Thread: 1895G Shooting low

Default 1895G Shooting low

I bought an 1895G in .45-70 a few years ago and had shot it like once. I decided to fix that the other day. Well after not being able to hit anything, I moved the target in to 25yrds, where it was shooting about a foot low with the rear sight as high as it would go. I tried the HSM bear load, the Hornady lever stuff and some Federal Fusion. All more or less a foot low. So I'm guessing the front sight on it is wrong. Either that or something is wrong with the gun, but I don't know what would cause that. It is a pre-Remington Marlin.
    Has anyone had this problem with these guns? It's the standard sights that come with it. I was thinking about putting something else on, but I wanted to see if it was the sights or the gun before I spend anything on it. Do they make multiple heights of the front blade for these, and if so does anyone in Anchorage carry them?

I put the XS ghost sight system on my Marlin. Made all the difference in the world. Still that rifle is not the most
    accurate thing you will own but is good for 100 yards in.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...000037_d_10906
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Marlin makes three different heights of rear blades as well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

So it's probably just the sights? I just think it's weird that this gun has been around for a good amount of time and the previous owner wouldn't have noticed.

He probably did notice. He just "forgot" to mention that when you bought it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    He probably did notice. He just "forgot" to mention that when you bought it.
    Isn't it amazing how often that happens?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Maybe his mother in law sat on it and bent the barrel.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I don't see how the barrel could be bent. That would take a ton of force and you'd think it would be pretty noticeable when you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    I don't see how the barrel could be bent. That would take a ton of force and you'd think it would be pretty noticeable when you look at it.
    To funnie...went rite over his head....

Raise the rear sight or lower the front sight for elevation correction. Best solution is a peep/receiver sight from XS or Skinner sights. I like the Skinner rear and XS front with the flat post and white line going up the middle. I have both and I believe they are an improvement over the factory iron sights that come on most rifles. Rear sight is easy to install and I did my own front sight with a brass punch, brass hammer, a small file and a little grease on it to help when I put it in. I'm sure you can call them with your barrel length and get a front sight height recommendation.

My semi customized Marlin 1895 45-70 is one of my most carried rifles as the flat receiver and no scope make carrying it muzzle down on my off shoulder a breeze. The 1.5" Montana Sling is the best sling for the 1895, so please check it out on their web site, you will like it!

So it's probably just the sights? I just think it's weird that this gun has been around for a good amount of time and the previous owner wouldn't have noticed.
    Likely why he sold it is he did notice but didn't want to or know how to fix it.

This is what I'd put on it.
    http://www.skinnersights.com/tactical_sights_14.html
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Happens ALL the time with lever actions, a horse/wheeler/or sled landing on it will bent it every time! But 99% of the time they are bent sideways not up or down.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Happens ALL the time with lever actions, a horse/wheeler/or sled landing on it will bent it every time! But 99% of the time they are bent sideways not up or down.
    Just cut the barrel off before the bend and put the same sight back on just south of where you bobbed it. Then get out your skill saw and cut the stock off just south of the lever. You now have a mares leg and the fact that it won't shoot for sour owl dung can't be considered cuz none of them do. There fixed!

Really, you need a taller back sight or a shorter front sight or both. Hang in there cuz once you get it shooting to point of aim your gonna like it.

Had it happen on mine. I bought it used, was a 2001 1895g and shot terribly low with the sights maxed out. I bought a skinner peep and a shorter firesight front blade and it was a tack driver.