Thread: Polly Creek this weekend. Anyone launching from the Kenai River?

Default Polly Creek this weekend. Anyone launching from the Kenai River?

Some of the ramp floats will be installed by this weekend. Anyone thinking about making the trip? I'm headed over both Sat and Sun if the weather cooperates. Would be nice to travel with another boat for safety.

Weather did not look very good for ocean travel this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    Some of the ramp floats will be installed by this weekend. Anyone thinking about making the trip? I'm headed over both Sat and Sun if the weather cooperates. Would be nice to travel with another boat for safety.
    Have to agree with polardds on this one. Have you done the Kenai to Polly trip before? I haven't, but might be game on future good tides contingent on better weather.

At the time I started the post they were calling for 3 footers. Oh well, next month! I have made this trip from the mouth of the Kenai once before, last year. I'll probably just launch from Deep Creek once the tractors are running. Although the launch fee in Kenai is $0... Hmmmm

I grew up commercial fishing in that area and made the trip many many times in 14' and 18' skiffs. Swing way south and stay away from the bar that runs from the south end of Kaligan as that bar gets shallow and NASTY if the tide is ripping. There is a channel you can cut through at low tide if the water is calm but I always swing way south and stay away from the bar these days.

I can run from the Kenai dock to the flats in about an hour and a half if the seas are 3' or less. I would be game for a trip but I am stuck on the slope working this week.

Thanks for putting up that info, avidflyer. This kenai launch thread spiked my interest as my trailer side guides are a little sparse for the tractor launch and I've seen how badly that can play out. I run a 20' Harvey. If any of you guys put something together in the future, pm me if you wouldn't mind a tag along boat or have an open seat. Also, I was wondering if there are any safe anchorages around Kalgin if a guy wanted to do a couple tides and/or an overnighter?

There is safe Anchorage on kalgin depending on the wind direction. The north end is good on anything but north wind. Old man's bay can be good too but it can get shallow in close
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but with the current forecast heading to poly creek this weekend is a fool's errand.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/