Thread: yamaha command link systems….advice

Default yamaha command link systems….advice

Does anyone have the command link / fly by wire control system for the yamaha outboards? Is it worth the extra money? I am finishing by boat build so I have a clean slate. I am thinking of buying the command link plus system. The only advantages I can see is the rpm’s are adjustable for trolling speeds and a clean dash with only the one digital gauge needed.

I have the command link with electronic controls. I really like how smooth the controls are. I am running three gauges. One for each motor tac and engine info. And one for speed and fuel. I have the round gauges. Yup I was supposed to get square ones with more info. So I am not sure what all I am missing out on. :-)
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm set up the same as DMan, except I have square gauges. Pretty slick!!

Rub it in! :-) I had to install separate fuel gauges because my round ones wouldn't do it. Would have been nice to have it all integrated.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

What motors are you putting on the boat? The Command Link Plus digital controls are only available on some motors, some are still mechanical. The command link gauges (square) like the other are talking about are available for any EFI motor after about 2005.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I have twin 250s, dual stations and a Command Link Plus (rectangular full display)

Wouldn't any other way. Fly by wire is much smoother than cables with dual stations. CLP gauge adds is a nice stand alone way to monitor fuel usage, speed and engine monitoring.

Im buying the I4 200 yamaha's. Im going the mechanical route with 4 square command link gauges. As much as i want the command link plus its not worth 5000 to me. Remember i already purchased all this stuff once already.......... Proud glacier crap owner. Although there is a light at the end of the tunnel......... Maybe fall if I can get materials here soon!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Im buying the I4 200 yamaha's. Im going the mechanical route with 4 square command link gauges. As much as i want the command link plus its not worth 5000 to me. Remember i already purchased all this stuff once already.......... Proud glacier crap owner. Although there is a light at the end of the tunnel......... Maybe fall if I can get materials here soon!
    Just got done doing the same thing, new I4 200's, but went with the cables instead of the CL+, actually got talked out of it by my dealer. apparently Yammy was or are having issues in real cold weather, have you guys that have the CL+ had any issues operating in the cold?

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Just got done doing the same thing, new I4 200's, but went with the cables instead of the CL+, actually got talked out of it by my dealer. apparently Yammy was or are having issues in real cold weather, have you guys that have the CL+ had any issues operating in the cold?
    I have Mechanical F200s, but the throttle bodies are still electronically controlled. Basically the electric control is located under the cowling instead of within the controls at the helm, therefore I would be shocked that our hybrid controlled motors wouldn't have the same issues in the cold, if there is such a thing. The mechanical controlled motors, are just a less expensive retrofit motor, or for us double paying GC guys.

Not Alaska cold, but not at 25 degrees... We cruised for a week between Christmas and New Years in the San Juan's.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rmkak View Post
    I have Mechanical F200s, but the throttle bodies are still electronically controlled. Basically the electric control is located under the cowling instead of within the controls at the helm, therefore I would be shocked that our hybrid controlled motors wouldn't have the same issues in the cold, if there is such a thing. The mechanical controlled motors, are just a less expensive retrofit motor, or for us double paying GC guys.
    YUP, I cheaped out and and went mechanical mostly due to cost, and also cause the dealer talked me out of the wireless, no complaints, other than i did have to replace all my cables, which they apparently needed to be. Probobly not a good winter for real cold weather testing, but am still curious about the cold issue. Have buddies with Zuk's and fly by wire that have had zero issues even in the teens.