Thread: What's your preferred brand of ball-bearing swivels for saltwater use?

Default What's your preferred brand of ball-bearing swivels for saltwater use?

So I'm getting my gear ready for this summers trip to Ketchikan, replacing various terminal tackle and the like. Got to thinking about the swivels I use, as trolling methods up there can result in very twisty line.

Anyone have a 'swear by' ball bearing swivel that you use exclusively when you're trolling for salmon?

Sampo is the best I've found. But you might have to re-mortgage the house if you plan to buy more than one.....

Sampo. Hands-down.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I used Sampo for over 30 years, but got kinda chapped at their prices. So I tried Owner. Not a huge savings, but enough to make me want to spread the market around. Been using them for about 4 years now, and they're excellent.

Sampo's if I don't freak out over the price.

I've more and more gone to the spro swivels and the 5 bead chains for my salmon trolling to reduce twist versus the ball bearing types. First I can never find the right size sampo swivels...typically the ones I see are HUGE. Two the price, even though I know its worth it, is unsettling.

P-Line is my preferred. I see no appreciable difference from Sampo. http://p-line.com/tackle/swivels/ball-bearing-swivel

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have used AFW mighty mini snap swivels and I love them. lots cheaper and tough as nails http://www.afwhiseas.com/AFW-Mighty-...kle-s/1840.htm you can get them on Ebay for a heck of a lot less than some of the big brands

I have so many in my box I am not sure which are best. I do keep them separated somewhat by price. I give my good friends the cheap ones! I have been getting the Pline swivels of late and had no probs so far with them.

I stocked up on some of the 5 bead chain swivels this year. Hopefully they'll be a viable alternative to Sampo. Quality on the bead chains used to be abysmal, but some of the better brands are now making their own version.

Thanks guys, kinda figured Sampo would be the #1 call. I don't buy them very often, and as y'all have alluded to, I go into sticker shock on every purchase of them.

Roscoe makes a good quality American made swivel. I use quite a few of them.
    They make good split rings as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I have used AFW mighty mini snap swivels and I love them. lots cheaper and tough as nails http://www.afwhiseas.com/AFW-Mighty-...kle-s/1840.htm you can get them on Ebay for a heck of a lot less than some of the big brands
    Hmm these look like a quality swivel AND less expensive! Anyone rlse have any experience with AFW swivels?

Their ball bearing models really aren't all that cheaper than anyone else. But good. Their standards are at least as good as other bulk sources such as Cabelas or Bass Pro, and as cheap to buy.

Cabelas Premium Ball Bearing Swivels...as good as any and a better price. If you are using one to connect directly to a lure, I vastly prefer the coast loc over any snap swivel or other design---I've had the others break lose on a big fish but never a coast loc.

I've had good luck with the BB swivels sold by Cape May Tackle quality product not expensive & 50 cents (Yes you read that right) shipping.

They have some great skirts as well.

I'm liking the Owners.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I'm liking the Owners.
    Oh yeah.

Didn't say it earlier, but I'll tag it onto your post:

The real test of swivels comes when using plugcut herring, especially while mooching or at low trolling speeds. Any resistance in a swivel at all, and those suckers just won't spin, or spin too slowly. Whole-rigged herring aren't far behind. Standard swivels mostly won't cut it. Ball bearings are better, but only testing will show you which are best. Owner is right there on the list of best brands.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The real test of swivels comes when using plugcut herring, especially while mooching or at low trolling speeds.
    Yeah, these are the applications I had in mind. Have found that a flasher & hootchie doesn't really require a ball bearing, partly cause I'm using heavier leaders that tends not to twist in the first place.

Last summer I lost some big kings when my flourocarbon leaders broke for no apparent reason. Was trolling cut plug herring, and I suspect that the ball bearing swivels I was using weren't good enough to keep out all the line twist. Get a kink in flourocarbon & it snaps.