples of how "not" to do it, I'd be happy to let you look over a couple of our boats, they are both bolted on through the bottom)
    250-1235 here in anchorage... Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    There are a few boat builders lurking around here. However, you might discover that most of us consider aluminum to be a totally inferior material....
    Well of course wood boats have the most class, but they are more maintenance intensive. Steel is a great material, just keep it painted.

Then there's the 'snot' boats, which are good if your looking for cheap, easy to manufacture hull. Unfortunately they become nasty waterlogged yard sculptures, mostly unusable, never really returning to the earth.

Default I hate to show my ignorance in public... but...

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    I've got a 13# deadblow that you can borrow... I've beat many a 1/4" bottom back to true with it. I've also had good luck at thicknesses up to 5/16" with a rented 90 jackhammer and a tip with a forged mushroom on the end... You can borrow the bit if you want as well... but I think with a bottom as thin as your dealing with a half hour with the deadblow ought to do you just fine and then you don't have to rent a high volumn air compressor and jackhammer. Give me a call if you want to use it. (By the way, I'm no fan of uhmw, but if you want to see some examples of how "not" to do it, I'd be happy to let you look over a couple of our boats, they are both bolted on through the bottom)
    250-1235 here in anchorage... Chris
    Lesson number one I learned (besides "dont hit the rocks in the first place" of course) Get the boat off the trailer and on solid ground before you waste even the smallest amount of effort trying to pound them things out!... Sand or grassy lawns seem to work best, on pavement or concrete you'll need some dunnage to place just on either side of (or fore and aft of) the dent your working out. Yup..I was that guy thinking I could swing harder than those trailer tires could absorb the blow... and if it's not working, you can try swinging faster to catch the boat on the rebound, but my timing never was that great!

Default Don't feel bad...

Chris -

Took me about an hour of wailing away on first dent to figure that out too! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who put in a lot of sweat to figure that out.

Curt