Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First failed spot and stalk of the year

Default First failed spot and stalk of the year

Went out this morning and found a nice big pretty black bear. Grabbed my stuff and laced up my boots and took off after it. Sometimes im my own worst enemy. Still wonder why I keep telling myself its so fun. These mountains around here are BIG. Needless to say I did have a great time. I just couldn't close the gap fast enough. The bears are out and about and ready to challenge us. I know what I will be doing for the near future. Good luck to everyone.

Sounds like you had fun, always good to be "in-the'hunt".........

My experience is if the bear is moving......just watch it. If the wind is right "AND" if there is a large clearing it will likely approach as it travels, maybe take a chance and head there, but the wind or breeze must be right.

We, in the Hope, Alaska area are having our second deepest snow-fall today for winter of 2014/2015

Yep. Watched him milling around on the mountain side for a while and decided he was content for a while. The wind wasn't bad but its never great approaching from the bottom up. I got in to a little of that snow myself while I was in route. Looked pretty nasty from where I was. There was a lot of feed on the mountain side not visible until your walking in it. I guess early springs do have some benefits. It would have been a shame to end my fun so soon. Hopefully it was just a warm up for what is to come. Any bear sittings around the Hope area to speak of yet?

[QUOTE=elkarcher;1474000. I guess early springs do have some benefits. It would have been a shame to end my fun so soon. /QUOTE]

Why would it "end your fun so soon"? Are you limiting yourself to only one bear this year?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yes sir. Its all I need for myself and family. If I get too carried away I will have to buy a bigger house. I guess there is always the chance to go with other people for the fun of it though. Im still pretty new up here and have yet to get my first bear. Its taking me a while to figure out the ins and outs as far as where to go. I would be thrilled with just one bear.

I would suggest you keep going back to that spot for about a week. So far the only bears that I have seen were in March. Zilch this month.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

AGL said it. Keep going back to that exact spot. You've obviously found a spot that holds bears- that's better than most this time of year.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Why would it "end your fun so soon"? Are you limiting yourself to only one bear this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by elkarcher View Post
    Yes sir. Its all I need for myself and family.
    While one bear would be excellent, two would make even more bacon. And ask yourself, can a man and his family ever have too much bacon? After all, you don't have to rug every bear you take.

Seriously though, black bears make excellent burger, bacon, sausage, etc.

You had to bring bacon into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    While one bear would be excellent, two would make even more bacon. And ask yourself, can a man and his family ever have too much bacon? After all, you don't have to rug every bear you take.

Seriously though, black bears make excellent burger, bacon, sausage, etc.
    Oh, sacrilege Brian. Shoulder mounts then - they are cheaper.

elkarcher - I am amazed you saw a blackie this early. Like others have said. Go back to that area. Obviously a good one!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Oh, sacrilege Brian. Shoulder mounts then - they are cheaper.
    Says the taxidermist, of course.

I can't imagine that even a taxidermist mounts every animal she takes, does she?? Don't get me wrong - a nice furred bear rug is nice, but not having the funds or the wall space for another isn't going to stop me from filling the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by elkarcher View Post
    Yes sir. Its all I need for myself and family. If I get too carried away I will have to buy a bigger house..
    Just another freezer should suffice.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    AGL said it. Keep going back to that exact spot. You've obviously found a spot that holds bears- that's better than most this time of year.
    I blew a stalk on a blackie once trying to get too close. Came back the very next day and killed it....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Says the taxidermist, of course.

I can't imagine that even a taxidermist mounts every animal she takes, does she??
    LOL! Nope! But the artist in me wants to. That is all.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    LOL! Nope! But the artist in me wants to. That is all.
    And perhaps the capitalist in the OP could come to an arrangement with the artist to keep one in plentiful meat and the other in plentiful plews.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    And perhaps the capitalist in the OP could come to an arrangement with the artist to keep one in plentiful meat and the other in plentiful plews.
    True! I heard recently, that a neighbor had gone bear hunting some years ago in PWS. He shot a very nice bear but didn't have the money to do anything with the hide, so threw it away. I can't imagine EVER throwing away a PWS bear that had a good hide. I totally agree the meat should always be salvaged (even after the cut off date in June - most black bear that I've ever eaten has been very palatable).
    Taxidermy IS art!

Perhaps others can chime in on this.
    But I've had several "blown stalks" on blackies and went back to my look out only to turn around and see them in the same place I left them. Now whenever I have a "blown stalk" I back off a couple hundred yards and sit. Five minutes and they are back out, seven minutes and they are usually dead.
    Imagine your hunting a house cat...just plain screwy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

JuliW - Honest question. For those of us that can't afford to have a rug or shoulder mount made of something we have taken, what are other options for the cape rather than leaving it in the field? Can we sell them? Is there some sort of pro-bono cause they can be donated to?

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakZach View Post
    JuliW - Honest question. For those of us that can't afford to have a rug or shoulder mount made of something we have taken, what are other options for the cape rather than leaving it in the field? Can we sell them? Is there some sort of pro-bono cause they can be donated to?
    Black bear hides, raw, salted, or tanned can be sold. As can skulls.That is a regulation that has changed in recent years..used to be illegal to sell them or the skull. Make sure to read regulations. I believe they all must be sealed before selling.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ing.blackbrown
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakZach View Post
    For a very modest price you can just have them tanned and hang them on a wall or throw them over the back of a couch or chair. Or even on the floor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast