Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver gunsmith

Default Revolver gunsmith

I have a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk on the way in 41 magnum. It is the first of a collection that I want to create of the four big Bisleys; 357, 41, 44 and 45 Colt. My plan is to have them shortened to 5.5 inches and have patridge style front sights installed, creating the Bisley Ruger should have made. I can do some of the other work I want done like the locking Belt Mountain base pins but I am looking for an Alaska gunsmith who could do the barrel and sight work. I know Dave Clements or Hamilton Bowen offer that work but I like to keep as much work in Alaska as possible. Any thoughts or recommendations. WWG is not an option. Thanks in advance.

You can get 5.5" Bisley 45 Colt and 44spec as a Ruger Distributer Exclusive.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...DE/models.html

44spec midsized frame

45 Colt with or without 45 acp cylinder two grip options. Fullsize frame capable of the Ruger Only 45 Colt loads.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I have a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk on the way in 41 magnum. It is the first of a collection that I want to create of the four big Bisleys; 357, 41, 44 and 45 Colt. My plan is to have them shortened to 5.5 inches and have patridge style front sights installed, creating the Bisley Ruger should have made.
    One more thing... why stop there?! Might as well get a 480 on a mid frame and 475 and 500 Linebaughs while your at it! Maybe make them both Longs if you can find a couple donor 357 maxes. Oh... and a Linebaugh built 5 shot 45 Colt! with one of his Brass Bisley grip frames ....25 grand outa be a good start!

whoa, I just noticed this is my 5000th post. I think I've seen too much time on the internet!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I intend to get the Flat top 44 Special. I am aware of the Ruger offerings but am not interested in the stainless Bisleys. I have a stainless Redhawk 4" 45 but that's the only stainless gun I want. In my world, Bisleys need to be blued steel.

I do plan to have Linebaugh put together a 5.5 inch 500 for me some day to finish out the collection. Right now I'm working on getting the two rarest of the Bisleys. The 357 and 41. I have the 41 coming and am looking for a 357.

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I intend to get the Flat top 44 Special. I am aware of the Ruger offerings but am not interested in the stainless Bisleys. I have a stainless Redhawk 4" 45 but that's the only stainless gun I want. In my world, Bisleys need to be blued steel.

I do plan to have Linebaugh put together a 5.5 inch 500 for me some day to finish out the collection. Right now I'm working on getting the two rarest of the Bisleys. The 357 and 41. I have the 41 coming and am looking for a 357.

Cool! I got the "itch for a fifty" a few years back. After much consternation and through a series of events I settled on the 500L and sent this off to John Gallagher almost 3 years ago. I'm hoping to see it anytime. 5.5 inches of .512 Octagon. Donor gun is a 50th Anniversary 44mag New Model Flat Top.

Perry I'm starting to think them down south boys get quicker service.Seems like lots of the hunting handgun folks are getting a year turn around and some less.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Perry I'm starting to think them down south boys get quicker service.Seems like lots of the hunting handgun folks are getting a year turn around and some less.
    It seems that Linebaugh (John and Dustin), Gallagher, Clements, Harton guns take longer. I've talked with JG and he has run into some things over the past couple years. I've also talked with other guys who's projects took some time as well. I will say I am getting a little antsie now though!

Any word from Gallagher, Perry?

If memory serves, Perry shipped his project to JG roughly mid-2012, about 6 months before I shipped mine to JL. JL quoted "about 2 years", and took about 6 months longer than that... I'd be seriously running out of patience with JG by now. Can't help but wonder how often guys with known names, lots of money, and safes full of revolvers cut in line ahead of the rest of us who are waiting for our first and only (once in a lifetime) custom revolver.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Did you tell him your name is Iofthetaiga and you've got over 5k posts in at the AOD forums?

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Did you tell him your name is Iofthetaiga and you've got over 5k posts in at the AOD forums?
    No, Mike, I did not. I was quite polite and respectful of him. On more than one occassion JL sounded quite harried, and I was concerned for his health. On the occasion he lamented there were "several guys standing on his neck to get their guns finished", I got the distinct impression they weren't guys like me....because guys like me, who only commission such a gun once in a lifetime, do not "stand on the neck" of a gentleman such as John Linebaugh. But, as I said, I wonder how often guys like that cut in line ahead of guys like me.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Sounds crappy. The standing on his neck thing makes it seem like it's less than enjoyable for him. I'd want to believe that when you work yourself up to the top of your trade you get to enjoy it.

I've heard some words that the the Ruger 480SBH may be getting real close.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It appears I'll have to send my 41 out to be shortened. I'm not hearing of anyone in Alaska to do it. How about someone to open up a 45 Colt cylinder throat or do an action job? I'd like to keep as much work in Alaska as possible but not having any luck with finding revolver smiths.

I think they left.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I've heard some words that the the Ruger 480SBH may be getting real close.
    Wouldn't that be cool?

I always thought that when Ruger came out with the 480 Ruger they should have done a double - rifle and pistol, but the rifle being a beefed up version of the 44 Mag Deerhunter semi-auto. That would be a nice pair.

You might check with Andy Hawk.

Mart, et al,

You might consider using the services of Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision. He has customized a couple of pistols for me. I have had work done to a couple of pistols and it has really been a pleasure doing business with him. Timely work and excellent service.

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Mart, et al,

You might consider using the services of Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision. He has customized a couple of pistols for me. I have had work done to a couple of pistols and it has really been a pleasure doing business with him. Timely work and excellent service.

IceKing02
    Jim Stroh is retired. I would contact Jack Huntington of JRH Advanced Gunsmithing at (775) 355-6898. His work is fantastic, his prices are reasonable, and he will build you a full custom in around 6 months time. Here are a few of mine (.500 Max top, .45 Colt middle, .500 JRH bottom):

Thanks Whit. I've seen some of your fine guns on the Single Action forum. I'll give Jack a call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast