Thread: recommendation for clear coat UV inhibitor finish

Default recommendation for clear coat UV inhibitor finish

Any specific product or mixture that you recommend to keep color of natural wood (indoors) that will resist the fading/yellowing with UV exposure? Thank you.

I think that what you want is an exterior spar varnish, such as Varathane. The primary difference between exterior and interior polyurethanes is that the exterior ones have UV protection (and are a bit more expensive)

If you really want skookum UV protection you should get the varnishes that cedar strip boat builders use, but they are expensive and I think they are all high gloss. For most interior applications and exterior varnish is plenty good, and you can get them in any degree of glossiness.

The dilemma of UV degradation is the reason that furniture makers, even if they are using high quality wood, tend to stain their furniture. Watco walnut stain isn't really designed to make pine look like walnut. It's a UV stable stain that is designed to make walnut look like walnut. That way if the UV light starts to wash out the natural pigment, your UV stable pigment from the stain remains, and you won't be able to tell that the natural pigment fades. Or so goes the theory. I use Watco stain on almost all my projects, but I can't tell you that I have personal experience to tell you that it makes a difference. I trust that it does, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Dan. Both my land neighbor and I plan to use light colored wood for insides and would like to keep it looking that way.

Columbia Paint (Sherwin Williams) carries a fairly clear uv protectant made by Messmers. http://www.messmers.com/
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thank you 4merguide- I appreciate it.

The more clear a finish is, the less effective it is on UV protection. It's that simple. If you are worried about the finish itself yellowing, go with a water-based finish. They go on clear and resist yellowing far better than an oil based finish. I have wood windows that are unstained on the inside with a water-based clear coat on them. Probably 10 years now and the finish is still clear. The wood has darkened some but not as much as I expected.

Around the same time period, I coated some wood beadboard paneling with an oil-based finish that was called "clear" but had an amber tint to it. That paneling has darken considerably and has a more yellow tone to it. Still like it, just went on and aged different than the water-based stuff.

NRick: Good to know- that is why I posted question here...I knew y'all would help me out! Much appreciated.

Sikkens Cetol is really great stuff....easy to apply and clean up. SBS and I think Home Depot have it.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Sikkens Cetol is really great stuff....easy to apply and clean up. SBS and I think Home Depot have it.
    Thanks- I am not familiar with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Thanks- I am not familiar with that one.
    That's the same stuff I use on the teak on my boat.

If your goal is to not get any fading/yellowing as you stated avoid any alkyd/oil based finishes. If you like what you have or are going to put up use a water based polyurethane. Benjamin Moore makes a product called "Stays Clear", goes on milky white dries clear and comes in a Low Lustre or High Gloss finish (interior only). If you want more UV protection or are just one of those guys that want to take it one step further you may consider Diamond Varathene. It is an exterior water based polyurethane with added UV protection, it is available in Satin, Semi-Gloss and Gloss. It would be just about bullet proof on an interior application if you applied a couple coats.

Thanks again guys. Will figure out which one to use on my buddies cabin we built in the fall and then on mine next year.