Thread: A New Kind of Hip Boot?

Default A New Kind of Hip Boot?

These have probably been around a while, but a friend sent the link to me today. Any of you ever use THESE hip boots?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

use what? I don't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    use what? I don't see anything.
    Click the word "THESE" to go to the link.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

One of the biggest issues I have is what to wear to keep my feet and legs dry when your crossing a river many times a day while hiking for miles. (Typically hiking up or down a river). I HATE wearing waders all day because they have zero support and are heavy, don't breath and if walking over rocks all day, the bottom of my feet get bruised by the end of the day. I love the lightweight style packable waders like the Wiggies but if you have to cross a river more then a few times a day, it becomes a pain to put them on and take them off all the time. I've found the best solution was to cut the bottom foot pad out of the bottom of an older pair of Wiggies that the bottom wore out of anyway, wear a good pair of waterproof boots and just duck tape around the bottom of the Wiggies around your boot. I get the comfort of my regular boots and don't have to put them on and keep taking them off all day but I'm perfectly dry at the end of the day.

I just haven't found a good replacement for the old Marathon Hip Boots.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    One of the biggest issues I have is what to wear to keep my feet and legs dry when your crossing a river many times a day while hiking for miles. (Typically hiking up or down a river). I HATE wearing waders all day because they have zero support and are heavy, don't breath and if walking over rocks all day, the bottom of my feet get bruised by the end of the day. I love the lightweight style packable waders like the Wiggies but if you have to cross a river more then a few times a day, it becomes a pain to put them on and take them off all the time. I've found the best solution was to cut the bottom foot pad out of the bottom of an older pair of Wiggies that the bottom wore out of anyway, wear a good pair of waterproof boots and just duck tape around the bottom of the Wiggies around your boot. I get the comfort of my regular boots and don't have to put them on and keep taking them off all day but I'm perfectly dry at the end of the day.
    You get the same thing with a pair of rain pants, duct taped to your boots.

I have pair of these. Used them little bit. Seem to work well enough with wading boots. Have not tried w/ regular hiking boots or walked long distances.

Yes Gary, good point, any type of waterproof pants work great.

They look like the Cabelas Tundra Hip Boot. I the Tundra's and love them. Too bad they discontinued them.

The uppers material looks pretty thin - wonder how well they hold up to bushwacking?

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I just haven't found a good replacement for the old Marathon Hip Boots.
    Those were some great hip boots. I used them on many of my hunts in AK. Really liked the sole configuration.

Guess we are getting old if we remember those good ol' Marathons!!!