Thread: UPS truck crash & BURN Destroys hunters trophy skins !!!!

Default UPS truck crash & BURN Destroys hunters trophy skins !!!!

A good friend of mine that is a full time taxidermist called & told me that he sent over 30 skin to the tannery to be tanned & after they were finished they were sent back to him on UPS.

Well a couple days ago he was informed that THAT truck carrying his skins Crashed & caught fire DESTROYING his customer skins !!!

Over 20 bears, a couple of Sheep lifesize skins & several Misc capes, all gone.

Then he was told that because the load was NOT Insured as Perishable with a Huge Value , he would only receive his Payment for the shipping & $ 100. back.

Now he has to Explain Why his customers will never get their animals back & he is Hiring a Lawyer because he is going to get sued by a few of them !!!

I Am SOOOOO Glad that My Customer Skins do not get sent out to tanneries. We have our own at Both of my studios.

Along with tanneries sending the wrong skins back now the trucking companies are screwing us too.

This guy has had his own taxidermy studio for as long as I have & Now he is talking about Folding up shop & working for someone else.

That's why he called Me.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

You guys aren't insured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually the Only insurance that Any taxidermist has is Home Owners Insurance. ( Most Smaller Taxidermy shops Have NO insurance at all )

Basic Home owners insurance WILL NOT cover your Business items.

In My case I had to insure my Homes & Shops as Business because Part ofthe Business Is attatched to my home.

This is the ONLY way my insurance would insure any of my personal Or customer items.

PLUS, because My Business can at one time or another have items totaling over 1 Million dollars in Value at one time, I have to set up Special Coverage Every time I get Large safaris & or Super irreplaceable item in my studios or they could reject the coverage if something happened.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermist

Tanned skins are not perishable. I would sue ups for far more than the value if the skins.

Yes they consider TANNED skins Perishable be cause they can be damaged by water, Smoke & in some cases too long in transit such as WET TANNED skins.

He has already talked to a lawyer about suing UPS & was told that UPS has A long list of reasons that they do NOT have to pay for damage, ESPECIALY when there was not an Adequate amount put on the box Before Shipping it.

He was also told that since the Tannery is the one that arranged shipping for his business that the claim would ONLY be payable to that tannery.

Then he has to go to them & get refunded .

The tannery is not giving him any issues Except that he did not ASK for a Larger Dollar value before they shipped it out.

What a Nightmare.

I told him that if he does fold up he atleast has a job with me if he needs it anytime.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy

I hate to say it. But after working for FedEx for 24 years your friend doesn't have a leg to stand on. 1st you are correct. The shipper is the one that has to make the claim and gets the check. 2nd, the fine print clearly states $100 liability per shipment. 3rd furs are considered an item of intrinsic value much like a painting or jewelery. Meaning they won't insure them above $500 even if they are worth millions. Most shippers that often ship these items have them insured for travel as part of their own business insurance.

Unfortunately I've seen this many times and he will lose his battle. Another example we saw often is sending a box of frozen halibut home that they caught up here on vacation. FedEx would offer to reimburse the shipping of course. And IF insured would pay fair market value to replace the meat. Fair enough? Not in the mind of many. They would file claims listing the cost of their entire family vacation as the value of the fishes meat. They would claim store or cannery caught fish couldn't replace their fish from a once in a lifetime trip. It's very true it sure puts a cloud over the memories of a wonderful vacation. But a box a replacement fish fresh from the local cannery would be the same value and quality as what was lost. Not once did anyone ever win on those claims.

Now don't get me wrong. I feel for your friend. That's horrible. And will most likely cost him his business. Yet another lesson learned the hard way. I wish him the best with landing on his feet. Just thought I'd offer a view from the other side since I've spent much of my life in the business.

I know Exactly what your saying.

15 years ago, I sent a Antelope Skull mount on a plaque through UPS to a guy in California.

When it arrived the box was smashed like they threw it off the top of the truck.

When I filed the claim, they said that the Whole box of Bubble wrap & plywood reinforcing was not adequate to prevent damage
    ( NOT WHEN YOU RUN IT OVER WITH THE TRUCK ),
    So I received my shipping , but because I made a Pretty bad stink about it with managers & Their bosses, I recieved nothing else. Not even the Minimum $100. ( I have to admit yes I was a LITTLE Angree )

RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Usually the Only insurance that Any taxidermist has is Home Owners Insurance. ( Most Smaller Taxidermy shops Have NO insurance at all )

Basic Home owners insurance WILL NOT cover your Business items.

In My case I had to insure my Homes & Shops as Business because Part ofthe Business Is attatched to my home.

This is the ONLY way my insurance would insure any of my personal Or customer items.

PLUS, because My Business can at one time or another have items totaling over 1 Million dollars in Value at one time, I have to set up Special Coverage Every time I get Large safaris & or Super irreplaceable item in my studios or they could reject the coverage if something happened.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermist
    Goo info, thanks for taking the time to reply. One more thing to add to the list when interviewing a taxidermist.

Sorry my first post was so short, I should have started with condolences to your friend, I hate seeing someone who's actually working for a living get the short end of the stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Problem limon.

Unfortunately every year a taxidermist goes out of business because of a Fire or Flood, Or a FREEZER GOES OUT, in their shop.

The biggest problem is UNDERSTANDING Exactly what is covered By your insurance, whether it is shipping insurance or Business Insurance.

My insurance Underwriter almost flipped out when I told them what kinds of animals & how valuable the skins & horn are to replace.

That's why I have to Maintain a Floating Value for my studios. Last summer it was 1.5 Million coverage & right now its at $500,000. coverage .due to what is in the shops at what time.

The Other problem with Insurance is like was said, If you have a claim, ALL you can get back is Replacement Value for what was lost & some times that is ALOT less than the hunter actually spent.

I have done several Insurance appraisals for damage & loss, ( NOT FOR MY COMPANY ) & the clients are agass at their $90,000. safari that is now only worth $7500.

For instance a Cape Buffalo hunt can run Minimum $12,000.
    But a Replacement skin can be purchased for as little as $ 100. & the horns as little as $300.

Its enough to make you sick when you think about it.

Long story Short , Make sure your taxidermist has enough Insurance for your project before you leave it with them.