Thread: Help for August!

Default Help for August!

I'm shepherding a group of a half-dozen newbies in an RV out of Anchorage 3rd week of August. Headed south towards Seward, and looking for some stream fishing for salmon that won't be too technical or demanding to give them a taste. Can be any species including pinks or chums, and will be catch and release. I need ideas for places where a clunky RV can be parked not too far from the fishing. Doesn't have to be red-hot fishing, but it would be good if we can get shots at a few fish. I have only done enough of this type of fishing to know that I don't know very much, and am looking for suggestions. Thinking about Hope for starters, but could go just about anywhere. Any/all suggestions are much appreciated.

Deep Creek or Anchor River. Float eggs under a bobber and have some fun.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you are going to fish silvers in the lower rivers might as well keep them. They have a rediculously high catch and release mortality rate.

Try Eagle Rock on the Kenai for Pinks. Can be non stop. Between Soldotna and Kenai. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    Try Eagle Rock on the Kenai for Pinks. Can be non stop. Between Soldotna and Kenai. Good luck.
    Probably won't catch many, if any pinks on kenai this year, it's an odd year, the pinks were in last year
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at Deep Creek and Anchor River. Any other thoughts would be appreciated too.

About pinks: I've heard and read different things about the difference between odd year/even year runs. How much does the run vary? Is it 90/10 between even years and odd years? 75/25? Is it different for different streams, or different drainages?

3rd week August? try snagging silvers off beach in Seward. Russian will still be full of reds, just most will be punky. Any of the campgrounds in the Soldotna area will have reds and silvers.