Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My project in the works!

Default My project in the works!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=478088841#PIC

Soon to become a 358 Winchester!

I told my wife to blame it Sayak! She said "I don't even know him". "Me either but I like the way he thinks!"

What's the worst that can happen you're over 2,000 miles away.

Looks like you'll get there before me. My concern about MY .308 was that the barrel was a little too diminutive for a .358 bore. That is why I was second guessing myself with a .338 Fed.
    Jess should be able to tell you if it is possible. He does a good job.
    I can tell you, that RA in .358 Win is gonna kick like a mule! My Sav. 99 re-bore does, and it is a bit heavier than the RA. Great bore though. I love this chambering more every time I take it to the range. Can't wait to kill something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Looks like you'll get there before me. My concern about MY .308 was that the barrel was a little too diminutive for a .358 bore. That is why I was second guessing myself with a .338 Fed.
    Jess should be able to tell you if it is possible. He does a good job.
    I can tell you, that RA in .358 Win is gonna kick like a mule! My Sav. 99 re-bore does, and it is a bit heavier than the RA. Great bore though. I love this chambering more every time I take it to the range. Can't wait to kill something with it.
    I have had Jess rebore buggy whip barrels to 358 before and he did so without hesitation. He once did a 358 off a Ruger 77 ultra light with a 20 inch barrel for me. That little gun with it's straight stock had a pretty good bite. This one could be worse.

There you go! Get a nice cushy LimbSaver and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

Good choice in calibers, of course! Dunno about the rifle, but looking forward to your reports.

As for the weight and recoil, that stock looks plenty straight, so it should be liveable, even if you end up shooting more 200's than 250's. I mounted a scope on my 99 for a while, and the extra weight certainly helped tame it. But I hated the feel of a scoped 99 and removed it. Mine came right from the factory with a recoil pad when I bought it way back when, but pretty hard and ineffective. A Limbsaver would help a lot, but I just haven't got around to the swap after all these years.

EKC why not just have them make a nice 21 or 22 in barrel for it with a good set of open sights installed and tapped for a scope? I think the companies that used to produce bolt guns in 358W caliber missed the boat by not offering them with open sights from the factory....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think the companies that used to produce bolt guns in 358W caliber missed the boat by not offering them with open sights from the factory....
    Other than Savage, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Other than Savage, right?
    True. There may be other bolt guns as well. But it should be noted, as much as the .358 Win is painted as a "brush round", it really is not limited to 100yd or less work. Chuckhawks did an interesting piece comparing the .358 Win with the 45.70:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win_mystery.htm

BTW. Winchester offered a M70 in .358 which had irons.

I agree its def not limited to being a Brush Gun, but it sure can pull its weight as double duty so seemed silly to not offer more options with sights for the caliber...
    I never saw the savage - which model was it BrownBear?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I agree its def not limited to being a Brush Gun, but it sure can pull its weight as double duty so seemed silly to not offer more options with sights for the caliber...
    I've never seen a 99 that didn't come equipped with iron sights from the factory.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've never seen a 99 that didn't come equipped with iron sights from the factory.
    Nope, none. 88s and BLRs in .358 wore irons also. I think Brownbear meant some Savage bolt guns had irons.

Savage 99. It's the only 358 they've made (actually at least two runs) that I know of.

My Winchester 88 in 358 also has sights. Their Mod 100 had sights, though I've never owned one. All the BLR 358's I've seen also had sights.

I turned my RA in .308 into a brush gun by putting on a XS scope mount peep and epoxying on an Enfield #4 front sight. I can pull off my scope with QDs and have a 75 yd brush gun lickety split; put the scope back on and go back to my 300yd rifle.

I turned my RA in .308 into a brush gun by putting on a XS scope mount peep and epoxying on an Enfield #4 front sight. I can pull off my scope with QDs and have a 75 yd brush gun lickety split; put the scope back on and go back to my 300yd rifle.
    What kind of epoxy did you use? Id like to add sights to a mossberg 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't epoxy on just any sight. The Enfield No.4 is a barrel band sight. All I had to do was just ream it out a bit with emory cloth. I simply used a super thin layer of JB Weld, but I've heard that certain Devcons are better. Making sure the sight was exactly in line was the hard part!
    For my Mossberg 500 I just used a magnetic sight.

I wouldn't epoxy on just any sight. The Enfield No.4 is a barrel band sight. All I had to do was just ream it out a bit with emory cloth. I simply used a super thin layer of JB Weld, but I've heard that certain Devcons are better. Making sure the sight was exactly in line was the hard part!
    For my Mossberg 500 I just used a magnetic sight.
    That magnetic stay on ok with magnum loads?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    That magnetic stay on ok with magnum loads?

Ha ha! No, good point. It was a 20ga. But it might.

Ha ha! No, good point. It was a 20ga. But it might.
    I may have to try one, can't seem to find a better option! Heck maybe I put a little JB weld under a magnetic one, at least there is lots of bearing surface!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I may have to try one, can't seem to find a better option! Heck maybe I put a little JB weld under a magnetic one, at least there is lots of bearing surface!

I have a Stevens model 67 pump 20 ga that has been killing white tail deer for a dozen years. It has a set of take off muzzleloader sights that are rock solid. I installed these sights with Brownells Accra Glass in the late 90's . I loan this gun to someone every season and it spends more time loaned out than it does in my cabinet. It has been rode hard and put away wet yet the sights remain intact.

I know of a fella in southern Iowa that has scope on a 8x57 98 mauser. The bases on that gun are also being held in place by nothing but Brownell's Accura Glass. I remember my reaction when he said he was going to glue the scope bases on that gun. I've been eating crow ever since.

I have a Ruger in .358 win and a Tikka in .338 Fed and like the Fed best. Carries better, shoots better and I think it kills just as good.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast